PDA

View Full Version : touring classic

vyking67
06-13-2008, 05:46 AM
i am looking to get a step of touring classic brakes for my 67 camaro.. i plan i purchasing the C5 kit and not the hybrid C4.. has anyone bought and used these brake.. or do you know some one that has..

if i should be looking at a diffrent brake kit.. point me in the right direction...

thanks for all of your help

Chad-1stGen
06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
I can't speak to your specific kit. It might be worth mentioning that I bought a rear kit from them based on the C4 design.

It felt it was a quality kit but really didn't like the brake lines. I had a murderous time getting them to seal at the banjo bolt/caliper. I had to sand the mating surfaces A LOT to get them to seal properly. TC was responsive to my inquires and even sent me a new hose free of charge but I still had to sand the mating surface flat and flush. This turned a brake bleeding job into a 3 day affair sadly.

Brakes been on the car over 7K miles now and I haven't had any problems. They work fine.

130fe
06-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I bought the c5 kit and it is a nice one. I recently upgraded to an afx spindle and just sold the bracket hub setup. Overall good purchase and customer service with them is great!

chicane67
06-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Noel's kits and customer service are top notch... definitely a pleasure to work with and will continue to do so.

The Touring Classic's PBR based kits rock. Definate performers with a long history of excellent fit, finish and performance... and the best part... the parts availability is second to none. There is good reason that the Big Three use the same components in their own OEM offereings.

brn agn
06-16-2008, 02:53 AM
I am running this same kit on my car. Aside from the same problem that Chad-1stGen had, it is a really good package. I have a few pictures of the installation in the 2nd link in my signature.

69rs
06-16-2008, 06:12 AM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18433

Need I say more?
I guess I could update......I have run these bakes on the street, at Road Atlanta and on several auto cross events. Love them! Brakes are great and the customer service continues long after the sale!

1969CamaroRS
06-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I recently bought the AFX spindle and went with TC's front brake kit for the spindle. Its a nice quality kit, I'd recommend them.

On the front kit thou, you have to realize that your wheel choices narrow a bit as you need a wheel with a 1" mounting pad to clear the calipers so this pretty much means you will need to run a custom 2/3 piece wheel, or one of the V45s from Vintage Wheel Works many of the less expensive wheels (even in 17"/18") won't clear.

vyking67
06-17-2008, 04:31 AM
does the bolt boss on the drum brake spindle need to be machined or taken down to have the bracket sit properly... i have heard conflicting claims.. and i even heard that it depends .. and i might be able to just use some spacers on the lower bolt to compensate??

any truth to this..

derekf
06-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Spacers on the lower bolt would move the caliper further outboard, probably not the desired result unless you're moving the rotor out as well.

Apogee
06-18-2008, 08:33 AM
does the bolt boss on the drum brake spindle need to be machined or taken down to have the bracket sit properly... i have heard conflicting claims.. and i even heard that it depends .. and i might be able to just use some spacers on the lower bolt to compensate??

any truth to this..

All of the offsets are determined based on the hub being used in combination with the rotor and caliper combo. If you move one, you're going to have to move everything else to match.

As for the GM short-spindles, some companies make kits that will work with either the drum or disc spindles and other make their kits specifically for disc spindles only, so that may explain the conflicting claims you mentioned above. Normally, your best bet is to contact the company in question directly as they should be the experts with respect to their products. Noel at Touring Classics is good people and should be able to answer any questions you may have regarding compatibility.

Tobin
KORE3

vyking67
06-19-2008, 04:45 AM
i had spoke with noel a year ago i believe.. and he said the the upper mounting boss would need to be taken down on the spindle a bit to make the braket sit flat.. so i started to just look for a used set of disc brake spindle ... i then ran across a guy that bought the C5 kit from TC and he was told the same thing " you have to take a little off the spindle " but when he got the kit he was so excited he said that he pulled off his wheels and drums and put the bracket up to see what need to be done.. he said it fit fine....

so i guess long windedly do all drum brake spindles need to be taken down a bit on one of the mounting holes, to make the bracket sit flush... or is it just a slight diffrence maybe from casting that make you need to smooth it out... has anyone that has bought the C5 kit that had drums spindles originally not need to do any machining or filing to the spindle, to mnake the disc brake bracket sit flush?