PDA

View Full Version : Using Compression Fittings on Brake Lines

68 SuperRam
02-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Does anyone do this - is it safe - for normal driving?

Just curious.

gmachinz
02-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, it isn't really recommended-you really need to use a flare tool kit to do it right, and that is with using a flare union-not a compression fitting. I would advise against it. I have a kit from Mac Tools that works great! -Jabin

dennis68
02-10-2005, 10:00 AM
In a word..... N O !!!

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Hell no.

Buy a good double flaring tool and and a tubing bender. And get a coupla extra lines when you buy (at any auto parts store) so that you can practice or if you make a mistake. The lines come pre-flared so you will only have to cut and flare one end. The trick is to get a uniform flare all the way around.

wally8
02-10-2005, 03:12 PM
We use the nylon tubing and brass compression fittings on our circle track cars all the time.

The supposed problems are that the nylon tubing actually bulges a little under pressure.

The driver hasn't noticed any problems though and is happy with the system. We've never had a leak or a burst. You do need to protect them from debris though.

That said, I probably wouldn't use them on a street car. Too much risk for no real gain. We do it on the race cars because it's quick and if we tear up a car we can fix it fast. If you're completely anal about it (which we are) it's lighter too.

Wally

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Mine were compression at first but after thought (and discussion here) I decided "better safe than sorry" and did the flare gig..