PDA

View Full Version : Lower ball joints - loose fit in LCAs

derekf
06-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Okay - I know that the LBJ hole in the LCA gets larger over time as ball joints are pressed in and out, and I know that Moog makes some "problem solver" ball joints that are bigger to take up the slack, and that if needed, you can weld the LBJ to the arm to help keep them in place.

How loose of a fit is too loose to even weld them in? How welded do they need to be when they are indeed welded? I was able to press mine almost all the way in by hand, and I've welded over ~30% of the total circumference by tacking. They don't move around in the holes or anything, but I'm not filled with confidence.

TPI Monte SS
06-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Well, look at it this way. Once the weight of the car is on it, the springs and shocks push the car "up" so the lower ball joint really can't pop out on it's own; the spindle will keep it in place. It sure sounds like your arms were really worn out though! I remember having a chat with Marcus from SC&C about my LCA's when I bought the Howe tall lower ball joints because I already had the Moog Problem-Solver LBJ's in the car. The Moog ones had a splined case so that wears the hole out a bit bigger, so when you put stock size ones back in place they go in a little loose. He told me to tack-weld them in a triangle pattern and they should be fine. I've got a few hundred miles on them so far with no issues.

MrQuick
06-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree, tack it in 3 places and you should be fine. Or just buy new ones.

derekf
06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks, y'all.