PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose front brakes...

whytry
06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
I have been trying to figure out which way to go for a couple weeks now, and over the weekend my current m/c went out and I only had rear brakes... Luckily I was close to home. I will be running a manual setup, eventually 4 wheel disc, right now looking to upgrade just front's. I have the 18" Budnik Fat Lip Fontana's all around.

I have been looking at three setups, and all are board sponsors, if I recall. They are:

Touring Classics - Hybrid kit, 13" rotors C5 Caliper Drilled and Slotted, comes with new master cylinder, but I will need to find some drum spindles and hubs for their setup to work. They use a 2 piston caliper, and the added bling of 13" rotors

CPP - Seems to be a pretty good kit all around but I like the C5 Caliper better than the truck caliper they use on their kit, plus will need to get a new M/C - not a big issue, already know which one to use. 2 piston caliper. Can use my existing spindles.

Kore3 - True C5 setup, with C5 calipers, and C5 rotors, drilled and slotted. Also will need new m/c but again I know which one to get. 2 piston caliper Can use Disc Spindles and comes with new hubs.

If I have any of this wrong, then I need to rethink the setups, but from what I can tell they are all in the same price range of somewhere between $800-1000 total.

The car will be driven hard, but not an all out autocross warrior or track car. Mainly street use but still driven hard.... Since my car is now just sitting, I am hoping to get something ordered in the next week...

I'm not that familiar with Wilwood's stuff, so I am open to suggestions there as well.... Frank?

Any input would be appreciated.... I know I am not a brake guru...

jknight16
06-10-2008, 08:05 AM
My setup is a power-assisted Baer GT front (which is the same as a C5 caliper just with Baer's name on it) and the C5Z rear (from Kore3) w/ a CPP MC and I can tell you that this setup looks good and stops very very well. Tobin is a great guy (not that the others aren't...) and I wouldn't hesitate to work with him.

What's the price difference between the three options?

Oh, and if you need a set of disc spindles, i've got my factory ones lying around somewhere.

scherp69
06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Get ahold of Frank at http://www.gpsuperstore.com/ and talk to him about their Total Car Brake Package with Wilwood. It starts out at $1750 and goes up from there depending on what you want to upgrade. Here's a link to one of his threads talking about the kits. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37434

If you click on my build thread in my signature, I have pictures of the 12.2" kit with the red calipers, 6 piston for front and 4 piston for back. Unfortunately I don't have them installed yet so it's only pics of the parts. I've mocked up the rotors with 18" rims and they look good.

whytry
06-10-2008, 09:00 AM
With my Procharger, it makes it difficult to run power or Hydraboost. Plus the car has always been manual brakes so I am used to it....

I spoke to Tobin yesterday, his setup is really nice, I think it all depends on what I can get for my SSBC stock disc setup. If it's worth selling complete still mounted on the spindle or if its better to sell everything but the spindles... Tobin is one of the guys who brought up its probably worth more if I sell it complete with spindle. But then it leave me open to pretty much anything for my setup.

The Touring Classics looks like it will be about $1000 if I can't locate some drum hubs, and this would be selling my current setup with spindle

The Kore3 setup can reuse my existing spindle or the drum spindle (which I can't find from my original swap to disc brakes), comes with new hubs and it is about $1000 as well, but I will be keeping the spindle so selling my setup might be more difficult because it is missing the spindles.

The CPP setup can use either spindle but uses a C1500 truck cast caliper and is about $850....

guccieng
06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
CPP - Seems to be a pretty good kit all around but I like the C5 Caliper better than the truck caliper they use on their kit, plus will need to get a new M/C - not a big issue, already know which one to use. 2 piston caliper. Can use my existing spindles.

the cpp caliper is huge in comparison to the c5. why would you like the c5 better?

whytry
06-13-2008, 07:51 AM
From what I have read and heard as feedback from others, there amount of pressure to hit lock up is less on the CPP setup that the C5 caliper....