PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension component combination

speED
06-10-2008, 04:58 AM
I would like to upgrade the front suspension on a 67 Camaro. Currently these are the parts I have and would like to keep:
17" wheels
stock upper and lower control arms with urethane bushings.

I'm looking for a spring, shock, spindle and brake combination that will work good on the street. I would like to use Wilwood front brakes since I have a Wilwood kit on the rear. I would also like to drop the vehicle 1" (big block for powerplant).

$ is somewhat a concern, so I'm not interested in air rides and something that extreme!

Thank you,
ED

JLM
06-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Check out SC&C and their suspension package utilizing the ATS tall spindle.

Vastly improved suspension geometry, and the ATS tall spindle will lower the front of the car about an inch. It also will accept any c5/c6 corvette brake kit, which will include Wilwood.

speED
06-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Thank you Jason. I checked out their site once before, I will be giving them a call.

Does everyone else agree with Jason's suggestion or is there other options that are compatible in quality and performance?

guccieng
06-12-2008, 11:34 PM
sc&c stage 2 will provide similar results with less restrictions and lower cost. call marcus; he'll hook you up without trying to sell you stuff you don't need. the ats spindles are really cool, but will limit your wheel selection and cost quite a bit more. as for springs, the global west s-3 and eibach are right up your alley with a one inch drop and 500ish spring rate. if you go with a stock control arms, performance is not an issue; therefore rubber would be a better choice. only #2 to del-a-lum, delrin, or solid bushings. poly isn't really worth it, imho (if you're going to bind your suspension, do it with something soft like rubber).

speED
06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Thank you guys, I will give Marcus a call.

Mkelcy
06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
if you go with a stock control arms, performance is not an issue; therefore rubber would be a better choice.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Could you elaborate?

guccieng
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
the front suspension on first gens are not performance oriented. let's face: it sucks pretty bad. if you don't care enough to fix the inherent problems, you shouldn't expect any kind of real performance from it. for instance: the guldstrand mod was being done to brand new cars because it helped them on the racetrack. they were running different brakes and taller spindles to help them out, too. the factory wasn't concerned until a few years later with the 'radial tuned suspension'. i was just pointing out that there is no need for 'performance' bushings in a stock setup.