PDA

View Full Version : 5.3 in a chevelle

GUS68
02-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Hey guys!!! I buddy of mine at work recently aquired a 5.3l out of a 2000 Chevy pickup and is thinking about putting it in his 64 Chevelle. Is there a motor mount kit that will work for this swap and is there anyone who makes a wiring kit for this? I know he will need a PCM, what other things will he need to do this swap?

Zefhix
02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey guys!!! I buddy of mine at work recently aquired a 5.3l out of a 2000 Chevy pickup and is thinking about putting it in his 64 Chevelle. Is there a motor mount kit that will work for this swap and is there anyone who makes a wiring kit for this? I know he will need a PCM, what other things will he need to do this swap?

Aww...damnit. A guy did this in his Red 70/71 Chevelle and it's detailed out in one of primedia's magazine that I picked up at SEMA this year. The car was the cover car, I believe, as well with a Yukon dash panel. Anyone know what magazine that was? I just threw all my SEMA junk out two days ago except the NOS drinks I scored from Holley :)

GUS68
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I belive these motors are the same dimension wise, as an LS6 except the 5.3 is cast iron with aluminum heads. Correct? If so wouldnt it be the same as putting an LS6 into an older car? People are doing this all the time.

protour_chevelle
02-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Aww...damnit. A guy did this in his Red 70/71 Chevelle and it's detailed out in one of primedia's magazine that I picked up at SEMA this year. The car was the cover car, I believe, as well with a Yukon dash panel. Anyone know what magazine that was? I just threw all my SEMA junk out two days ago except the NOS drinks I scored from Holley :)

I'm on it. Just let me resize the pics.

-Matt

protour_chevelle
02-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I belive these motors are the same dimension wise, as an LS6 except the 5.3 is cast iron with aluminum heads. Correct? If so wouldnt it be the same as putting an LS6 into an older car? People are doing this all the time.

The 5.3 is the same as the 5.7 and 6.0l. Lots of the parts change over except the obvious, pistons, rods, crank. The 5.3 and 6.0l are iron blocks with alum heads. The 5.7(from the Camaro, Vette) are alum blocks, with alum heads. To make the swap easier run a Camaro oilpan, windage tray, and pick up tube. Makes the swap more straight forward, 3 inch shallower then the truck pan allows for lots of extra clearance. Intakes also swap over but you need to swap the complete intake(ie: injectors, fuel rails, etc) but why would you do that? You make a nice difference in torque with the truck intakes. Stock vs Stock that is.

Edit: Sheesh I keep on hitting the wrong key

-Matt

protour_chevelle
02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Here you go. The owner made the mounts himself however BRP sells a kit to do the conversion. So does Speed & Performance(but you have to send you oilpan and pickup tube in for mods. Has to deal with the placement of the motor)

But we're talking a 64 Chevelle. Worst comes to worst you could mate SB engine mounts to the 5.3 mounts. I'm sure theres a company out there though. Its an LSX motor so anything for a LS1, 6.0l, etc will work as far as engine mounts.

Edit once again: If you want to read the article or have any questions about what the guy is running just ask me and I'll get the pics/info that you need.

-Matt

Zefhix
02-10-2005, 01:59 PM
What a kick-@$$ team we got here!! That's the one! Thanks...

Duesey
02-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Does anyone have any info on adapting the stock wiring harness into the 5.3 Harness or is it better to get the Painless harness? Not sure what I need to do. I have a 72' Chevelle and just recieved a 5.3 with 4l60 complete with factory harness and computer. Also would like to know what I need for the fuel system. Do I need to fab an inline fuel pump into the tank or do external pumps work fine. Anything to make it easier. I hope to have it in and running in a weekend or two so I would like to have everything I need before I start. Thanks for any help.

protour_chevelle
02-24-2005, 06:52 AM
To save money on the harness. I suggest giving www.speartech.com a call. They can re-work the harness thats on the 5.3 so it will plug in and work with the rest of your car. They can also re-flash the computer to delete unneeded things.

If you look on your intake.... Do you have 2 lines coming out on the passenger side? They will lead to the back of the car. I'm pretty sure all trucks have the same style intake design but double check. The truck intakes have the 2 fuel lines already there. No need like the LS1 guys. You have your feed and return line. The fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel rails so all you have to do is plum your feed from a inline pump or intake pump and send your return back to your tank.

If you need anymore questions answered feel free to ask.

-Matt

Duesey
02-24-2005, 11:46 AM
That sounds good on fuel system. Easier than I imagined and I won't be able to check the fuel lines for a few days since it's still at my buddies shop. How about the radiator? Are these 5.3's reverse cooled or anything special? Will the truck radiator suffice? More than likely I will have the factory harness modified by speartech. Sounds like more options for less money than the painless.

Bill Howell
05-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Glad I found this old thread. Looks like some of the same issues I will have with the GTO. Does anyone have the link to BPR? I need to check with them on mounts.
Also, Matt if you see this, I would love a photo copy of the mag article if possible, or if you see this Steve R, maybe you can find an extra copy laying around at work you can send me.
Thanks guys,
Nothing like the search function!!!!!

derekf
05-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Bill: http://www.brphotrods.com/parts.html

Bill Howell
05-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks Derek and Ralph!! I talked with them today and they do make a kit for the early A-bodies. Should have one soon.
Thanks again