PDA

View Full Version : supercharging a VUE

SaturnVUEguy
06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
For a while now I've been dreaming of supercharging my VUE. My VUE is a fwd V6 (3.5L Honda V6 250hp). There are no pre-made kits for this car/engine combo though, so I know I would have to fabricate it myself.

What I need help with is just ideas of what all I should do. The speed limiter kicks in at 100 and stock it reaches that with no problems. I'd like to change that, but no idea if there is anyone that knows how yet. Engine and trans are stock internals, would they need to be beefed up?

Any other helpful/usefull info would be greatly appreciated

jerome
06-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Find out what the compression ratio is, and see if it is suitable for supercharging. Call Procharger and order their smallest blower. Figure out how to mount it in your serpentine system, and then make tubing from the blower to the MAF.

Keeping the boost low will help your transmission and internals live. Also reduce the need for an intercooler.

As for the computer, call pcmforless or a similar tuning company and see if they can do your computer, or if they know who can.

SaturnVUEguy
06-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I won't be doing this project for a while now yet, but doing my research ahead of time, before I start digging in and "oh crap!" happens.

I will look into pcmforless though, thanks!

moreHP
06-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Of course you can! I put this on a little SL2 coupe a few years ago!
It was a swap meet special from a mercedes and then I made everything else for it.:drive1:

MonzaRacer
06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
WEll you couldalso look at remote turbo setup too from STS. They have universal kits available

JayR
06-08-2008, 10:53 AM
As impressive as MoreHP's install is, I agree on the universal turbo kit. Way less engineering and if done carefully, probably a bit cheaper. You might also check Honda and Saturn forums for people who have done similar things with that motor.

If you have too much compression, you can always install thicker head gaskets.

TheRoadVirus
06-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Thicker head gaskets aren't going to drop the CR that much. It's generally not a good idea on a boosted engine, anyways.

SaturnVUEguy
06-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I am a member at Saturnfans.com, and while a few guys there have tossed around the idea of supercharging these V6 VUEs, no one has yet. Most of them are looking for kits that fit Honda and Acura models with this same engine. I know that no matter what, I'm going to need to fabricate it, so why not just do it from scratch?

Problem with turbocharging this 3.5L is that there are no true exhaust manifold. The manifold has a catalytic converter built right into, which would mean the turbo would need to be placed further downstream. I don't want to go that route since it sounds like a lot more extra work (and I'd like to pop the hood and see the supercharger right there).

Gtrpunk23
06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Do it from scratch. I have a 360 magnum motor I'm buildint and putting a procharger on in my challenger and started with a dakota bracket but by the time I was done making it fit, all I really used was the semi circle that my headunit bolts into. I have enitrely new brackets and wasted some money cutting up a good truck bracket. It really wasn't toooo bad if you have the tools to work with. I'm lucky enough to have pretty decent machine shop in my dads shop. Oh and your life will be muuuch easier if you can weld aluminum, at least in my case.

SaturnVUEguy
06-25-2008, 11:31 AM
The plan is to do it all from scratch. See my other post in The Marketplace where I'm also looking for input

DeltaT
06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Hondata has a good rep for tuning Honda computers - maybe they can help remove the speed limiter and with other tuning stuff.

May be cheaper to start with something else, but our projects don't always make sense to others, eh? Mine sure doesn't.

Jim

SaturnVUEguy
06-26-2008, 12:38 PM
I know that very few people would understand my project. But when you have limited funds and space, you gotta work with what you have. Actually, I shouldn't even do this at all with the bills I have. Like I've said though, this will take some time for me to get to the point where I start buying parts.

I will look into hondata though. The drivetrain is all Honda, not sure about the electronics, though I'd imagine thats all Honda too (for the drivetrain anyway)

SaturnVUEguy
07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Found this thread in another forum I'm a member at. Anyone have any inputs? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93703

Last night my wife and I had some friends over, and the guy and I were looking under the hood and talking, sharing some ideas on how to route everything. We even came up with the idea of re-locating the battery to the back, under the floor with the spare tire. Here's a shot of the engine compartment...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/07/17456148233-1.jpg?1210919530