PDA

View Full Version : sway bar tearing frame rails

jc70chevy
06-06-2008, 05:30 PM
i was driving my camaro today and out of no where i have this terrible sound coming from under the rear of the car wondering why a rear sway bar would tear like this and a way to patch the frame railsnow this is killing me is there a different sway bar that would eliminate this?

MrQuick
06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Not sure what set up you are running but it sounds like your end links are too short. They should allow a free range of motion of the rear housing travel. A picture would help.

jc70chevy
06-09-2008, 09:13 PM
try to post a pic just trying to figure out how to repair the ripped frame rail can you patch it or have to put new frame rail on

MrQuick
06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
You can make a cap or patch it. Cap would be better.

Does your bar kit have the u bolt that runs in then out of the frame or is it stock? You can make a new and better mount and incorporate it into the frame cap.

*edit, just noticed you have a 70...if its an add on kit it might just have 2 self tapping bolts.

79T/Aman
06-27-2008, 07:37 AM
also what size sway bar are you using and springs, because it should be noted that the fade of using stiff sway bars with stock springs or too soft a spring for performance/race use will put a tremendous amount of stress on the stock sway bar mounts that were never designed for that.
So reenforcement of the stock mount points should be par for the course.

silver69camaro
06-27-2008, 09:49 AM
We can't make any recommendation without getting some idea of what is going on. Pictures?

Was the old bar installed properly?
How was it attached to the frame?
How was it attached to the housing?
What were you doing at the time?
How large is the bar?
Are the rails rusty?
etc, etc, etc....

jc70chevy
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
sorry so long to reply actually trying to patch frame rail as noted above it was a suspension technique bar took it off and going to sell it i dont like the mountingof this bar have opted to by the hotchkis tvs setup and quit trying to save money do it right the first time. thanks for all the advice. and would post pics but cant figure it out sorry:camaro: :camaro:

David Pozzi
07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm not crazy about the Hotchkis mounting, the links mount off the rear seat area. I'd rather see it come off the frame rail but we haven't had any trouble with the Hotchkis mounting other than some slipping of the bar on the rear axle housing clamps.
David

jc70chevy
07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
so what do you suggest? im open to thoughts i put it to frame rail and it tore the frame rail

David Pozzi
07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I guess just go with the Hotchkis bar, we have autocrossed and open tracked our 73 Camaro a lot and no damage to the Hotchkis mounts at all. It just seems to me that the frame rail would be a better place to connect to rather than the seat pan like Hotchkis does but their mount spreads the load and uses 4 bolts per side.

It would seem you could reinforce your present bar mounts, but you haven't provided any photos for us to see, so it's not possible for us to say for sure.
David

jc70chevy
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
sorry david ive tried to post pics but for some reason i cant get it right they always say to big

protour73
07-08-2008, 12:27 PM
sorry david ive tried to post pics but for some reason i cant get it right they always say to big

if it says the pic is "too big", then you must be trying to save it on this site as an attachment. Go to Photobucket.com, get a free account and upload your pics to your Photobucket account. Then post them here!!!

jc70chevy
07-08-2008, 06:39 PM
thanks
ill try that