PDA

View Full Version : Steeroids rack and pinion questions

Steve25
02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
The article on the steeroids unit for a 1st gen. camaro says that it is remanufactured from a 90s GM performance rack and pinion. Does anyone have any idea whether the internals were modified for an early camaro? If not, this might be a good rack and pinion for me to use when I try to fabricate front steer for my 67 camaro because the dimensions are very close to what I need so to minimize bump steer.

zuess4u
02-10-2005, 11:00 AM
The article on the steeroids unit for a 1st gen. camaro says that it is remanufactured from a 90s GM performance rack and pinion. Does anyone have any idea whether the internals were modified for an early camaro? If not, this might be a good rack and pinion for me to use when I try to fabricate front steer for my 67 camaro because the dimensions are very close to what I need so to minimize bump steer.

They (Sterriods) told me the rack was from an early 90s Lumina, I dont think that rack will fly as a front steer though.

In a few weeks, Unisteer or Maval i forget which one will have a kit for rear steer, which when I talked to Dave, said no OEM rack out there will work correctly with 1st gen rear steer geometry. Their racks are custom made for the 1st gens.

Now this is what he said, you may be able to figure out another way. Their system should run around 750.00. I hope to be buying one next month, when I do I will try to set up a group purchase deal.

If Im crossing the line with any moderator, please let me know.

Steve25
02-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I would be very interested in this. Do they have a website or maybe a phone number to find out more?

rocketrod
02-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I would interested in a group purchase.

zuess4u
02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
They do have a web site, but there is no info on this kit YET! www.unisteer.com I spoke with Dave right after the SEMA show, they had just displayed the rack kit there. I told him this this kit would go like wildfire IF it works right.
I also mentioned this site. He posted up here once or twice, but there wasnt a lot of buzz about the product. I will call him and inquire about the group prurchase.
We discussed the kit and how well it works. Apparently hes driving and has been driving around a 68 Camaro with the kit on it. Tells me its flawless.

But Im sure any one of us will put it to the test, and review it. Our project may get the kit first, but Im sure most of you are far past our stage of the game, as far as beeing ready for the road. I will keep you posted on this, and the T-56 lower cost conversion.

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 02:08 PM
I love a nice rack. These are used on Saleen S7 among other cars.

Woodward Modular Steering Rack Any Length or Orientation (http://www.woodwardsteering.com/hot.htm)

Great guy, too--but he's not much for tire kickers, so don't go knockin unless you're serious.

The price? One Million Dollars.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Naw, just kidding--but very expensive. Just thought you'd like an FYI.

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Maybe I should contact them about doing an install and test article.. not on my car though since i LOVE my DS&E Saginaw 800 box :D

I thought the Steeroids unit had bump steer "issues"???

zuess4u
02-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Maybe I should contact them about doing an install and test article.. not on my car though since i LOVE my DS&E Saginaw 800 box :D

I thought the Steeroids unit had bump steer "issues"???

It does, I cant speak from first hand exsperince, but just about anyone who has this system that drives HARD, has commented on the issue, and of course Dave from unisteer went over all the problems with the steeriod rack as well.

zuess4u
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
I love a nice rack. These are used on Saleen S7 among other cars.

Woodward Modular Steering Rack Any Length or Orientation (http://www.woodwardsteering.com/hot.htm)

Great guy, too--but he's not much for tire kickers, so don't go knockin unless you're serious.

The price? One Million Dollars.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Naw, just kidding--but very expensive. Just thought you'd like an FYI.

1 millllion dollars for sure, cool site though. I always wondered who built those.

Steve25
02-10-2005, 06:07 PM
This new rack and pinion would be nice. The only problem that I can see is that I want to go with the new SED spindle when they are available. This new spindle changes instant center, but if this new kit offers some adjustibility it should still work just fine.

Also, thanks for the FYI. This might become really important to me. I promise I won't call him until I am dead sure that I will buy something.

David Pozzi
02-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Here are some Unisteer pics on Team Camaro.
http://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimatebb.php/topic/7/7573.html

MuscleRodz
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I saw those pics over at TC when they were first posted. I have two concerns. One is the very tight clearances with headers as shown. The other is using it with certain motors that may require using a modified oil pan. Packaging would be way better if someone would come up with a good front steer rack.

Mike