PDA

View Full Version : C5 to 1st Gen Swap Hub problem --- What's all the hubbub, bub?

Joe_Rocket
02-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I got a set of drum brake hubs from Rick's 1st Gen a few weeks ago. The machine shop turned them down for me today and offered to pop in my new bearing races. But it turns out that on one hub the old bearing race nearly fell out. The shop guy says the new one isn't tight enough and I have to get another hub.

Is there any fix for this?

MrQuick
02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
yeah send it back to Rick's, im sure he'll get you a better one? The hub might have had a bearing seize and spin the race...hows the inside look? Grainy?Rough? Unless its worn or the wrong one ,your gonna have to replace it. Hows the rest of the C5 swap going?

Joe_Rocket
02-10-2005, 12:08 AM
The swap hasn't exactly started. But thanks for asking. The front suspension is done, though.

The Touring Classics Hybrid Kit for the front finally shipped a couple days ago. I'd been waiting for over a month since everything was on back order. I didn't mind the wait since the guys at Touring Classics were so nice on the phone, spent time asking all about my project, and I caught the end of the Xmas Sale. I was just trying to get the hubs prepared for when the kit arrives.

The rear setup came off an LS1 Camaro. I just had the rear rotors turned and cleaned all the parts up. I got an 8.5 10 bolt housing from a 73 Nova. I cleaned that up and am almost ready to drop it at the powder coating shop. But I am going to weld on some little brackets to hold the brake hoses where they meet the hard lines and figure out what I need for the Parking brake cables.

I don't know what takes longer, bolting it together and fabricating the little odds and ends to make it work, or the running all over Southern Cal. to get the various parts.

In the end, the biggest hold up will be figuring out what wheels I want to run.

Steve68
02-10-2005, 09:16 AM
I would watch Rick's, I sent a part back, nothing big 22.00 bucks worth, they claim to never have got it, went round and round, I would sent it registered, then they can't loose it went it shows up, just my experience, Steve I love Ricks, there close and have great parts,

Joe_Rocket
02-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Rick's is sending another hub out. They told me to just keep the bad hub as a door stop. :P