PDA

View Full Version : Question for Paul@Hydroboost

MStennes
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Paul,
Last year I bought one of your hydro setups and love it!! I'm looking at going with a Unisteer rack unit but I have a question that Unisteer couldnt answer. How will my Hydroboost work with their rack? I have always thoght that rack units liked lower pressure pumps than the old recirculating ball boxes. I have a AGR box now I want to pull out and go with the rack. I did find out that I had to go back to the stock pump and get rid of my AGR pump as it was to low of pressure. The hydroboost and power steering would not work unless reved, as soon as I pulled the AGR pump and went back the stocker it all worked great. Also if it helps I'm running Baer Brakes. One last question is there any billet brake master cylinders you would reccomend? Thanks for your help and fine products. Love the new website too!
Mike Stennes :firefire:

Hydratech®
02-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Last year I bought one of your hydro setups and love it!! :look:

The installation of a rack and pinion steering system in place of your steering box setup will be fine, as we have worked with many many C3 Corvettes running the Steeroids conversions with the hydraulic brake assist systems with excellent results.

All the talk about reduced pressure pumps and such when running a rack and pinion setup is nothing more than a band aid for the situations. Explain ??? The input shaft of a rack and pinion is actually a torsion bar, not a dead solid bar of steel as most people believe, and works in conjunction with the valving inside of the rack to control "feel". The "firm feel" rack and pinions are only different from the regular racks by virtue of a different input shaft and valving, they are otherwise identical. So, if it is known that the steering input effort is controlled by the spec of the input shaft and valving, then why all the talk about reduced pressure / volume pumps? It is simply a band aid attempt to increase road feel, in that it is MUCH easier / cheaper to tell you that you need to reduce pressures / volumes vs taking the racks apart and fitting them with specifically designed "firm feel" input shafts and valving.

I did find out that I had to go back to the stock pump and get rid of my AGR pump as it was to low of pressure. The hydroboost and power steering would not work unless reved, as soon as I pulled the AGR pump and went back the stocker it all worked great.
It must've simply been a defective pump, as we have worked with the AGR pumps to find that they *usually* produce MORE volumes / pressures than the stock pumps, unless there is a problem (as in your case). I'd be willing to bet that an "autopsy" of the pump would have revealed either a few sticking vanes or a sticking pressure control spool valve.

All we ever tell the C3 Vette guys (running the both the hydraulic brake assist and the rack and pinion setups) is to leave the stock spec pump in place, yet dial in some extra caster during wheel alignment (which increases steering effort somewhat and provides a cleaner "on center" feel). If there isn't enough volume being produced by the ps pump, when you apply the brakes it may feel like the assist to the steering is temporarily being reduced for a split second. The usual Saginaw P series stock pumps are generally capable of producing anywhere from 2.7 to 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute flow rate), which is right about on target for use with a rack + our setup...

One last question is there any billet brake master cylinders you would reccomend?
http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/

Brace yourself for some sticker shock though.

Thanks for your help and fine products. Love the new website too!
Thank you! Let me know if you need any further informations...