PDA

View Full Version : Low Budget

Chevette ProTour
02-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm looking for a cheap brake upgrade for my (soon-to-be) Quad4 powered Chevette. Will any other GM products bolt on? I've never worked on anything this small before.

69boo307
02-10-2005, 05:13 AM
pics?? My first car was an '82 chevette. I always dreamed of souping it up :)

Piet
02-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Quad4 powered?..... I have always heard nasty things about the Quad4. What were the pro/con's of a Quad4 for you?

Chevette ProTour
02-10-2005, 07:46 AM
The '87 Chevette Scooter is sitting in a relations barn right now. I am trying to price this project out strictly, and brakes could be an issue. The Quad4 (180HP) is connected to a T5 by a Quad4 Rods adapter.
The Quad4 did have early design flaws (bad head gaskets, cracked heads, oiling problems...little stuff) but these were fixed. I have a '92 LGO code in W41 trim. It is not a refined engine (like a Honda) it sounds ugly and harsh when uncorked. The Chevette weighs in at under a ton so it should really haul. I suspect the Quad4 weighs less than the lump that is in it now. In my opinion, the problem with the Quad4 was the crappy cars it was put into and the East/West positioning.

Piet
02-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Cool... I was mentioning in another thread that Chevettes were untapped potential. I will enjoy watching your progress.

fuzzyonion
02-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't know about bolt on, but the lug pattern is the same as the Vega and Monza.... and MG. The Monza had vented rotors around '76... but I have no idea if they fit your spindle. The Chevette also has similar-in-design brakes to the Fiero... which has a 5 lug pattern same as the vented hat Cavalier etc... but solid rotors like the Chevette I think...

Maybe that will get some ideas flowing on a CBB setup... ? Cool project anyways.