PDA

View Full Version : Separating The Pitman Arm From The Center Link?

toofun
02-09-2005, 05:30 AM
I want to remove my powersteering box from the car and ran into a little snag. I know there is three bolts that hold the box to the frame but how do you remove the pitman arm from the centerlink? I want to keep the arm attached to the box. Do I use a pickle fork? Do I have to disconnect other parts first? Doesnt seem to want to move. Any help would be appreciated. The car is off the ground on jack stands right now.

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN

Woody
02-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I would recommend getting the currect puller. You can "rent" them for free at Kragan or Autozone. Get the front end rebuild puller kit which comes with several different size pullers.

You don't have to remove anything else as long as you have enough slack for the pitman arm to slide away from the centerlink. If your steering box is unbolted from the frame that should give you enough room to slide the pitman arm out of the centerlink with it still attached to the steering gear. It would probably be easier to take if off of the steering box though. It will only go on one way due to the splines so you dont have to worry about getting in back on in the same position.

WS6
02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
if you have a medium to big two jaw puller you can use that, if not just rent the tool from autozone or something. if you can get on top of it that is. im not sure what car your working on so i dont know if your pitman arm swings out into the open or happens to stay under the frame any. once you pop it you can push the center link down to get it to come out from under the pitman arm. already having the wheels off the ground will help this. you may have to push with some effort, but it should just come out.