PDA

View Full Version : Weight jacks

zuess4u
02-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Alright here goes. 67 Camaro. We are trying to have adjustable ride height, without the pain of crawling under the car and adjusting a hidden spring adjuster.

Our budget is a concern or we would just buy some shock waves and be done with it.

Heres the thought: The car will be lowered about 2" inches for track days, and only in the weeds for crusing or shows. We are thinking of welding a shock mount on the bottom of the plate that the top of the spring rests on (weight jack). Thus keeping the stock location. We are also using a 9.5 650lbs Hypercoil, we figure the car will mostly see this 2" to 3" drop.

The main problem we can see is finding a shock short enough, maybe there is, we havent gotten that far yet.

If anyone has any advise or thoughts on this hair brained idea, please let us know. I would e-mail DP, but I dont want to bugg him too much.

wally8
02-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey zuess4u,

I've never seen anyone mount them like that. Usually you just move the shock outside the spring pocket and fab up some new mounts. You'll get a little better response from your shocks that way too.

The other thing you could do is cut away part of the outside spring pocket and use the adjusters like Denny has. Not recommended without a cage though.

Wally

zuess4u
02-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey zuess4u,

I've never seen anyone mount them like that. Usually you just move the shock outside the spring pocket and fab up some new mounts. You'll get a little better response from your shocks that way too.

The other thing you could do is cut away part of the outside spring pocket and use the adjusters like Denny has. Not recommended without a cage though.

Wally

Thanks Wally, we are looking into relocating the shock too, we just hate to screw it up, or get the wrong angle. DP e-mailed last night, and we may have another alternative. Your right with your suggestion though, thanks alot.

PAI Racing
02-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Check out Landrum or some other stock car suspension places. There is a lot of trick stuff out there for "stock-stub" classes including weight jackers and the like. You may find something that works and doesn't require duplicitive engineering efforts.

zuess4u
02-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Check out Landrum or some other stock car suspension places. There is a lot of trick stuff out there for "stock-stub" classes including weight jackers and the like. You may find something that works and doesn't require duplicitive engineering efforts.

Thanks for the directtion, those are the places I look, they do have good products that are priced reasonable. Im using Landrum 250lbs leafs and spring sliders for the rear, and a rear disc brake came with hats, calipers, brackets, and pads for like 400.00.

The front suspension stuff is a little tricky, today I ordered the hidden spring adjusters, and have a plan for those to work (maybe). Still will be considering relocating the shock, but need to hold off until I get my UPAs from Pole Position of Denver. Their fully adjustable, but look a little on the weak side. I think they will be fine for what we are doing anyway.

BRIAN
02-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I am actually using same set up and having same problem. I thought of bolt on upper shock mtg with a maybe 3/4 square hole on adjuster that can be turned from top with a 3/4 ratchet and extension? I also want to keep shock in stock place. The PPA's are heavy pieces I guess I will have to see how they hold up. Also need UCA bumper somehow.

PAI Racing
02-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I have them on my car too. The one I have replaces the whole spring pocket and allows adjustment from the top side and still allows the shock to come through the center of the jacker. I had a bracket made to mount the top of my shock above the A-arm pickup point.

PAI Racing
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Here are a couple of photos, for reference.

Dang, says the files too large to post. PM me and I'll email you the pics.

PAI Racing
02-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Since a number of people wanted to see this, I resized to post. The ring around the base of the shock is the top of the threaded jack, which mounts in the old spring pocket.

BRIAN
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
How are you turning adjuster from top? That is sort of the idea I was going with and was going to use standard shock and be able to fab some sort of matching tool and surface on adjuster to turn easily from the top? The problem is having to disassemble to adjust correct? Probably easier to just convert to coil overs but I like the challenge.

PAI Racing
02-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I put a big channel lock on that round adjuster and turn it to adjust up or down. Nothing comes apart. The spring rides on the underside of that adjuster. The adjuster is threaded into a threaded tube in the frame rail.