PDA

View Full Version : How to keep the 'satin' look of a base coat

Johnny Blaze
05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I have a paint that I am thinking of using on a project. It is a ChromaBase base coat clear coat.

I really like the look of it without a clear on it. Kind of low gloss satin look.

What can I do to keep this? I am sure it would not be a good idea not to put a clear over it.

Can I add a flattening agent to the clear? Is there a low gloss clear?

ANy ideas?

Thanks!

TonyL
05-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes to both. you can add a flattener or use a satin or flat clear. They have both now.

Johnny Blaze
05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Alchemist
05-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Johnny,

In California, flattening agents are no longer available. They do make pre-flattened luster clears that are already formulated with the flattening agent. You can adjust the luster by adding a compatible "gloss clear" to the mix. You'll have to do that by trial and error though I believe most manufacturers have a formulation readily availble. You can adjust from there. I've used both DuPont and PPG over the years but mostly PPG lately. They have a "flex-N-flat" clearcoat that you can apply over your DuPont basecoat.

Here's another product that might interest you:

SEM Corporation recently came out with a Satin black finish that is mar resistant and will not chalk! I've used it a few times and it works great. Just be aware that more than two coats will start to bring up the luster to perhaps a semi-gloss. I usually test a panel prior to application.

Here's the link!

http://sem.ws/Catalog.asp?prod=272

Hope this helps!

Alchemist

Carsofabq
05-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I am probably coming in a little late here but here goes. the best thing to do is paintthe car like you normaly would. base coat and then clear coat put three or four coats and then wet sand everything down with 500 or 600. and then spray 1 to 2 coats of the flat clear you will need to put even coats like a candy because some flat clears will shine more with more coats.

Ok now this will ensure you a good quality job when you wet sand the car down you are getting it flat getting out any little trash that might have creeped in and locking all your base down with a high quality clear. you have to remember that you can not buff the flat clear so any trash or runs are there and you will have to live with them

hope this helps.