PDA

View Full Version : Is air conditioning a must?

got6spd?
05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I was just wondering how often you guys use your AC? Do you feel it's necessary? I'm building a 68 in the Bay Area California and was wondering if it was worth it. I haven't driven the car for a few years but I do remember it having pretty good ventilation with the kick panels and side vents.
Basically I have my whole car apart and now would be the time to do it. I'm either stepping up to do a procharger for my 383 or a vintage air AC, what do you guys think?

jy211
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
AIR CONDITIONING

I'd rather have ac then a pro charger :screwy: but again I am in South Florida. A/c system here help sell cars. :bicycle:

A/C gets used every time I drive. I have a VA kit waiting to install into my 56', hopefully this weekend.

nekkidhillbilly
05-20-2008, 06:23 PM
well i use ac everyday in my truck

so yeah its a must

Steve1968LS2
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Not where you live.. or where I live.. :)

To me it's just added weight and clutter.. then again I don't live in Florida. lol

Fesler built
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Vintage Air system is a must you will use it all the time with out a doubt. I have them in stock for most cars if you decide you want to find out about them. Only issue is you will need a front runner system or another bracket system to get the AC on the engine. I carry those as well

ProdigyCustoms
05-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Would you buy a new car without A/C? A/C is something we have come to "expect". And unless the car is a street fighter, I really feel is is "Expected" in higher end builds.

Most times we are trying to add the comforts we have become accustom to in new vehicles like A/C, Power Windows, Sound systems, Fuel injection, overdrives, better performance in suspension, brake, acceleration, etc.

I think that is the general idea for most of us building Pro Touring cars. To make them more civilized and more what we have become used to, in a classic package.

I think from a resale stand point is is a huge deduction. When we had the Prodigy Vette for sale that was the number one bitch from potential suitors. No A/C! The A/C had to be sacrificed for the ProCharger. It was one or the other on that car. Now you would think in a little 554 RWHP / 2800LB roadster, who cares about A/C

Only EVERYONE!

class67
05-20-2008, 08:04 PM

To me it's just added weight and clutter.. then again I don't live in Florida. lol

I agree with Steve, being frome the bay area myself...I don't think that it is really necessary. Unless you plan on selling it or would like the added comfort.

monza
05-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I live even farther north, I love the AC. No not necessary but it sure is nice. I think Frank nailed it on his explanation.

Vegas69
05-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Depends on the quality of the build as said..it's all about the total package that day you split ways.

got6spd?
05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I always felt that AC was just clutter and uneccesary but after that heat wave last week I started thinking otherwise. Then I started thinking about trips to Hot August Nights(Oh yeah, the car's going to be black on black, hot!!).

How much should the whole conversion cost? And is there a less expensive way then buying a $1500 pulley setup (I'm a student on a budget). Lastly, will running the AC affect the cooling system and the idle quality, my cam is pretty big, XR292s.

Thanks for all the replies

got6spd?
05-20-2008, 10:21 PM
oh yeah, I'm pretty sure this car is going with me to the grave:evil:or at least I hope

TonyL
05-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd give just about anything for it. My car hasn't even a fan motor! The vents don't do a lot of good sitting in traffic. I've thought long and hard at trying to figure out how to adapt a vintage air unit to my car. If I could afford it, I'd have one already.

ProdigyCustoms
05-21-2008, 04:23 AM
How much should the whole conversion cost? And is there a less expensive way then buying a $1500 pulley setup (I'm a student on a budget). Lastly, will running the AC affect the cooling system and the idle quality, my cam is pretty big, XR292s.

The total kit is $1295 for the best Gen IV kit. You will not need high dollar accesorie drives, the kit comes with bracket and compressor and we have fitments for a lot of scenarios.

Yes the A/C will let you know if your cooling system is inadequate. And unfortunatly it shows most when your sitting still in traffic when you need the A/C the most. At 60 MPH when the wind is flying through the car and you can almost stand to be in the cabin, the wind is also rushing through your radiator helping cooling. A worst case senario for cooling might be a new radiator package with High performance fans, budget $900 for this for a drop in badd ass set up. DO NOT try to save money on E bay on the radiator! But you may not need one at all. Every car is different, every car reacts different, you might be fine. But just in case make sure you have a little cash ready, or you will be frustated to say the least.

As for your cam. The A/C will not change the way your car idles at a given RpM, but it will try to pull the motor down a bit when you turn on the A/C, which will change your idle.

You will need a easy to install soliniod to kick up the idle when the A/C is one. just like the factory used.

CamaroLance
05-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Frank, can the vintage air compressor be mounted on a ls1 with stock z-28/trans am serpentine setup?

BonzoHansen
05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Another perspective: I need to add AC to the car because with the windows down the kids get blown apart in the back seat at highway speeds. I don't want cruising to be no fun for them.

69keith
05-21-2008, 07:50 AM
The total kit is $1295 for the best Gen IV kit. You will not need high dollar accesorie drives, the kit comes with bracket and compressor and we have fitments for a lot of scenarios.

Yes the A/C will let you know if your cooling system is inadequate. And unfortunatly it shows most when your sitting still in traffic when you need the A/C the most. At 60 MPH when the wind is flying through the car and you can almost stand to be in the cabin, the wind is also rushing through your radiator helping cooling. A worst case senario for cooling might be a new radiator package with High performance fans, budget $900 for this for a drop in badd ass set up. DO NOT try to save money on E bay on the radiator! But you may not need one at all. Every car is different, every car reacts different, you might be fine. But just in case make sure you have a little cash ready, or you will be frustated to say the least.

As for your cam. The A/C will not change the way your car idles at a given RpM, but it will try to pull the motor down a bit when you turn on the A/C, which will change your idle.

You will need a easy to install soliniod to kick up the idle when the A/C is one. just like the factory used.

Does the bracket that comes with the kit allow for passenger side mounting of the compressor and use with tall valve covers on a sbc in a 69 camaro?

ProdigyCustoms
05-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Frank, can the vintage air compressor be mounted on a ls1 with stock z-28/trans am serpentine setup?

We provide a adapter bracket that works off the stock bracket. it moves the compressor out 5/8"

ProdigyCustoms
05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Does the bracket that comes with the kit allow for passenger side mounting of the compressor and use with tall valve covers on a sbc in a 69 camaro?

We can do either side of the engine for short and long water pump, for exhaust manifolds or headers. We just need to have a little Q and A session and we can hook you up with the correct bracket. Most brackets move the compressor outward and tall covers should not be a issue.

Steve68
05-22-2008, 04:07 AM

Come visit Frank and I in July or August, We'll go to Old Town and hang outside, it's real nice out usually around 96/97 degrees 100% humidity, and that around 11PM, nice and comfy lol

Like Frank said, I think its expected in cars nowadays, I know I use it!

Nessumsar
05-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I don't even have vent motors in my Nova, let alone a/c. I live in the Long Beach area and I just put up with a sweaty back. To each his own I guess.

shizzy
05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
when I was 18 and was looking for every last bit of power gain I didnt care. now that im 31 after the 5th 12 hour workday I just want to hop in, click on the A/C and ride comfy.

barno68
05-25-2008, 08:17 AM

Maybe that is true in Southern Cal, but I can see the real value in the Bay Area. Keep in mind that the new aftermarket systems give you conditioned defrost. So even if you dont need the cooling, the de-humidified defrost is very nice to have when it is raining.

MarkM66
05-29-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't think so, but when you try to sell, all the buyers will think it's a must.

Most of these cars get driven to a show, cruise or the track, which obviously is an outdoor event. :dunno:

compos mentis
05-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Do these newest systems surpass OEM capabilities?

ProdigyCustoms
05-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Absolutly, especially in your 55! the Vintage Air gen IV was originaly designed by VA for Ford motor company and is the unit used it the $200K Ford GT.

compos mentis
05-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Absolutly, especially in your 55! the Vintage Air gen IV was originaly designed by VA for Ford motor company and is the unit used it the $200K Ford GT.

Thanks Frank,

I should have clarified my statement by asking
"does the VA Gen IV equal or surpass new car OEM air conditioning and defrosting systems?"

Since you said it was used in the Ford GT, that answers my question obviously. I'm up in northern NY State so defrosting is as important as air conditioning.

I'll call your store first for a VA system.

Side note: Remember the stink made when Ford couldn't call it the GT-40? I think now most folks would agree 'Ford GT' is a much better name and says it all.

streetk14
05-31-2008, 01:54 PM
I think Frank pretty much summed it up when it comes to A/C in our cars. Is it necessary for someone living in Coastal California? No, but it sure is nice when those heat waves come and you would actually like to drive your car without suffering.

I have a VA sure-fit system in my '67 Camaro, and it does a very good job of cooling off the interior when cruising around. I just got it working properly a couple months ago, and had a chance to put it to the test during that heat wave last month. It was probably close to 90 degrees out and I was nice and cool enjoying my car with the windows up.

I suppose the question for you is this: How often do you use the A/C in a newer car that you drive? Some people are more tolerant of heat than others. I personally use the A/C in my new Bimmer all the time, but I know others who hardly ever use theirs in their newer cars.

Andy

compos mentis
05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Andy,

Good to hear feedback like that. John Parsons said something in maxchevy.com to the effect of 'they are street cars, not race cars...'

gearheadtx
06-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I live in the Houston area and an A/C is a must. I looked for a while for my 67 only because I was looking for one with Factory A/C. The only down side is that it will not be a track car unless I dismantle the A/C.

Mark

6'9"Witha69
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I have the windows and sunroof open daily, even in 90*+ temps. I ahve sat in gridlock traffic for an hour in 100* temps and didn't enjoy it, but I lived. I have a GenI system in my car but the compressor not mounted and lines not connected. THis was back when the car was my DD and I wanted A/C for those summer days when I had to go somewhere and be 'fresh' upon arrival (think a suit). Now that it a weekend cruise/track car, it is all coming out.

yellowrallys
06-28-2008, 07:06 PM
The wife and I are both 49. We like the ability to control the climate in our old cars, especially on summer trips. 25 years ago it didn't matter, but now we like being comfy when we're on the road.

Charley Lillard
06-29-2008, 06:10 AM
In the S.F. bay area you would turn it on maybe twice a year ? Then if you take it to Hot August Nights. Realistically think about how many days of the year you would actually use it and see if it is worth it.

Sparky67
06-29-2008, 08:01 AM
I don't think you need A/C in California, I had been on there on business in the past. I have also lived in Florida and yes it is a must. August is the hottest and humid month of the year. Instead of going with a pro-charger, why don't you get a magnacharger instead. If you need A/C in the future then you can add it on.

I am building an LS3 with an Harrop TVS 2300 supercharger and just got a great new pulley drive kit from Wegner Motorsports. The kit includes all the pulleys, A/C compressor, PS, Altenator, and ATI balancer, and also includes 2 blower pulleys.

Jeff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro

rogue
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I can't imagine driving my car with the windows up...

Charley Lillard
06-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Sparky....Most of Ca gets very hot in the summer, just some areas near the coast or in the mountains stay comfortable. I'm 80 miles from the coast and it regularly hits over 100 here in the summer.

parsonsj
06-30-2008, 07:31 AM
John Parsons said something in maxchevy.com to the effect of 'they are street cars, not race cars...'Cool! I'll tell Ro that we've got readers not related to us. :)

To add my $.02, I'm working on adding A/C to II Much now. I'm trying to see if I can shoe-horn in the Gen IV setup Frank mentioned. If not, I can get a Gen II Compac into the car.

jp

venturabeachpup
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Today it's 103 degrees in Bakersfield, Ca. 108 tomorrow. For us A/C isn't questionable. There's even days in December that I will use my auto a/c. However, got6spd, I do understand your point. I would still build it with an a/c system. Yes, even if I lived where you do. I will be installing one in my 67 Camaro when I get to that stage of the build. I agree with the statement that it is "expected " when purchasing a car. The only exception is if you're keeping the car forever and living where you do all your life. Good luck and enjoy your build! Be:cool: .

Reckn8
07-14-2008, 10:58 AM
I'd give just about anything for it. My car hasn't even a fan motor! The vents don't do a lot of good sitting in traffic. I've thought long and hard at trying to figure out how to adapt a vintage air unit to my car. If I could afford it, I'd have one already.
Tony, the key to your Vair is to keep the compressor small. Sankyo or Sanden had a compressor #308 that was used on the 3 cylinder Chevy Sprints. I used them on VW's back in the day and got rid of the York compressors. I forget the H/P they required but it was very minimual. A hang on V-A unit and maybe a custom condensor and your set! We have a 65 Vair waiting for us to redo, I'll start looking and see what kind of engine bracket can be made.
paul

kurider
03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Im in So cal and I would die without A/C in the summer time haha

brans72
03-03-2009, 05:01 AM
You would want a/c if you lived in NC!!!!

parsonsj
03-03-2009, 05:54 AM
I've finished adding A/C now. The V/A Front Runner and Gen IV kits fit great. I've got heat, and defrost... I just need to get over to Prodigy to get the A/C charged. This summer is gonna be cool!

In all seriousness, I wish I had engineered the A/C when I was originally building the car. It would have been much easier, and probably less expensive. I did know enough to make sure I had room for a condenser... it was the evaporator that was difficult.

jp

rlovell383
03-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm sure a lot of rodders are hoping you get the AC system instead of the blower... I say go for the huffer and roll the bloody windows down! :hmm: JMHO

Randy

darthvegagt
03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Well I know that I have plans for a VA kit for my 69 camaro. I live in Yuma, AZ (sonoran desert, in the southwest corner of AZ on the cali/mexico border) and it is virtually always over 100 degrees here from may to september....its even hot at night sometimes. It will top 120 degrees many days out of the summer and driving is unbearable without A/C and dark window tint now that I'm older and have kids. Until I get air conditioning, I don't see my kids riding in the car during those months and thats no fun considering I bought the car for my family to share and enjoy together.

As for the VA kit, I just finished smoothing the firewall on my camaro and my car is a non-A/C car from the factory. So does the VA kit only have an underdash vent that blows cold air into the interior compartment??? or does it adapt to the heater vents???

Cause there are days that its so hot you need as many cold vents blowing on you as you can get til the inside temp drops dramatically. So one vent blowing towards the floor will suck...thanks in advance.

parsonsj
03-10-2009, 04:19 AM
I've got 4 vents blowing 37 degree air now. Way cool!!

The V/A setup works great.

jp

monza
03-10-2009, 07:42 AM
and was quick and easy HA HA !!!

parsonsj
03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
and was quick and easyOh yeah! I should do a quick write-up of the long and arduous journey to put AC into II Much. I started in August, and finished this week. Only took 7 months... :)

jp