PDA

View Full Version : 69 Trans Am clone

JLM
02-08-2005, 05:37 AM
I've always been kind of against clones of cars simply because you should be proud of what you have in teh first place. With that said I've been looking at paint schemes trying to decide what I want to do with this 69 Firebird. I'm estimating a completion date for paint prep in about a month and a half if I continue to go as I have been.

I'm looking at possibly doing a 69 TA clone with a pro-touring flare. I would use the paint that I've alredy purchased for the car (Dupont Satin White Pearl) as the base color. From there instead of using the blue that is normally used for the stripes on the TA I'd like to go with something like Dupont chromalusion, or PPG Harlequin color favoring the blue color spectrum. of course the car would get the TA hood, fender extractors and rear spoiler. For wheels I'm looking at Wheel Vintiques 17x8 and 17x9.5 Pontiac Rallye II's.

Opinions?

ProdigyCustoms
02-08-2005, 05:50 AM
We are doing a ProTouring 69 Trans Am Convertible for my wife to match her 2002 WS6 Convertible in black with red stripes. I think it will be killer, also always though the reverse, blue with white stripe would be real nice.

JLM
02-08-2005, 06:04 AM
We are doing a ProTouring 69 Trans Am Convertible for my wife to match her 2002 WS6 Convertible in black with red stripes. I think it will be killer, also always though the reverse, blue with white stripe would be real nice.

I would love to paint the car blue. However the car originally came from the factory with that olive green color and green interior. A friend of mine has a 69 Camaro SS that came with the same interior. he painted the car Sonic Blue and his interior looks like a trash bag. Eventually the interior will be completely re-finished but it will be a while. Especially considering that the interior is in damn near perfect condition.

Happyfunballs
02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
I think that'd look good. Just remember that those stripes will be blue, purple, green....etc.

grtpmkn
02-08-2005, 08:48 AM
I like the sound of your gameplan, especially with the WV Rallye II's. As far as the stripes, I think something like the Sonic Blue used on late model Ford Mustangs would look very cool. Look forward to seeing pics someday when you have 'er complete. :bananna2:

JLM
02-08-2005, 10:13 AM
I think that'd look good. Just remember that those stripes will be blue, purple, green....etc.

I am aware of this. I'll be choosing a color that favors the blue spectrum. Last time I was looking Dupont had over 50 varients on the chromalusion line.

Grtpmkn, I am also considering sonic blue or royal saphire pearl for the stripes. I really want the chromalusion, but price may dictate otherwise. Mystichrome would also be cool as well.

I think this is going to be the best route for the car. I have a LOT of body work done on this car as it had quite a few problem areas. I just got done ordering a reproduction drivers side fender from Ames performance today as that particular fender was beyond repair. The rear of the car has also had quite a bit of work done to it. With that being the case, dark colors tend to bring out imperfections, and thus the pearl white will help to hide some of those minor imperfections that I will still likely have because of all the body work. If I had the time and money I would really probably need to do a frame-off on this car, but that's just not feesable at this time.

now...if I can just find a set of RA V heads and intake :D

70ptta
06-22-2005, 03:00 PM
any pics

Hammered
06-22-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm thrilled to see yet another person working on a PT Firebird. I like your concept a lot. The only things I would reconsider are the wheels and the air extractors, but mostly the air extractors. I think the originals look tacked on, but you could do a take-off of the originals that would have a more integrated appearance. Graft them into the fender, for example.

I thought about making my 67 a white on blue TA, but I don't want to scrap my hood for the TA hood and the stripes just don't work with the 400 hood IMO.

Here is a current post on another board about repoping the RA V heads: RA V Heads (http://forums.performanceyears.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/1066062811/m/734106189)

Those and the new Al block would be killer.

John

ILLEGAL69
12-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I am also doing a pro-touring firebird. Slowly I might add. I am strongly considering a clone T/A paint scheme. I wanted to do it with a Chip Foose influence, subtle changes, cleaner lines, tighter bumper.

A question I have on the original paint codes. Does anyone know of them?

Also Prodigy cutoms.....any info on the front nose piece for the 69 Firebird, price? When? It looks great.

zman1969
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
well i like the green cars,I had a fathom green 69Z and a olive green 69 400 f/b and i loved them. if i had the green interior I would paint it Fathom (very dark)green at night it looks black and it is a metallic. my current car I'm building is a T/A clone so I am also doing it white - but it is a kinda boring color , I guess i like Green cause its not red or blue or another common color id say Keep it Green! :spank2:

ProdigyCustoms
12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Also Prodigy cutoms.....any info on the front nose piece for the 69 Firebird, price? When? It looks great.

After the first of the year they will be available. Have not done a cost study