PDA

View Full Version : TKO 600 or Jerico

Steve25
02-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I am building a pro touring 67 camaro. The camaro will have a 10.2 deck big block and will be 572 cu. inches (4.5 inch stroke and 4.5 inch bore) so it will produce a lot of torque. My question is which transmission is more durable? The road race Jerico or the TKO 600. I don't want to ruin a new transmission. The transmission will have to endure normal street use, occasional road racing tracks, and also quarter mile blasts every so often. Thanks in advance for any advise.

69boo307
02-08-2005, 05:16 AM
well of course the Jerico is going to be stronger if you have the cubic dollars to buy it, but it's not really a street piece.

Steve25
02-08-2005, 10:06 AM
I always thought the Jerico would be stronger also. I was just confused after reading in a popular hot rodding magazine about Redline Merlin chevelle buildup. In the magazine they said that the Merlin engine produced too much torque so the original plans for a Jerico transmission had to be lost and replaced with the TKO 600.

Salt Racer
02-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Jerico. That is if you don't mind the noise of spur gears and harsh shifting of dog rings. They don't make synchro'ed helical-gear box as far as I know.

I bet these were the real reasons why they used TKO. Don't believe everything you read. I helped one of members here write an article for PHR. There'll be one incorrect info (major one), b/c the editor refused to correct it due to deadline.

That said, one of the biggest advantages of real road race transmissions is side-mount counter shaft/gear assembly. You really can't take advantage of this unless you use dry sump oiling on the motor with short stroke crank. This also means there'll be less space for passenger leg room.

Tig Man
02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
There is no way a modified sreet tranny is going to match the Jerico, the jerico can be broken. Been there done that. Any can be broke!!! After seeing a friend buy one of the 600's. I wouldn't even consider it. The case is soooo WIMPY looking! I'll bet it's a rubber band under power. Words written on paper can sell a lot of things I guess.

Mark

Salt Racer
02-10-2005, 07:30 AM
I've seen a couple of broken Jerico 4-sp. One of them was at Bonneville in '98. It was from Kugel Komponents' 5000-lb Firebird pushing near 300mph with a 1400hp TT 368ci small block. Those gear boxes take some serious beating!

F70t/a
02-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Do they make any 5 or 6 speed jericos? Are they any good for crusing or just straight road racing?

PAI Racing
02-11-2005, 02:07 PM
They do make a 5 speed Jerico. It is nice. Try HRPworld.com. If you really want trick, try a Hewland, Saenz or Weismann. You are virtually guaranteed not to see another one on the street (unless you are on Second Ave. in Long Beach on Media Day...)

Salt Racer
02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
...try a Hewland, Saenz or Weismann. You are virtually guaranteed not to see another one on the street (unless you are on Second Ave. in Long Beach on Media Day...)

No kidding. Those things cost more than most of my cars I own combined!

Hurst – Scott
02-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Steve 25:

Installation for the TKO 600 is pretty clean for the 1st gen Camaro, no cutting of the tunnel. It takes about a 1" or 2" trim around the 4 o'clock postion of the stock tranny hole in the floor.

Tremec rates the TKO 600 up to 600 ft/lb. EXAMPLE: with 27" height tires and 3.73 rear gears going 70 MPH you will be running at 2080 RPM's with the TKO 600 (.64).

If you have a console, the TKO's will pop up in the stock console position in the 16.76 shifter position (usinging the standard TKO shifter).

More detail on this site if you need it:

www.ClassicChevy5Speed.com (http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/)

Scott

Steve25
02-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info Scott. The TKO 600 would be a very nice transmission. I am concerned about whether it will handle a 597 cu. inch big block though. Maybe I should rethink the engine, but I have driven in a 68 camaro with a small block and a big block on a couple of tracks. At the heartland park race track I ran a consistant 6 seconds faster with the big block in the same car. I didn't notice much of a difference in handling between the big block and the small block, but the 750 horsepower big block came out of the tight turns way better than the 600 horsepower small block. This scenario could change though on tracks with slim weavy turns. Maybe the chasis was just set up better for the big block or maybe I just haven't experimented on enough tracks, but my driving characteristics fair better with the extra torque. I wish I could make a naturally asperated small block make 700+ horsepower. I have driven a procharged all aluminum small block also, but I can't get a good feel for the throttle response. Too little throttle and I come around too slow, too much and I break the tires loose. I can get it just perfect sometimes, but not consistantly and I think consistancy is the name of the game. It also might of changed things if I could have messed with boost ratios, but only got a few chances in that car.

Steve

Hurst – Scott
02-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Steve:

Sounds like you are doing your home work and if you are going with the big block and 750 HP then yes the TKO 600 might not me the best bet. Tremec rates it up to 600 ft/lb. Picking up 6 seconds going with big block is tought to pass up.

Good luck let me know if you have amymore Tremec questions

Scott

KUL FIR CHICK N
02-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Steve,

I'd recommend you take a ride in a car with a Jerrico in it and think hard about how you will be spending your time in the car. It will be right at home on the track or the drag strip, and will be one of the strongest you can get, but if you plan to "cruise" very much, especially long distances, it will be very annoying. The gear whine really isnt all that bad if the car is already rowdy (750HP NA certainly is). What will drive you nuts is the back lash in the dogs (I'd estimate around 15 degrees). The back lash makes for a very jerky ride.

Don't get me wrong, I bought one for my project, but only because I absolutely had to due to >800ft-lb and space constraints.

Jerico also told me they have a very short gear life on the street reguardless of power level. If you get one, make sure you get a road race set-up with drag gears (softer).