PDA

View Full Version : Competition Engineering rear frame rails

ILLEGAL69
02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
I have a 69 firebird that needs a new rear frame. I dont want to tub it. Has anyone used a set of CE frame rails? Does any one have any pictures of this set up? I basically whant to know if they will be in the same place as the originals?

Thanks

MrQuick
02-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't have any pictures but I used them on a 67 Camaro and a 67 Nova. The fit is close but does not match the stock frame rail exactly.Its close enough to weld on "L" shaped brackets to secure it to the body. They arent as think as I would want but are sturdy for the cost. 0.083 wall If you look close to the front section,you will see an angle cut to a straight flat. its welded but most offen crooked. I just cut em off ,reweld them and add a gusset.

ILLEGAL69
02-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info. So the leafs stay in the factory position. Would it be better to fab my own up?

MrQuick
02-08-2005, 07:30 PM
if you going for original try classic industries, or Ebay , they have reproduction ones availible.

MuscleRodz
02-08-2005, 08:26 PM
I have them in my 68 Camaro I am building. They do not fit the trunk as they claim, and they have to go in straight. I cut them up to follow the profile of the trunk floor. You can click on my sig at the bottom and see a few pics. 21st Century Street Machines has a rear clip kit you might check out that includes the rear rails. http://www.21stcenturystreetmachines.com/

Mike