PDA

View Full Version : Cheap CAD Software Recommendation

JMarsa
02-07-2005, 12:58 PM
About 10 years ago I was a CAD operator for two years. So I've used several commercial products of the day. I'm looking to spend as little money as possible (I can use my educational discount) on a lite CAD package. 3D is not important. I'm just looking to design some parts and build assembly drawings (so layering is important). I've looked at TurboCad briefly. Any recommendations?

--JMarsa

MoeBawlz
02-07-2005, 01:31 PM
The only product I have ever really used is AutoCAD 2002, 2004, and 2005

Of which I may be able to get you a copy of the student version if not the full version. Id have to check into that.

Matt@RFR
02-07-2005, 05:24 PM
If simple is what you're after, look into DeltaCad. It's around $50, has layers, and is easy to learn. If you'll be sending files of your drawings to a machinist, you're going to have problems. DeltaCad is only accurate down to four decimal places, and when opened in a professional CAD/CAM program, most of the lines won't even be touching or tangent like you drew it.

I've moved on to SolidWorks and will never look back!! Too expensive for what you're talking about though. :(

Hopefully Moe can get you set up with AutoCad. It's a steep learning curve if you've never used it, but I believe there's books online that you can buy to help you through it if you can't find anyone to help out.

JMarsa
02-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Last time I used it it was in version 2 or 3! And I made copies of it on many 5-1/4" or (were they 5-1/2" ?) floppy disks!

Thanks for the replies...

--JMarsa

Derek69SS
02-07-2005, 06:28 PM
I use AutoCAD for 2D and Solidworks for 3D design.

A couple years ago, a buddy downloaded both from kazaa.com, but if you plan on using this for a business, You might want to get a legal version... for personal use, you can probably get away with a copy from someone.

Piet
02-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I use Visio for 2D... currently nothing for 3D

MoeBawlz
02-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Well AutoCad has come a LONG LONG ways since version 2 and 3... 05' has a lot of really cool features. Ill see what i can do for getting you a copy of either 04 or 05, both of which are very similar to eachother and even 02 is quite similar.

Last time I used it it was in version 2 or 3! And I made copies of it on many 5-1/4" or (were they 5-1/2" ?) floppy disks!

Thanks for the replies...

--JMarsa

harshman
02-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Well AutoCad has come a LONG LONG ways since version 2 and 3... 05' has a lot of really cool features. Ill see what i can do for getting you a copy of either 04 or 05, both of which are very similar to eachother and even 02 is quite similar.
hey if you happen to make any extras, keep me in mind. i'm in the same boat. :bananna2:

MoeBawlz
02-08-2005, 11:10 AM
if i can get a copy ill make a few of them....

sanddan
02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
I have the student version of Pro-E 2001, (the last version before Wildfire), If anyone is interested. This version cannot be used for business but ok for home use. Let me know.
Dan

Little Bob
02-08-2005, 11:35 AM
if i can get a copy ill make a few of them....

I've been using using AutoCAD for about 12 years now. AutoCad is a great tool to creat anything you you want. Just be careful of the coping thing. Pirating software holds huge fines and the latest versions of the program have subscriptions tied to them. Autodesk also has the ability to check registration of the product being used at any time. The only way to get aroung this is not to use what they call the TODAY window. You must shut this option off before doing anything in the program.

Besides, pirating siftware just jacks the price up for everyone else. If it's a cheap cad program you are looking for. Check into CADKEY. It all depends on the price range.

sunkistcamaro
02-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Im using Unigraphics now and used AutoCAD for 9 years and only used CadKey for a few months. I remember CadKey being very easy to use.

MoeBawlz
02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
The autocad ill be getting is actually a freebie that was given to some fellow students by the makers of the software. I would have gotten a copy before had they had enough copies on hand to give to all of us. Im just getting a copy of that. Its 2004LT, which is just regular 2004 minus 3D... which is ok cus the 3D on AutoCAD sucks. It may also not incorporate Design Center but im not sure, ill have to check that when i get my hands on it.

JMarsa
02-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'll check back later.

--JMarsa

Little Bob
02-08-2005, 07:17 PM
The autocad ill be getting is actually a freebie that was given to some fellow students by the makers of the software. I would have gotten a copy before had they had enough copies on hand to give to all of us. Im just getting a copy of that. Its 2004LT, which is just regular 2004 minus 3D... which is ok cus the 3D on AutoCAD sucks. It may also not incorporate Design Center but im not sure, ill have to check that when i get my hands on it.

MoeBawlz
That sounds cool. I wish I had that opritunity. I like AutoCad 3D, it's just a little harder than some of the other programs. But the drawing files can be imported for rendering into 3D Max.

JMarsa
If 3D is not important, I would go with AutoCad LT.. If you want to have any part made at a shop. Most of them will have the ability to open a dwg. file. Also if you need something done. Just send me a sketch or an idea and I can put something together for you. Let me know if I can help.

By the way, that offer goes out to anyone of the PT members.

MoeBawlz
02-08-2005, 08:04 PM
I use 3D Max a lot too now... just started getting into it.

the reason i dont like 3D in autoCAD is just because its almost impossible to alter anything if you have to make changes.. Where as in UG and Pro-E all you do is go to the feature, go to the properties and make your adjustment... a lot of times in 3D autoCAD you have to redo stuff or mess with it a LOT more than its really worth. UG and Pro-E are built for 3D and id much rather use one of them than autoCAD for that. You can also import autocad files into UG and use that geometry... im not sure if you can do the same for Pro-E but i dont see why not.

3D Max is fun to use, but again for 3D modeling id rather use UG or Pro-E... I jsut got into useing MAX a few months ago and it is fun to play with, and it is a good rendering software you cant get good hard data off of the models like you can with other 3D programs. I like the simple fact that in Pro-E and UG you can make a model and detailed prints all in one program rather than having to jump back and forth.

As far as being lucky enough to get this software... yah it is pretty cool, its a good thing im still a student. I love doing this stuff and am just getting into free form modeling heavily now. If anyone has any questions on how to model anything or wants me to do a model in UG or Pro-E. I would also be more than happy to help out.

David Pozzi
02-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Here is a site I just found with free drafting software: http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm
any of those look good?

JMarsa
02-09-2005, 09:31 AM
David,

Thanks for the link. You actually dug up a missing link for me (http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm#2D3DCADSystems). I had the software installed at one time and was looking for it again which promted this posting originally. I'll check it out tonite (again). IntelliCAD looks promising as well.

--JMarsa

96Z28SS
02-09-2005, 09:41 AM
I have been using Unigraphics now for 12 years. For complex shapes in 3D UG is the only way to go.
Last time I checked its $9000 for a seat and $2000 a year for a maintenance fee. or you could lease it for $760 a month.

MoeBawlz
02-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Well folks, if anyone wants, i just got AutoCAD 2004 LT... i can send you a copy if youd like.

Id like to get a full version of UG but my student version of Pro -E will haev to suffice til i can get UG, which hopefully i will have shortly.

96Z28SS
02-10-2005, 06:52 AM
If anyone gets a working version of UG please let me know I'd like to use it at home also.

MoeBawlz
02-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Im hunting down a copy as we speak...

Pzary3233
03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Anybody have solidworks by chance? I've got AutoDesk 2005 and TRYING to lern how to use it.... I've heard that SolidWorks is another good program to use.

Thanks Guys!
Paul Z.

MoeBawlz
03-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Ive never used Solid Works, but i hear its a decent program for modeling. Its along the same lines of Inventor i believe. I may be able to get a hold of it.

No dice on the UG student version. I have Pro_E student version though

wendell
03-07-2005, 11:01 AM
solidworks'03 for PTrends. PM