PDA

View Full Version : Fan run keeps running

italiano362
05-11-2008, 05:38 AM
I have a new northern aluminum radiator with Dual Spal fans and the adjustable controller. Have run a couple of hundred miles and now when I shut the car off the one fan keeps running and I have to disconnect the battery . I had a hose leak and sprayed off the engine compartment a week ago and am hoping I didnt wreck anything. Ideas on trouble shooting?
I dont know much about wiring in general so I unplugged the relay with the fan running( engine and key off )and no change. Still had to disconnect the battery. The fans come on at the right temp but the one keeps running after shutting the engine off. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/confused-1.gif
Doing some research on the controller and it looks as if Spal is coming out with a new one in June. Is there any way to check if it is the controller for sure that is junk? This thing is only a couple of hundred miles old. It just seems odd that only one fan stays on forever. If I do have to buy a new one i hope the dimensions and mounting are the same and it looks as of right now they are out of stock. It is pretty good that they can sell a piece of crap and then come out with an updated one and you have to shell out more money. Oh well gas is $4.00 here so it would not see the road a bunch anyway. ( sarcastic)https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/sad-1.gif

Tom 72RS/SS
05-11-2008, 06:10 PM
There is always a slight spike in temp when you turn off your car so I just wonder if one of the fans is supposed to stay on after you shut it down to allow the radiator to cool down to a certain temp before it completly stops. Don't some of the newer cars do the same, not sure?

italiano362
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I believe you are correct. Except mine runs continously and wont shut off. I can go out to the car when it is cold and connect the battery and the one fan will run.

Vegas69
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Well it's got to be hooked up to hot without a switch or the switch is not doing it's job.

Tom 72RS/SS
05-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Mine did it once only to find out that the wires going to the sending unit in the head had move up against the header and grounded it out and kept running. Was more careful how I ran the wires after that.

DRJDVM's '69
05-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Well if its on when you dont have the key on, then the power is feeding off a non-keyed 12 v source, which it shouldnt be in most cars (in modern cars the computer controls it so it may stay on even after you turn the car off and walk away)

I'm no electrician but I'm pretty sure the temp switch is based on a ground...thats the say when it reaches temp, the switch completes the circiut to ground and the fan kicks on...... so the fan must also be grounded too, so check the wires and see if you have a grounded wire.

italiano362
05-12-2008, 04:34 PM
I believe it is set up to run even after the key is shut off. However I am wondering if the control box is stuck open and the low fan is got power constantly. All of this is Greek to me but I am leaning to the controller being bad as I checked the wires and everything seems to be un harmed etc. I unplugged the relay and that fan keeps running anyway which means the controller is the relay for the fan in question. I assume this is another pointer to a bad box. More thoughts welcome.

guccieng
06-13-2008, 12:45 AM
if it's a spal controller, it's crap. the internal circuit is stuck when it goes bad (not if it goes bad, but when). it will get it's power from the alt that is backfeeding the battery and continue to run. if it doesn't stop running with the key off, it's bad. i put mine in the landfill.

italiano362
06-13-2008, 05:17 AM
We found the fan in question was wired incorrectly. Everything works great now and it is wired to noy run with the key off. Hopefully the Spal controller doesnt crap out anytime soon. Thanks for all the replies.