PDA

View Full Version : What Mufflers to get?

Steve1968LS2
08-20-2004, 07:19 AM
For my 69???

Im running a modified LS1 and I want something that flows good and sounds nice (the deep musclecar sound)..

Suggestions on what mufflers to get?

Anything but Flowmasters will be considered :) (since they dont flow all that great)..

help..

Ralph LoGrasso
08-20-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm probably going to go with the 12" Borla XR1s. Either that or no mufflers at all :).

nkopper
08-20-2004, 01:29 PM
I finally heard what Stainless Works turbo mufflers sound like at the Goodguy's in Columbus. They had a pair or turbo mufflers with the "s" core on a new GTO that sounded fantastic. They are the same style that Mark Stielow put on the Mule. I'm gonna buy me a set for my car when it comes time. They were relatively quiet at idle and cruise speed, but really came to life when the throttle was cracked. Some of the best sounding mufflers I've ever heard.

Nathan

yody
08-20-2004, 05:54 PM
dynamax ultraflows hands down, straight through design, no restriction, very quiet, loud when on the gas, you can also get them in stainless i believe go to team camaro or chevelle, and do a search on them

protour_chevelle
08-20-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm kind of in the same situation. I want something that is kind of quiet while cruising around then really loud when I get on it.

Figured I'd post here rather than another post on the same subject.

-Matt

dennis68
08-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Quiet is for soccer moms, if you want quiet spend some $$$ on interior sound deadening. I want at least 100Db at 10 feet away. I know 2 chamber Flows are way over played, but damn they sound good. Flowmaster gets my vote.

BTW, my purple hornies sound like crap, don't go that route (they are temporary to keep the exhaust out of the way of the rear suspension design).

yody
08-20-2004, 11:55 PM
sorry super loud exhaust might be nice for a car you take out once a month for half the day, but if you drive your car every weekend the loud exhaust is annoying, attracts way too much attention even when driving normal and is a little adolescent. and i will never buy a set of flowmasters again for the rest of my life!! i want something that is loud when i am intentionally stepping on the gas, but nice and quiet while cruising.

zbugger
08-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Cody, Dennis drives that thing every day. When mine is back on the road, so will I. I have the 2 chamber flows and I love them. I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Steve, I don't remember where, but there is a site that has some exhaust notes on it. If I find it I'll put up the link.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-21-2004, 12:47 AM
www.ls1sounds.com

Steve may know about that since he mods on ls1tech though.

dennis68
08-21-2004, 07:57 AM
sorry super loud exhaust might be nice for a car you take out once a month for half the day, but if you drive your car every weekend the loud exhaust is annoying, attracts way too much attention even when driving normal and is a little adolescent. and i will never buy a set of flowmasters again for the rest of my life!! I want something that is loud when i am intentionally stepping on the gas, but nice and quiet while cruising.

Drive it every weekend-ha I drive it everyday. If it's too loud, you're too old. I love the attention, bring it on. Adolescent-maybe a little. Perhaps that why my wife tells people she has 4 kids, never quite understood the whole 33 going on 3 comment either. Never grow old and never die. Flowmasters ROCK :cool:

KrisHorton
08-21-2004, 07:25 PM
I vote Borla. Flowmasters have been diminishing in quality lately. Borla mufflers have a nice tone at idle and really rap when you get on it. It's a nice solid sound. I get a lot of compliments on the sound of my El Camino and it's only a smogged 350 with a cat-back Borla system. I'm going Borla on our Chevelle too.

As far as loud goes, I say go for what will make you happy. Unless you have crabby neighbors or the police crack down on noise violations, you shouldn't have any issues. The only sound I don't like is when a street car sounds sloppy. I like a clean tone, noticable at idle and nothing short of wicked when going through the gears.

Kris

BRIAN
08-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Flowmaster 50's not the SUV version. They have nice musclecar rumble and are what I feel not too loud. Don't forget muffler placement in your system and where you exit your tips also play a big part in sound. Crossover pipe gets rid of a little rap on stock cams. I have above 50's on basically stock LT1 F.I. with side exit with simple turn downs. everybody swears there is something under the hood when I hit the pedal. No rap or cheasy tone they get deeper as you get on them. They also come in stainless. It's a muffler don't get crazy unless it is open wheel car or something you are going to throw mirrors under at a show.

Chevyman73
08-23-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm leaning towards the new FlowMaster Super 40's, but have considered the Spintechs too. I just haven't heard the Spintech mufflers on anything but a 5.0 Mustang so I am unsure about them. Anybody got Spintech experience?

ironroad9c1
08-24-2004, 04:59 AM
flows are the worst flowing muffler out there ,avoid them at all cost.

Steve1968LS2
08-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Yep.. no flowmasters for me... Im leaning tword the stainless works turbo muffler but im concerned about the sound.. LS1tech is great for opinions but mufflers sound a LOT different when ran without cats and most guys are running them there..

LS1 with no cats = what muffler sounds best (and still flows good)..

Decisions :)

Oh, and thanks for all the feedback..

dennis68
08-24-2004, 09:11 AM
flows are the worst flowing muffler out there ,avoid them at all cost.

I don't suppose you have any tech to back up that Flowmasters flow the worst of all other mufflers do you (a friend owns a muffler shop and says so does not count)? Just curious. I remeber Car Craft ran a cfm flow rating test several years ago and I thought the 2 1/2" Dynomax turbo was the best flowing of the bunch. I do not remember Flowmaster being last.

BRIAN
08-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Everybody has their own opinion but I also find it hard to believe that Flowmasters are that poor of a flowing muffler especially compared to some of the glasspack filled stainless deals. The 40's have a 5" case as opposed to I think 3 3/4" for the 50's which helps tuck them up in your floor. The 40's are the orig and are a bit loud at all times. I would have to say reading a few of the tests by major nags that they were all within a few hp. Are you really that hard up for 5hp? Where are you getting your data from??
Keep in mind that a lot of the stainless pre-polished muflers are useless unless you are going to clamp them on which I wouldn't advise. If you weld you will destroy that polishing you paid for. You will also have to do your exhaust in stainless tubing. I would rather weld up mild steel set up and then have it coated. Last longer and doesn't discolor as easy.

PeteRR
08-24-2004, 01:45 PM
My rap on Flowmasters is, they drone unbearably. The first chance I had, I cut them off my BB Dodge P/U.

I went with side-exit Spintechs on the Road Runner. They rumble at idle and howl at WOT.

brads69
08-24-2004, 04:35 PM
sorry guys i love the flowmaster sound as much as anybody but classical pontiac put out a test on cd. they ran a bunch of mufflers on the same stock 455 pontiac, the flowmasters only flowed 59% the worst of the test, the dynomax ultraflow welded flowed 101%!!! acutally outflowing a straight pipe. the name of the cd is silent power and comes with a printout of the mufflers, if you can still find it, its worth buying.

ironroad9c1
08-24-2004, 04:54 PM
http://www.svtoa.org/articles_006.htm
there is one ....
and here is some real world testing ....
http://www.jr333.com/pontiac/exhaust.htm

and i have had them myself and swapped em out with some dynomax ultra flow welded mufflers and i had to relearn how to drive the truck ,it didn't feel all corked up ,you think about how much friction all the little baffles inside a flowmaster cause in resistance to the airflow and look at some flowmaster ads themselves ,they never say more horsepower ,its always refering to the sound ,mind you they do have a nice sound ,but all show and no go is a bad thing .if your happy with flows ,good on ya ,but for my money i'll use anything but.

ironroad9c1
08-24-2004, 05:15 PM
I don't suppose you have any tech to back up that Flowmasters flow the worst of all other mufflers do you (a friend owns a muffler shop and says so does not count)?[
yea i wish i knew someone that owned a muffler shop..lol

dennis68
08-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks, that is perfect. I was just sitting down to explain how the cfm ratings of a particular muffler is only a part of the story. The exhaust layout for each engine and chassis is different. If you note in the real world test you so graciously provided, the Flowmaster muffler ranked the worst (of the mufflers tested) in cfm ratings and then placed 3rd in the 1/4 MPH test. Although it only ranked 5th in the time study it was approximately .05 seconds behind the 1st place muffler. I think in Top Fuel/Funny Car and maybe Pro-Sportsman races are won by that narrow a margin but usually not. So it seems personal taste in tone has much more to do with the decision than cfm rankings. Incidentally, the Flowmaster only ranked last in cfm rankings of the mufflers tested, not against all aftermarket mufflers. I'll give up .05 in the 1/4 for the bark, I'll get you that .05 times 10 on the R/T anyways.:)

Hey while cruising ebay I found some cool 1-chamber Flowmaster copy cats for like 25.00/each. I think I found my next mufflers.:icon996:

zbugger
08-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Another thing to note is how the cam timing can affect your choice of mufflers. Some may flow better than others, but reduce the scavenging ability of the engine due to the cam timing. Backpressure is yet another important tuning tool.

JL8Jeff
08-25-2004, 05:25 AM
That muffler test is a little out dated by now though. There are a lot of new mufflers out in the market. I'm running the Hooker Aerochamber mufflers on my 68 Camaro with the 94 LT1 and it's very quiet at cruising speed and even slight acceleration. Nice rumble at idle, but give it more than 1/2 throttle and it gets loud. I think they are straight through mufflers, but I can't remember for sure. I still think the good old Dynomax Super Turbo is probably the best combination of cost/sound/flow. I listened to a 68 Camaro with a strong 454, dual 3" exhaust with Super Turbos run a low 11 at the track and barely made any noise at all.

yody
08-25-2004, 08:05 AM
your mufflers really won't do much for scavenging, all they will do is muffle the noise, it has to do with how restrictive they are, most of the scavenging is done in the collector where all the tubes meet up. the straight thru type have been proven to be the best as in Dynomax ultraflo, Borla, and hooker aerochamber

dennis68
08-25-2004, 03:42 PM
OK, since we seem to have such a large number of exhaust experts around here I’ll run this past y’all. I was talking with a co-worker today and we discussing the effects of exhaust tubing length before the muffler, after the muffler and the tailpipe length. His opinion was that the closer to the collector the muffler was placed the deeper the tone regardless of muffler brand and the farther from the collector, the louder the exhaust would be. Interior sound level aside from all this because that can be controlled with a variety of products, is there a hard/fast rule on muffler placement vs. exhaust tone/sound level outside the vehicle, say at 20 feet? I have always run the head pipes from the collectors to just past the front seats and dumped at the mufflers. Does moving the mufflers further up the pipe have an affect on sound level? I have already looked at packaging and although it would be more difficult to move the muffler closer to the engine it would make for an interesting experiment. Also, has anybody added “tips” to an existing system, like boom tubes maybe? How much of an affect does that have on exhaust volume?

:offtopic: I meant to put this in it's own post, sorry.

yody
08-25-2004, 10:44 PM
umm kinda sounds like a wild guess idea, i mean where did he come up wiht this? but it does make common sense, the closer the muffler to the engine the less time the exhaust has to travel and slow/quiet down, kinda like if you ran open headers it would be louder than if you ran a full exhaust system with no muffler. also tips can change the sound, a big long tip makes it a little louder and more hollow

JL8Jeff
08-26-2004, 07:45 AM
I don't know that locating the mufflers farther away will make it louder. Look at all the Corvettes that have the mufflers all the way in the back with a short tailpipe, they are not loud at all. As for tailpipes, I would think if you want a ride that isn't obnoxious while cruising then get tailpipes that exit straight out the back vs angled down towards the ground. You can hear the sound more from inside the car if the tailpipes are angled down and the sound bounces off the ground. As a follow up to my comments on my exhaust, I stopped by my cousin's house last night and he was listening to the car idle and how quiet it was. Then I revved it up and his eyes popped open. He couldn't believe how loud and aggressive the exhaust was when you got into it yet it was very quiet at idle and cruising. I'm very happy with my final exhaust setup.

CAMAROBOY69
08-26-2004, 09:39 AM
To answer one of dennis68 questions about the tone depending on the distance. . When I first bought my flows I welded them right behind the header. Sounded like total crap! Very loud and sounded more like an open header. I moved them right in front of the rear axle and placed I believe was 5' of pipe from the header to the muffler and I am very pleased with the sound.
I have heard Dynomax in person and they sound excellent. My friend ran them on his 10second mustang. Car sounded sooooo tough!!

dennis68
08-26-2004, 12:00 PM
I have heard Dynomax in person and they sound excellent. My friend ran them on his 10second mustang. Car sounded sooooo tough!!

Which Dynomax muffs?

yody
08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
dynomax ultraflos i am sure

CAMAROBOY69
08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
I dont know exactly what they were but if I remember correctly they were like a straight thru design similar to a cherry bomb but bigger in DIA.

ironroad9c1
08-26-2004, 06:26 PM
you talking about the dynomax bullets?

chicane67
08-26-2004, 08:19 PM
And to think Dennis.......we havent even gotten into the frequency tuning of a muffler or an exhaust system yet.

For those of you that think that 'mass flow' thru a muffler on a flow bench is what tell's the story, you are truly mistaken. Really, mistaken.

Mufflers have more to do with scavenging than what meets the eye. Just think about it towards the thought of seperate volume and pressure vessels. One effects the other. But what really needs to be looked at is, the specific swept volume of the cylinder, the volume of the primary tube, the collector volume and phasing of the exhaust gas pulse, the intermediate tubing (collector to muffler), the muffler itself and any tubing beyond the muffler. Now lets bring in convergent and divergent ducting theory. I think we can now see that there is more to the mufflers scavenging than once was thought.

Oh yea, now lets combine eight cylinders and add in the pulse phase, pulse amplitude and negative pulse scavenging effects.

Oops. I almost forgot to mention what temperature change can and does do to all of this as well.

The mean flow is thru the center of the exhaust tubing. It could be 2 inches OD or 21 inches OD......when you turn a fluid (air is a fluid medium) more than 12* degrees or so, there will be a measurable (physically) reduction in flow. Same thing goes for inside a muffler. But what isnt thought of much is how pressure, frequency and temperature can alter flow. I say lets stop thinking in one dimentional terms and include everything that is relevent.

As for the comment on/about the Corvette systems, remember, it also has a "resonator" in the exhaust system to quiet it down. If you take it out, it will be rather loud.

Lets see where this goes.......

dennis68
08-26-2004, 09:05 PM
OK, lets go one more step. Lets evaluate the affects of reducing exhaust tubing diameter as it moves toward the rear to maintain exhaust flow velocity throughout the system. Now, how does that HUGE space (muffler) play into that, obviously the exhaust becomes very stagnant at this point? Does decreasing exhaust diameter leaving the muffler help to maintain that flow as it exits?

harshman
08-27-2004, 10:20 AM
:hmm: i think that just made my nose bleed.

dennis68
08-27-2004, 10:58 AM
LOL-Quit thinking so hard.

yody
08-27-2004, 11:10 AM
okay chicane, you just spout out a lot of techinical terms and theory stuff but none if it directly relates to mufflers/flow. can you specify a little more directly and to the point? or were you just throwing out some ideas to confuse people :) i like to design my exhaust systems for the most "flow" possible, i basically want to be able to bolt up the exhaust and have it flow as well as open headers with extensions. Therefore i usually try to design the exhaust with a well made collector as this is where most of the scavenging is done. I personally have never seen a high powered car run faster with a full exhaust system than with headers with some straight extensions after them. I have seen cars run identical with the exhaust system bolted up, meaning that it is doing an excellent job. So if i can accomplish that all the scientific crap doesnt mean much after the X pipe to me, i think you want to worry about the scavegning in the collector ie; 4-2-1 or merge collectors, and then just make the rest of the exhaust as free flowing as possible

dennis68
08-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Yodi, on a full blown drag car you are correct, exhaust will do nothing but slow it down, this is of course on a monster block flowing 300cfm at the ports anyways partly due to the 3/4" of valve lift. On a street car however that has more reasonably sized ports for low end torque/high rpm HP trade off exhaust systems can be used to tune and I have seen a street car pick up 1/4 mile time by adding exhaust to an open header situation. It happened to be an 1985 vette with 383 stroker and user tuned (extensivly) DFI system. This car had the best of everything and would be a perfect example of pro-touring at its finest but for Alex's death :sad4: . I don't recall the name of the exhaust(really trick electronic mufflers that responded to TPS change) he was running but it improved 1/4 time by .2 and a couple MPH by puting it on after a few runs open header.

JL8Jeff
08-28-2004, 06:12 AM
It's a shame nobody does any real exhaust tests. All the tests I've read were done by some exhaust manufacturer or other entity with a specific goal to accomplish. They run like 20 tests and then show you the results of the 5-8 tests where their product performs the best. But an exhaust system is almost meaningless compared to properly built headers for the specific engine. If you read any of the testing done by Hedders By Ed you will see how big of a difference the collector size and length will make on hp and tq and that's not even with an exhaust system hooked up.

yody
08-28-2004, 09:15 PM
exactly, thats what i have been saying all along...or at least trying to say!

chicane67
08-29-2004, 01:27 PM
okay chicane, you just spout out a lot of techinical terms and theory stuff but none if it directly relates to mufflers/flow.

:slap: Yes it does.......

Why dont we start off with some basic exhaust theory and why gross flow isnt a factor in a properly designed, chamber type muffler, specifically the Flowmaster and what effects it.

What actually is the major characteristic of the exhaust system and what are we trying to do with "it" in the first place?

Flow means to "move or run smoothly with unbroken continuity, as in the manner characteristic of a fluid." In our case, the exhaust mixture is the fluid medium. But what isnt stated there is that the exhaust mixture is not a smooth, continuous flow. It is broken into pulses.....which means it is a component of, and has frequency.
Frequency which is a property or condition of occurring at frequent intervals, and in mathematics and physics is defined as "the number of times a specified periodic phenomenon occurs within a specified interval." There are two specific frequencies involved with this example, and they are 'audible' and 'pressure' frequencies (and/or refered to as waves). The other major factor to all of this, is the individual 'amplitudes' of these frequencies. For simplicity, we will generally refer to this as the exhaust 'signal', but will also remember that each of these 'signals' have components of frequency and amplitude.

The exhaust signal is made up of a varying pulses that change in frequency and amplitude as a function of RPM. How the wave is controlled to effectivley manipulate the pressure and velocity, via convergent and divergent vessels, is where a chambered muffler's secret lies.

Now lets get to the meat. The muffler in an exhaust system is there to control amplitude (to muffle), all the while why trying not to disrupt mass flow, in predominant theory. It also can (and does) have an effect in the modification of the signal frequency from an audible stand point. So, lets get a few things out in the open......like muffler types and how their specific designs work. There are two basic types, media filled and chambered. The media filled are pretty strait forward. They use a material packing to absorb (dampen actually) the amplitude of the pressure wave. The chambered type however, are a little more complicated. Their dampening comes from bouncing waves into each other and distrupting the pressure wave into 'phase cancellation' (very much similar to the electronic mufflers that Dennis mentioned). The chamberred type also uses volume pressure scavenging which works directly with the frequency of the exhaust signal. This effectively changes how the exhaust mixture flows thru the muffler.....and this is where gross flow measured on a flow bench, can not go. It requires the frequency components to function and accelerate the exhaust gasses thru the muffler. It is very much like a true "X" pipe (http://www.geocities.com/tholt67/Exdiagram.jpg) exhaust system and operates just the same. 180* headers operate under the same manner.........pulse scavenging.

Flowbench numbers mean absolutly nothing in respect to the gross flow of a chambered muffler, but it does show the mean flow number......so its not really comparing apples to apples in reality.

Another factor here that has not been discussed is the temperature of the exhaust gasses and how effects flow and pressure. But that is another story and only has a limited effect in the 'big picture'....but it does have a large effect on specific exhaust components like the "X" and the internals of a chambered muffler individually.

yody
08-29-2004, 03:06 PM
:hmm: so how does that relate to the muffler scavenging the exhaust? time for lesson 2! :smoke:

ironroad9c1
08-29-2004, 05:42 PM
just buy some dang dynomax mufflers and be done..lol get the stainless steel ultraflows if you want em to last ..lol lets not make this into rocket science..lol

yody
08-29-2004, 05:56 PM
i already know exactly how my exhaust systme is going to be, and yes exhaust is a science. Part of protouring isn NOT just throwing stuff on your car without doing research on it. Some of us enjoy researching and trying to understand and learn whats going on with our cars. :hand: My exhaust is;
2" primary super comp hooker headers into flowmaster 4-2-1 collector with a 3-3.5 collector with a flowmaster ball and socket adapter, into 3" exhaust going into a X pipe then into 3" ultraflo mufflers and then 3" tailpipes that dump just below the quarter panel

chicane67
08-29-2004, 06:34 PM
:hah: Well, that proves the theory and tee-shirt that Virgina doesnt add too much to the gene pool..... and coming from a 5 point slow at that. Rocket science is rudementary, because of wave theory.

To answer your other question yodmiser, simply stated, in an exhaust system, any time you can create a negative pressure it helps evacuate the spent gasses and eliminates any back pressure. Kinda like a piston in a swept cylinder, heading for BDC on the intake stroke. The negative pressure pulls the mixture thru. With a muffler that operates by negative scavenging, it helps pulls the mixture from the collector and mid section.

Any time you turn a fluid medium (any fluid actually), like that of an intake or exhaust mixture more than 12*, there is a restriction in mass and mean flow. The most restrictive parts of an exhaust system are where you turn the medium in direction. The "X" helps to offset the losses from the turn at the collector down thru the transmission tunnel. A good muffler can help that as well as it draws the mixture out of the part in the system that is associated with the greatest loss.

Also, to help the exhaust system out a little, the most popular modification to help out with scavenging is to run the tail pipes one size under the rest of the system. 3.5" collector- 3.5" tubing and 3.0" tail pipes aft of the muffler. This convergent ducting increases velocity and reduces pressure....in effect, it creates a negative pressure in the muffler and helps to evacuate the exhaust system as a whole.

I did a 70.5 Camaro with a 502 that had 3.5" collectors, so I did everything in 3.5" and then 3.0" aft of the muffler because I used Dynomax 'UltraFlo's. With a Flowmaster, I would of run 3.5" aft of the muffler because of how the muffler operates. Tried both, in both of the different configurations noted above. The data showed enough to make the point worth stating.

All in all, I have done quite a few dyno sessions with different mufflers and systems designs. And ya know what? The Dynomax UltraFlo's have continuously made more power with Chevrolet engines and Flowmaster has made more power with Ford. Care to take a guess as to why??

yody
08-29-2004, 08:27 PM
yeah i would like to use 3.5 into the X and out which would make everything like one big long collector but ground clearance won't allow it. The negative pressure theory makes perfect sense to me. If you do know, how do the different designs and which mufflers make a negative pressure? i take it the flowmasters do? also i guess that with the Ford firing order it creates more even exhaust pulses and the negative pressure in the flowmasters somehow help or something along the lines? i am really enjoyingg this topic! But sometimes i crave for direct examples so i can more identify with everyday use. BTW Virginia Rocks! :git: :rotfl:

ironroad9c1
08-30-2004, 01:46 PM
damn i try for a little humor and get kicked in the balls ,hey i'm not from here i'm just forced to stay here for the next year..lol

chicane67
08-30-2004, 03:03 PM
:injured:

Hey is that T-shirt thing as big of a circus act as it is being portrayed on/in the news?? Virginia isnt all that bad. I just had to get a little :poke: in.....lol

Patrolman808
09-15-2004, 06:02 AM
I'm going to run the same exhaust I had on my 02 Z-28. I had true duals with 3" pipe and a Hedman X-pipe running into 1 chamber Flowmaster 3" race mufflers. It was the best sounding LS1 exhast I've ever heard. Got tons of compliments. Now that I'm adding a huge cam, mine should sound that much better. Just my opinion though..

rumblee
09-15-2004, 10:52 AM
I worked on a guys 99 z28 with the most horrible sounding exhaust I had ever heard. He ran a single 3" pipe right from the y-pipe down the center of the car with 1 single chamber flowmaster clamped to it. He then mounted the muffler to the torque arm of all things with no tailpipe! It was gross..... This guy also took off some beautiful Fikse wheels and replaced them with some ugly 9 spoke chrome heavy bling bling wheels and put big stickers on the car..... oh well, its his car he can do what he wants with it.

rumblee
09-15-2004, 10:53 AM
I have hooker aero chambers on my nova. I really like the way they sound and it felt like a different car when I went from dynomax super turbos to the hooker mufflers. Does anyone else use/like these mufflers or just me? :)

68LSS1
09-16-2004, 12:06 AM
So using a smaller diameter tail pipe (muffler back) should be better with any media type muffler? And do these theories hold true to forced induction applications or just N/A. I'm assuming just N/A as with a turbo/blower you just want as little restriction as possible (looking at it from a performance stand point). Scavenging wouldn't be a issue or would it?

1Fine69
07-07-2006, 11:19 AM
chicane how do you learn so much about a pipe haha. im have 2.5 inch with h pipe to 40 series flowmasters and its healthy at idle and doesnt get to much louder when throttle is applied. im chaning to 3 inch with x pipes still out the back but i dont know what mufflers to go with. the one thing i cant deal with is the raspy sound. the sound u get after u rev when it sounds like the exhaust is climbing/lingering back down to idle. i just want a rumble that gets really loud when throttle is applied but i want the muffler to flow well.....what mufler do i go with? and is the x pipe and bigger diameter a good idea?