PDA

View Full Version : Installing quarter panels: how level does the floor have to be?

scherp69
05-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm in the process of installing new quarter panels, inner deep tubs, outer tubs and trunk dropoffs. As I understand it, the car should be sitting on the wheels to get the best fitment, or have the car on jackstands where the wheels would be. Does this sound right?

Also, I was told to make sure that the floor is level. How level does it have to be?? I put one jackstand on one side of the car and one on the other side of the car making sure they were both the same height off the ground. I then put a long level on the tubing to see how level it was. The bubble is between the two lines, but closer to the right line. I lifted the level up slightly (less than 1/3") and the bubble centred. Is this level enough or should I put something under the jackstand to get the bubble right in the middle?

Thanks in advance.

oestek
05-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Try to level the car, not just the stands. If the stands are level, the springs might not be right, and the car could still be off. You can shim up the jacks to make it happen.. use steel pieces if you can so they don't dig into wood. The rocker panels should be level, so start there. Then try to find a good left to right straight surface to check the level that way, like the rear package shelf, the core support, tail pan... you'll have to search around on your particular car to find the right spots. Once it's all squared up, go to town.

mikey
05-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I agree with the last comments but will add this you should have the stands where the suspension is loaded since it will sit that way on the tires. For instance if you put them on the rear of the frame rails it could cause some sag in the door jamb area. When it's put back on the ground the gaps will probably open up at the top.

oestek
05-05-2008, 07:57 AM
It sounds like that's how he has it. Another thing... try not to move the project once you cut it up! Make sure you can get to everything you need around the car so you can leave it "locked" once you get it leveled up and start cutting. If you have to move it, things will change.

scherp69
05-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the help so far guys. Unfortunately the car has already moved. I originally put new quarters on a couple years ago and glued them. At that point, the car one still one piece and I put them on with all four wheels ons. I went out one day to work on it (after stripping the car to only a shell) and gave the quarters a tug and off they came. Back to square one. I had the car blocked up under the rear bumper supports to change all the suspension. I was told to mock up the rear suspension again so I had to move the car to get the jackstands underneath the rear end. Do I just need to start taking measurements then to make sure the car is square???

scherp69
05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
ignore

scherp69
ignore

scherp69
Not sure what happened there....all of sudden my screen went blank and when I came back, it had posted twice. Oh well..I just checked my car. It's perfectly level front to back. Side to side...it's close. The bubble is between the lines, but touching one of them. That was with a level across the top of the trunk opening. Even when I lay it across the top flat part in the trunk...it's still about the same. I already have the passenger side quarter off so would that effect it some I assume.

marty69212
05-06-2008, 04:28 AM
i wouldnt worry about it too much. these cars were no even close to straight when they were made at the factory. anyone replacing sheet metal knows this... i think my car was a friday car , the drip rails were welded on wrong, the a pillars are cocked , the rt quarter was off a little. these cars definitally werent perfect brand new!!!

scherp69
05-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. That all makes sense and will make the job a lot less stressful having to make sure it's level in every which direction. Now I can start putting it together.