PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wilwood Brakes

CFster
02-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Somebody here said it's possible for Wilwood to basically make up a kit for you, or even modify their calipers?

The reason I ask is, I have a 12.19" setup (which I haven't tried yet) and I'm concerned about the rotors only being .81" thick. Not wanting to spring for a $1500 Superlite kit, I heard somewhere that they can sell me a thicker rotor, and somehow modify my caliper to make it wider (put some sort of spacer in the middle of the caliper housing itself).

Anybody hear of this?

I don't want to sound like an idiot when I call them :pat:

baz67
02-06-2005, 08:00 PM
What kind of car is this on? Is this the front or rear brakes? What is your intended use of the car ie: drag, auto-x, open track or cruising? A little more information will get you a more complete answer.

Brian

68BNUT
02-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey I call wilwood several times with basic questions and they are always happy to help I think they started to recognize my voice after awhile. Best bet for your questions is to just call them direct.

CFster
02-07-2005, 02:39 AM
What kind of car is this on? Is this the front or rear brakes? What is your intended use of the car ie: drag, auto-x, open track or cruising? A little more information will get you a more complete answer.

Brian

1964 Dodge Polara. See this post https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4291 (here.)

It's getting an "AlterKtion" front K member.

It's going to be used for some spirited driving on the street.

I'm afraid I'm going to have a warping problem - I think I may have made the incorrect choice. But I'm going to install them and see what happens. If I do run into problems I want to see what other options are out there.

baz67
02-07-2005, 06:27 AM
I think you would be fine with your stated use. If you have a concern, just give Wilwood a call. I have found them to be helpful just as Justin said.

Brian

dennis68
02-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Those 12X.810 rotors were not designed for that kind of use/abuse in this case. That is what Wilwood would call the H/D drag kit.

Call Wilwood and see if they can help with a different rotor/caliper. What hubs are you running, do they take a standard bolt on rotor?

CFster
02-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Those 12X.810 rotors were not designed for that kind of use/abuse in this case. That is what Wilwood would call the H/D drag kit.

Call Wilwood and see if they can help with a different rotor/caliper. What hubs are you running, do they take a standard bolt on rotor?

That's what I thought. I'm using a Dynalite Hub Kit - which has a hub, an aluminum hat and a rotor. I could upgrade to the Superlite 6 Hub Kit, but that's like $1600.

Anybody know if Baer or Brembo makes a big brake kit for my spindles?

dennis68
02-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry Cfster (a real name would be nice), I don't know jack about early Mopar interchangeability. Will late E or B spindles work on your arms?

CFster
02-07-2005, 07:25 PM
No, it's a custom K-member with Mustang II spindles. There are steering arms welded to the spindles.

-Colin

dennis68
02-07-2005, 08:28 PM
The circle track guys run Mustang II stuff, I'm sure you can scrounge up some decent hubs from Coleman or AFCO and find some decent size rotors to bolt up to them.