PDA

View Full Version : Someone Do My Bodywork.

GBodyGMachine
05-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I am so sick of doing bodywork, and I have only been at it for about 6 weeks. I hate sanding, I hate dust, and I hate the drowning noise of my compressor running all the time.
Bodywork is not my thing, never has been. I can do it now problem, but who in their right mind would want to. I could never make a career out of it.
Anyway, needed to vent. I am almost to the point of paying someone else to do it with the non existant money I have.
Jeff

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/01004-1.jpg

Bow Tie 67
05-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I hear you brother, I'm sick and tired of working on mine. Everything hurts and after all the welding I get to look forward to grinding them flush. Arghhh

WEAVER
05-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I hear ya,thats why i chose the interior side of things,I takes alot of time to get a car straight enuf to paint.Thats why a good paint and body job cost.Hats off to the guys that can do it.

63SW
05-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Skip all that sanding and have the car media blasted so you can start with a clean slate !

Its much easier than blocking old layers and trying to get that right !

Just spend some of that NON Existing money you mentioned.

I know its a B*tch and your right , Thats why it costs for a nice job...

I have a set of ear phones with a radio and i just get in my own little word and block out all the distractions !

Good luck...

GBodyGMachine
05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

69Bbird
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I was doing my car. Body work sucks. Keep with it its all worth it in the end.

muthstryker
05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I was just getting ready to attempt the body work on my regal rather then pay someone 7-10 k for paint and body, would rather pay the 2000-3000 for just the paint..

BADVELLE
05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
I hear ya,thats why i chose the interior side of things,I takes alot of time to get a car straight enuf to paint.Thats why a good paint and body job cost.Hats off to the guys that can do it.

I agree, the guys that do this day in and day out work their butts off! I would suggest that everyone try this at least one time, then we won't have anymore threads about the high cost (everythings relative) of body & paint. These guys work for their money.

GBodyGMachine
05-02-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree, the guys that do this day in and day out work their butts off! I would suggest that everyone try this at least one time, then we won't have anymore threads about the high cost (everythings relative) of body & paint. These guys work for their money.

ditto

2Bad4Ya
05-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah not to try one up ya, but try doing all the sanding with carpal tunnel syndrome. Pound on a keyboard all day then go home and block a panel for a couple hours.

My hand ends up so gnarled up and shaking it looks like my hand is deformed. :injured:

But I am so damned anal, I just have to do it myself so I KNOW its done right. My friends say I should change my tag to "Overkill", I am so picky.

Smock67
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I think i have over 150 hours in my firebird to get it to driver quality, which is exactly what i want. Crazy props to those that get there cars to show quality. It most certainly a task for the impatient.

balljoint
05-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I've got about 700 hours into my camaro. All sheetmetal changed. 2.5 years now. I'm SICK of block sanding. Almost done though for paint.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

GBodyGMachine
05-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I've got about 700 hours into my camaro. All sheetmetal changed. 2.5 years now. I'm SICK of block sanding. Almost done though for paint.

Wow, looks great. My biggest problem is I hate not having a hotrod to drive during the summer, so I have to get this done in a timely manner.

Mr.VENGEANCE
05-03-2008, 11:13 AM
all that block sanding.. might make you one helluva DJ....

ahahah

67velle
05-03-2008, 04:22 PM
please now respect us body and paint guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! told you it wasnt easy......you can tell the difference at first glance at any car show!:jawdrop:

Steve68
05-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I call it Zen and body work, you have to go somewhere else while doing it!

GBodyGMachine
05-04-2008, 04:39 AM
please now respect us body and paint guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! told you it wasnt easy......you can tell the difference at first glance at any car show!:jawdrop:

O, and you're in howell :help:.
What shop are you at?
Jeff

hotrdblder
05-04-2008, 04:51 AM
the first key is to only use a da when stripping, its also using good quality products, most of the cheaper fillers, primers etc sand like crap and make your life way harder then it should be. also any primer that does not use a hardner is junk and the cheaper ones that do use a hardner cause more problems then there worth.

GBodyGMachine
05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
the first key is to only use a da when stripping, its also using good quality products, most of the cheaper fillers, primers etc sand like crap and make your life way harder then it should be. also any primer that does not use a hardner is junk and the cheaper ones that do use a hardner cause more problems then there worth.
Thanks for the tips.
I am currently using all PPG primers and 3M everything else.

Jeff

TA219
05-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree, this stuff is rough!! I spent a good portion of my sunday trying to get 1/8" gaps all the way around my trunk, when i wasnt doing that i was filling and sanding the panel between the rear window and trunk... fill... sand... find a low spot... fill...sand...change sandpaper.... sand...sand...

I am definatly going to try out the rage filler next time i buy some!!

Young Gun
05-05-2008, 07:47 AM
wish I even knew how to do body work... let alone weld...i think ill take a course at the local community college this summer and try to learn...as much as yall hate it...its something I would love to know how to to!

GBodyGMachine
05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
wish I even knew how to do body work... let alone weld...i think ill take a course at the local community college this summer and try to learn...as much as yall hate it...its something I would love to know how to to!

It is nice to know how to do bodywork, but it takes a certian person. For example, you have to have patience. I have none. You also have to have a good hand to feel body lines and so on.
I give it up to good body men. Takes alot of skill.
J

Tony_SS
05-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Never pay someone for what you can do yourself, assuming you can, and it sounds like it. Let this be a progress thread.

But then again I hate (house) painting so much and our kitchen needs it that I so do not want to do that job. I'm ready to hire it out.. lol. So I can't talk much.