PDA

View Full Version : Cooling a centrifugal supercharged BBC

Mick_540
02-06-2005, 04:03 AM
I know there are a few of you out there with BBC engines with centrifugal superchargers.

My 540 has a vortech V7, and a air to air intercooler in front of the radiator. I am running twin thermo fans, a Team G pump, and a big alum radiator. At this stage I don't think airflow is the problem.

During days when the temperature gets to about 85 degrees, the gauge can show up to 205 degrees. The gauge is installed next to the thermostat. I would feel a lot more comfortable at say 180-190 degrees.

Can any of you guys give me some pointers as to what I can to make it run cooler? I have replaced thermostat (180 degrees), had the radiator cleaned (properly), the bottom hose does not collapse. I am thinking now it might be a timing issue, but I would be very interested to hear from other centrifugal owners who have had coolant temp problems.

porschev8
02-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Mick,
Does it run 205 degrees driving down highway or is the problem happening at lower speeds (40mph and under)?

gmachinz
02-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm going to guess the fans-even though you have two of them (and hopefully not acting as pushers), are not able to pull enough airflow to maintain adequate heat transfer-especially with a big air to air cooler in front. What type of fans are they? CFM rating? -Jabin

ProTeal55
03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
I would highly recommend the dual Spal fans. I had a 1972 Nova , with a 15:1 compression 502 C.I.D , and the car ran at just under 185 all day long. I had the biggest radiator that BeCool makes , along with a 160 thermostat, Mezerrie "BigGulp" electric waterpump, and the Spal dual electric puller fans.

Best colling setup in my opinion.......