PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood rotors: cracked

Mick_540
02-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I purchased and installed a Wilwood rotor and calliper kit on my 1970 Camaro.

Stupidly, I used cross drilled rotors (160-7097/8).

After only 200 miles, I now have cracks extending from the outer-most drill holes to the edge of the rotor.

Has anybody else experienced cracking of Wilwood rotors?

I will post some photos in the next day or so.

TonyL
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
read
this, (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215&highlight=cross+drilled)

then this thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214&highlight=cross+drilled)

and a short answer to your question is, yes. almost all who use crossdrilled rotors suffer from this,.

David Pozzi
02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Some of the Willwood kits use brakes smaller than stock.
What size are yours?

Mick_540
02-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes, I have already read most of the discussion on corner carvers. I guess I was sort of asking whether Wilwood might be more or less prone to this type of cracking than other manufacturers.

I guess I fell for the bling bling.

Looks like Wilwood sell a non cross-drilled rotor for this kit, so I am going to replace.

Steve1968LS2
02-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Funny, the CD Wilwood rotors on my 2000 SS never cracked.. then again it only saw a couple of open track events each year. Still, I was pretty hard on them.

I agree that they are mostly there for appearance.

harshman
02-08-2005, 09:58 AM
where is yody when you need him? :enguard:

MoeBawlz
02-08-2005, 11:06 AM
My MX6 when i bought it had cross drilled on the front and back... the car needed a brake job so i just replaced the rotors with solids. but upon inspection you can see stress fractures along almost all of the holes. This was from regular everyday driving.

someone on cornercarvers uses cross drilled rotors and hasnt had problems with them either, but his only maitenance to them is to chamfer all of the holes before each event.

Conekiller13
02-08-2005, 01:33 PM
I've been running the same set of Baer C/D rotrs on My Chevelle since 2000. Seen a half dozen track days and a couple dozen autoX's and a couple trips from Portland to Laguna Seca. No cracking.........the C/D are bling factor only but My experiance is the Baer rotors do not seem to be as prone to cracking as other manufacturers.