PDA

View Full Version : C5 17" stock wheel rotor/caliper clearance with 13" rotors

64Chevelle
04-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Hi,

I'm considering buy a set of C5 stock magnesium wheels with 17" up front with the Baer kit offered from SC&C. Will the brakes fit inside that wheel or do I have to go 18"?? :hmm:

I will most likely be using wheel spacers because of the smaller backspacing with the C5 wheels. Don't know if that matters though.

Apogee
04-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Stock C5 rotors are 12.8" [325mm] and Baer GT kits use C5 components...therefore you shouldn't have any issues. If you're contemplating the Baer Track kits, those are even smaller as they use C4 components. Throw in some serious wheel spacers/adapters to get your offset in the ballpark for an A-body and you should have a ton of clearance (C5 wheels are high positive offset => large backspacing).

Tobin
KORE3

64Chevelle
04-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Stock C5 rotors are 12.8" [325mm] and Baer GT kits use C5 components...therefore you shouldn't have any issues. If you're contemplating the Baer Track kits, those are even smaller as they use C4 components. Throw in some serious wheel spacers/adapters to get your offset in the ballpark for an A-body and you should have a ton of clearance (C5 wheels are high positive offset => large backspacing).

Thanks for that information. Do you know what the backspacing are on the C5 wheels? I know the AFX spindle moves the track width out a small amount too so I was hoping that I wouldn't need very huge spacers. Think I found it at Summits site (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400866+115+316574&autoview=sku), 7" in front and 7.5" in the back. With the 4.75-5" front and 5.5 rear backspace I need, the spacers need to be 2" (or a little more up front). That really seems too much... Opinions?

Apogee
04-25-2008, 06:53 AM
For the 17x8.5 front C5 wheels the standard offset is 56mm. This roughly equates to about a 6.95" backspacing measurement. Offset is a much less ambiguous measurement IMO since it's based on the centerline of the wheel, not the inner lip.

A 2" wheel spacer/adapter would essentially reduce your wheel offset to about 5mm and your BS to 4.95". That's probably in the ball park, but without knowing what vehicle you're working on it's hard to be more specific (guessing '64 Chevelle? ;). There's nothing wrong with running 2"+ wheel adapters so long as they're properly designed, machined, and installed.

Tobin
KORE3