PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Chevette w/ Cadillac V8

Megalovette
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
I am excited to have been introduced to the site from Jalopnik and the post on the ecotec turbo Chevette. I am getting into the finer details of the build and really need a hand on suspension and anything else anyone is willing to offer!

I am using the 4.9l PFI V8 out of a '94 DeVille. I chose this over the newer 4's and V6's available because the engine makes good power(240hp 300lb/ft), is only 50-60lbs heavier than the 4 I took out (360 lbs), and it is relaitively basic from a fuel injection/electronics standpoint.

I will post a thread of my progress somewhere when I figure out where it goes, until then, here is the new front k-member with the other pieces being mocked up before welding.

Thanks,
Dan

oestek
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I had the pleasure of driving Magnante's Cad 500 powered 'Vette down the track at LACR... man, lots of torque in a little car makes for some interesting driving! It was fun and scary, especially staring at (and straddling) the back of the engine and trans while hammering down the quarter mile, as there was no firewall. In my head I was just praying not to blow a heater or radiator hose and get a hot spray!

Megalovette
04-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I avoided the 8.2l!

I had a brief email exchange with Steve about 3-4 years ago when he was selling it on ebay. Hot Rod magazine has not the same after he left . . .

ixfn
04-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Interesting engine choice! Makes sense for your project though... Ever consider a Northstar?

Megalovette
04-17-2008, 10:02 AM
To be honest the complexity of 4 cams and the electronics concerned me. Also, cost was a large factor, 4.9's are cheap and plentiful and lend themselves to using megasquirt. Not that I am a N* hater, the 4.9 just seemed to fit the character and style of the car, light with big torque, like a 5.0 mustang. I did read someones analysis of the two engines and though worlds apart tech wise, they make power about the same up to 4000rpm which is where I will get most of my use out of it.

subtlez28
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Cool project!

I started building a 4.9 cad fiero. The project stalled and I passed it to my brother. He hasn't moved on it either, so I imagine it will be back to me eventually. Problem is I have a few projects ahead in line.

Anyway, I am very interested in this build! I actually kinda like chevettes (except their lack of power). Should make a great sleeper!

Megalovette
04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
My inspiration came from the fiero folks, the fiero weighs so little that an extra 50hp is a real kick. I like how they used the oem powertrains to get the power with limited modification.

I think the chevette may be even lighter than the fiero, I think this car may weigh right around 2000lbs; the original engine was 65hp/98ftlbs.

In any case, here is the front suspension all tacked-up and in for a test fitting. Don't worry I plan on gusseting everything real nice because it is rather spindly right now. I plan on using a Monte Carlo type brace but it is easier to do it and take pictures rather than explain it all here. . .

ixfn
04-20-2008, 07:44 PM
To be honest the complexity of 4 cams and the electronics concerned me.

Yeah, I have a '97 N* engine I picked up to put into my '85 IROC... I'm pretty on the fence about now with the swap.