PDA

View Full Version : 67 fastback

Travis77
08-20-2004, 03:25 AM
I was wondering if someone new what the max wheel/tire size that would fit under a 67 mustang without mods.? I plan to lip all fenders and run at least 17's. Up front I plan on installing the global west coil over conversion, they said it would return my car to near factory specs, I guess I'll find out.

67Sally
08-22-2004, 03:46 AM
Check this list out. It might help some. http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fitment%20Guide%2067-8.pdf

kmcanally
08-22-2004, 05:52 AM
My 68 coupe has 17x9 with 275/40 on the back and 17x8 with 245/45 on the front....the back has 1/2" spacers only for aesthetics not for clearance....

Travis77
08-26-2004, 05:21 PM
I think I might want to go wider. I'm tired of watching all the camaro guys having all the fun while running around with those meats in back. So..... I'm looking at doing a mini-tub on my fastback. If anyone has done or knows the best place to look, it would be great to get some info.. I'm wanting to go at least 295, on either 17 or possibly 18 inch rim, but 315 are looking better and better. I have a 9" reworked with 3:55 gears, that is ready to install, but I need to get more info., to establish how much I need to narrow it. Thanks

kmcanally
08-27-2004, 05:13 PM
315's would look sweet on your fastback....mini-tubbing this car should be easier than the Camaro since the inner wheel house can move in 1 1/2" inches without cutting into the frame rail.

With the backspacing I have there is 1 1/2" between the inside of the 275 tire and the leaf spring. So fitting a 295 would only require some minor "hammer" surgery to the front of the wheelhouse.

But if you are going to cut it up you might as well go all the way and get into the frame rail to fit up some 335 or 345's...I would love to see that on a early Mustang. After I finish this car that will be a future project...after I build my 427 stroker :drool:

Travis77
09-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Is there a company that you know of that sells a kit for a mustang?

JohnnyGMachine
09-03-2004, 03:59 PM
KMCANALLY,

I like that coupe a lot. That'll have a sweet stance. I'm with you on the aesthetics as far as wheel placement in the wheel wells. I almost think I'm anal about it. It's gotta look tight and have just the right stance. That's why I'm going with coilovers on my 85 mustang Notch so I can adjust the ride height to exactly where I want it. I'm also going with 17x9 for the back and a 257. There's plenty of room if you plan it out. I'll stay with the 17x8s for the front.

Again, nice coupe!

kmcanally
09-04-2004, 05:02 AM
I doubt anyone makes a mini-tub kit for a Mustang...especially an older model like ours. There is not enough demand to warrant the cost of tooling to stamp out wider inner wheel houses. I beleive the early Mustang market is dominated by the chalk mark resto guys more so than the Camaro is. So your only option is to dive in and fabricate solutions as you go. Tubbing for a 315 tire would be easier than a 335 or 345 since you would not have to relocate the leaf springs. This way you would only have to section your wheel houses and add a strip of approximately 1-1/2" of sheet metal to widen it. This would make the inside of the inner wheel house flush with the frame rail. This is based on the fact that a 315 tire is approximately 1-1/2" wider than a 275 which fits ok without surgery.

There is some mini-tubbed early Mustangs out there. I recall a Blue 69 or 70 fastback from San Antonio with 315's and also the red fastback that Stielow helped sort out also had 315's. So if any of you guys are out there we would to hear what it took you to fit up the big rub.

1970cuda
09-04-2004, 08:26 PM
i know that there is a company out there that is working on a mini tub kit but i can't find the info right now. i'll dig around some more and let you know as soon as i can.

Travis77
09-05-2004, 03:39 AM
Thanks guys, I have a couple of months before I'm going to tare into my project. Since this is my first, I need some imput. Say that 315's are the easiest, would it be worth it to go up to 335's. Also, I got a 9" reworked already but I am going to have to get it sized for my wheels. My question is this, what is the right approach? Is it getting my wheels, tubbing the car, then narrowing my rearend?

kmcanally
09-05-2004, 04:31 AM
I think I would mock up your wheel/tire combo after you cut out the inner wheel housing and any other cutting you may do into the frame rail. This way you can get an accurate measurement from flange to flange for your rear width. Also, if you go with the 335 you will have to relocate the leaf springs into the area where the exhaust pipes run to the rear valance. So you will have to also modify the trunk floor to accomodate an aftermarket/modified original tank or run a side exit exhaust.

zachatola
01-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey guys im new the pro touring world, but ive been reading about all the different things that you guys have been doing especially to mustangs since thats my flavor. Dont want to steal a thread or anything but i was wondering if you guys could tell me what the widest 18 i could get on coupe 64-66. Is there any difference besides looks from 66-67? I see you guys could get up to a 315 before frame cutting is required, so i may do a mini tub and a 315 if i can get it in there. Also how wide is the 315? just trying to get a idea. Also you guys got any pics of your cars, they sound cool as hell.

6t6mustang
01-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Travis77, I'm with Kmcanally on the rear end width. I'm in the process of mini tubbing a 66 and thats how I'm getting my rear end dimensions.

Zachotola, I used a BFG KD 315-35-17 to mock up my rear end and with 3/4 inch spacing between the tire and outer wheelwell lip I didn't have any frame left to work with, so I cut the back leftside of the car off and thats were I'm at. Going to fabricate new frame rails. I think 295's are do-able using your existing frames, but I think you'll be doing some cutting. Thats what the Year One mustang is running (295-35-18's) if I'm not mistaken. If you call them they may be able to help you out with some questions. Also it's my understanding that the quarters are flared 1 inch wider on the 67-68. Thats why a 10mm wider tire will work on a 67-68.

Kmcanally, Very nice Mustang!
Jeff

zachatola
01-30-2005, 04:44 PM
K so your going to have to cut the entire frame and move it inward? How is that going to effect your leaf springs? Im just wondering what it woudl take to get a 18x10 on the back fo a 64-66. Sounds like a total rear is going to be needed for a 315. What kind of backspacing are you looking at with your set up? Thanks for the help guys

6t6mustang
01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Zachatoa, I'm going to run a 3 link so the leaf springs weren't a issue. Thats why I'm not using the original frame rails. You might be able to come up with some sort of offset spring shackle that will work to move the springs inward while using the stock frame.
Jeff