PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep mouth shut any longer.......Mule (from old board)

derekf
08-20-2004, 03:23 AM
clill
(6/1/04 2:34 pm)
Can't keep mouth shut any longer.......Mule
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.camcojb.com/mule6.jpg

clill
(6/1/04 2:35 pm)
pic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/mule6-1.jpg

camcojb
(6/1/04 2:36 pm)
Re: pic
Are there any more pics?!!!!!!!!!

Jody
MY CARS

clill
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 2:37 pm)
Reply a
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/mule1-1.jpg

clill
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 2:38 pm)
Reply a
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/mule2-1.jpg

REDSAND23
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 2:39 pm)
Reply Holy Shi&#@
You just could not leave well enough alone huh....
Incredible.....Nice very nice

camcojb
(6/1/04 2:44 pm)
Re: Holy Shi&#@
I think the idea was that a twin turbo was in Mark's plans but a certain engine builder couldn't get it built on time! So Charley decided to finish the car the way it was planned.

Jody
MY CARS

jp455
(6/1/04 2:52 pm)
Reply OH...MY...GOOODD!!
I just soiled myself!!

manuel scettri

XcYZ
(6/1/04 3:01 pm)
Re: OH...MY...GOOODD!!
Awesome, thanks Charley!
Scott
My 69
Lateral-g.net

Pzary3233
(6/1/04 3:23 pm)
Reply WOW!
That is just plain awesome!!!!!!!!
Paul Z.

Ralph L
(6/1/04 3:23 pm)
Re: OH...MY...GOOODD!!
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pieced it together from bug knowing a secret that he couldn't tell me (I knew he went to check out Charley's cars) and the fact that the Mule was getting worked on, I figured what else could it be?!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you done any dyno runs yet???

P.S. I see you swapped out the pbr's for Alcons..way cool!
Ralph
Project Fantom Expected Completion - May 2005
My Tahoe - "Black Mamba"
Rendering of Project Fantom

Edited by: Ralph L at: 6/1/04 3:28 pm

Pzary3233
(6/1/04 3:25 pm)
Reply any more picts?
Charley,

Are there any more pictures of the car?

Paul Z.

jschwartz
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 3:31 pm)
Reply tt
Sweet! Look forward to seeing it on HRPT.
JEff S

B Schein
(6/1/04 3:33 pm)
Re: any more picts?
Damit, I guess I have to go to Carlisle to get a up close look at "The Mule". I was on the fence as to if I was going to go or not I guess you just pushed me over.
Brian
My Car

Mark Antrim
(6/1/04 3:49 pm)
Reply Re: any more picts?
alright this sucks, I was supposed to go to the power tour but can't now. Where's the next place you will be? I need to see it in person.

Mark Antrim

CarlC
(6/1/04 4:01 pm)
Reply el Mule
SHOTGUN!!!!

camcojb
(6/1/04 4:02 pm)
Re: any more picts?

Quote:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you done any dyno runs yet???

It made 1025 HP at about 16 psi as I remember with over 800 ft. lbs. of torque! He is tuning it back some for the Power Tour though.

Jody
MY CARS

Edited by: camcojb at: 6/1/04 4:20 pm

clill
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 4:11 pm)
Reply Mule
I think hp was about 1025 at 16 lbs and about 815 ft lbs on 100 octane on the engine dyno. I will be able to dial it down for pump gas and run at we are guessing about 800hp. This is all being done at Wheel to Wheel Powertrain in Michigan under the guidance of Stielow. The truck is supposed to pick it up in the morning to take it to Texas for Power Tour. If all goes well it is having it's first test drive tonight. It's real test drive will be Power Tour. Stielow will be on at least the first part of Power Tour for GM so if there are glitches I know where to find help....Oh Boy............

zbugger
(6/1/04 4:38 pm)
Re: Mule
Well Charley, I did keep my mouth shut.......But DAMN!!!!!!!

Now about that ride.......

Stuart Adams
(6/1/04 5:00 pm)
Reply Mule
Awesome. I was getting tired of holding a secret also. That power will be fun, I want a ride.

ZL1
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 5:06 pm)
Reply Mule
So if I head over to the Bloomfield Hills area I may ,I may see it around?

SHMOOV69
(6/1/04 5:10 pm)
Reply DEEEAAAMMMMNNNN!!!!
WOW!! What turbos are those!?!!? They look huge!!!
Jimmy

beyonda68
(6/1/04 5:16 pm)
Reply The Gods Have spoken!
Well I think we have a new diety to worship. All hail the Mule, All hail the Mule, All hail the Mule...

pro69vair
(6/1/04 5:27 pm)
Re: The Gods Have spoken!
new? new? Ive been worshiping it all this time for nothin?

actually, i remember this day, as if i met tom cruise in person..

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

HOOLIGAN
(6/1/04 6:10 pm)
Reply EFI
Is that the same efi system?

clill
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 6:13 pm)
Reply Mule
It is still a Kinsler intake but it has the thermostat housing back on the intake.

ProPacer
(6/1/04 6:16 pm)
Reply Tasty....
Charley, ...Great job, beautiful execution, and flawless craftsmanship and engineering..I am sure Mark is also very happy with the outcome, and he is not an easy guy to impress...Congrats...

Edited by: ProPacer at: 6/2/04 5:56 am

o1mrquick
(6/1/04 6:19 pm)
Reply nice...
Hey Charley I knew you couldn't keep it a secret...I think Allen owes me some money! !you where biting your lip when we saw you at pleasanton looks good can't wait to see the dyno footage! Hey I just bought a house in Woodland , we'll (the gang) have to stop by sometime.Take care o1

Nine Ball
(6/1/04 6:32 pm)
Re: Tasty....
Now I have to say the Mule is perfect. Always loved the appearance and engineering of the car, but thought it needed more power. DONE!

Can't wait to see it on Power Tour.

Tony
Owner, www.LS1TECH.com
| 1969 Camaro SS-350 | Coming - 600HP LS1 6-speed | Project "Extreme-G" |
| 2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Convertible | Photos |
| 1998 Formula M6 SOLD! | 10.67 @ 128.36 (1.49) All-Motor! | Modifications |
| 2002 GMC SLE X-Cab Sportside 5.3L | Lifted & on 18s / 33s | Modifications |

trapin
(6/1/04 6:38 pm)
Re: nice...
All it's missing now is the kitchen sink.

Great job Charley...I love how those boxes on the top match the valve covers.

....those boxes on the top. You can tell I know a lot about turbo chargers.
www.infamouscamaro.com
Man feed machine. Machine feed man.

Blown353
(6/1/04 6:58 pm)
Reply hehe
Charley, you need to give me another ride in the "new and improved" version the next time I'm up your way... LOL

Very nice!

Troy

Edited by: Blown353 at: 6/1/04 7:00 pm

67Sally
(6/1/04 8:06 pm)
Re: hehe
Damn!
William
Project PonySnake - 67 Mustang Fastback

camcojb
(6/1/04 8:16 pm)

Quote:
P.S. I see you swapped out the pbr's for Alcons..way cool!

Ralph,

The Mule had Alcons up front and PBR's on the rear; still the same. They did have to do a spring change up front due to the extra weight of the turbo's, which is why the front wheel is off in that pic.

Jody
MY CARS

chicane67
(6/1/04 8:18 pm)
Reply Re: hehe

Quote:
SHOTGUN!!!!

I out weight you by fifty pounds..........you wanna shot at the title Carl ??

BUT, you did call it first......darn it !!

Ralph L
(6/1/04 8:24 pm)

Quote:
The Mule had Alcons up front and PBR's on the rear; still the same. They did have to do a spring change up front due to the extra weight of the turbo's, which is why the front wheel is off in that pic.

Whoops, not sure why I thought it had regular PBRs ...Are those 4 or 6 piston alcons?

Do you know what spring rate they used up front? And roughly what it equates to on a stock type setup, I know the rates are magnified when on the C4 style frames...
Ralph
Project Fantom Expected Completion - May 2005
My Tahoe - "Black Mamba"
Rendering of Project Fantom

69LT1
(6/1/04 8:59 pm)
Reply Re:
When I grow up, I wanna be Charley.

Jeff

James D
(6/1/04 9:17 pm)
Reply .
no freakin way, wow thats all i can say right now, the coolest camaro just got a whole lot faster. are there any pics of the build up process? i would have loved to see that thing covered in the PHR series. i would go on the power tour just to see that monster. do you think it will be recovered by any of the magazines now that its got the turbos?

Edited by: James D at: 6/1/04 9:31 pm

clill
Unregistered User
(6/1/04 9:32 pm)
Reply Mule
Mark will have more articles on it's transformation.

jims78elky
(6/1/04 10:15 pm)
Reply Wow!
Set down boys and girls,and let me tell you a story of the gods of pro-touring. Outstanding... just a Great job..

awr68
(6/1/04 10:33 pm)
Reply Re: Wow!
Well I'm glad this isn't a competition...I'd be in last place!!!

Charley, what can I say...I didn't see that one coming!! But I'm glad you decided to finisher her off the way she was suppose to be!! Now I truly NEED to see the car!!! Job well done!!

I wonder if Mark would over see my project too...at least that way it would get finished.....
Anthony
'68 PT Camaro

davidpozzi
(6/1/04 11:22 pm)
Re: Wow!
clill,
The best just got better!
Thanks for sharing with us!
Maybe you'd better put a parachute on the car!

David
67 RS Camaro, 69 Camaro vint racer, 65 Lola T-70 Can-Am vint racer.
ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/David_Pozzi/

Milow68
(6/1/04 11:34 pm)
Reply Re: Wow!
Or at least a towel dispenser in front of the car so we can wipe our drool off before we get too close.

Good job Charley can't wait to see you and the mule on the tour.
Brad

davidpozzi
(6/1/04 11:37 pm)
Better put a plastic liner on that passenger seat!

Martin71RS
(6/1/04 11:47 pm)

Where does it end...... and again the goals are set higher....

VERY, VERY nice!

Martin
71RS .....Pro-touring in progress outside the USA http://surf.to/camaro

andrewb70
(6/2/04 3:08 am)
Great job Charley...

Now I just want to know what the "Other" secret is...

Andrew
Project GatTagO

welterracer
(6/2/04 6:30 am)
Reply IM JELOUS!!
That is just plain AWSOME... UNBELIEVABLE!!

Larry Callahan
Administrator
(6/2/04 6:49 am)
Re: IM JELOUS!!
Way to go Charley!!! I showed the pics to my Fiance. She says you should change the name from Mule to Squirrel because you know it's gonna be squirriely! lol

I can't wait to hear it run!
Larry Callahan

Creator of www.pro-touring.com & www.g-machines.com the web sites.

Please support our site. If you purchase parts or services found here
please tell them where you found them.

camaroboy69
(6/2/04 8:10 am)
Re: IM JELOUS!!
WOW that is absolutely awesome!!! Talking about making my dream car even better!!! Wow now I really cant wait to see it in chicago!!! I had a feeling twin turbos were in progress too but didnt want to say anything. Thank you so much for sharing the pics Charley(clill)!!!!

jg67
(6/2/04 8:49 am)
Reply Re: WOW!!!!
Excellant craftsmanship Charley and thanks for sharing it all. If you don't mind me asking what mechanism are you using to latch the hood? I see you did away with the stock latch and I have the same problem.

Larry Callahan
Administrator
(6/2/04 9:45 am)
Missing stock latch?
I too have the same problem. I am looking into a twin latch setup from a 1993 Corvette. I saw one at a show last year. Since then I have been trying to find one again to look at. I think it would be easy to graft in.
Larry Callahan

XcYZ
(6/2/04 10:04 am)
Re: Missing stock latch?
Cool idea, Larry. A different latch is something that I've been looking into as well.
Scott
My 69
Lateral-g.net

camaroboy69
(6/2/04 10:09 am)
latch
That would be interresting to those ideas on the latches.

Edited by: camaroboy69 at: 6/2/04 10:11 am

jg67
(6/2/04 10:24 am)
Reply Re: latch
I need a solution because I hate to use the hood pins again. I have had the hood painted with the holes still in place but if i can find a low profile latch that works i will cover up the holes with the locking keyed flush mounted hood pins. should look ok...

ProPacer
(6/2/04 10:38 am)
Re: Can't keep mouth shut any longer.......Mule
Charley,

Is there any concern about the heat generation of the turbos, in such close relation to the fiberglass hood, and whether or not they will warp the hood, or discolor the nice paint under there? Just curious if you were going to insulate them, or if enough area exists under the hood to dissipate the heat.

J.T.
www.Lateral-G.net

clill
Unregistered User
(6/2/04 12:53 pm)
Reply Mule
Funny you should ask.. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/mulehood-1.jpg
clill
Unregistered User
(6/2/04 12:55 pm)
Reply Hood
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/mulehood-1.jpg

clill
Unregistered User
(6/2/04 12:57 pm)
Reply Hood pins
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/hoodpins-1.gif

clill
Unregistered User
(6/2/04 12:59 pm)
Reply Mule ..you can see the pins
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/mulepass-1.jpg

camaroboy69
(6/2/04 1:01 pm)
Reply ahhhh
Good ole engineers at their best!!! Looks great and functional too.

ProPacer
(6/2/04 1:24 pm)
Ahhhh....tasteful solution...W2W does some damn nice work......Love the car.
www.Lateral-G.net

camcojb
(6/2/04 1:51 pm)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/mulehoodpin-1.jpg
MY CARS

Edited by: camcojb at: 6/2/04 1:52 pm

derekf
08-20-2004, 03:31 AM
LIL NOVE
(6/2/04 9:19 pm)
Reply Re: Can't keep mouth shut any longer.......Mule
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD, GO CHARLEY!!!!!!

ANYONE SEE TOM IZZO'S 69 CAMARO IN PHR....

JOHN

yody
(6/2/04 10:08 pm)
how come there are no hood springs? is there some kind of mechanical linkage that keeps the hood open? also are those heat shields on the down bars? also are you going to have the headers and down pipe ceramic coated or is that a no no on turbos or maybe stainless?
firebird website

awr68
(6/2/04 10:30 pm)
Reply Re:
What are the two canisters on the firewall at the stock heater location...I don't remember seeing them before??

Got any pics of the innercooler??
Anthony
'68 PT Camaro

Tyler
(6/2/04 10:34 pm)
Reply Re: Re:
Awsome, looks great.

Intercooler(s)?

yody
(6/2/04 10:40 pm)
Re: Re:
maybe the canisters are an extra oil supply for the turbos?
firebird website

slam 73
Unregistered User
(6/2/04 10:47 pm)
Reply magic hood locks
If you look close you can see the lock ties holding the hood hinges up.Jason

James D
(6/2/04 11:41 pm)
Reply Re: magic hood locks
the car still looks so very subtle, thats what i always loved about it.
http://www.z28camaro.20m.com

Martin71RS
(6/3/04 12:34 am)
Re: magic hood locks
Got the new HotRod last night and it had a spy pic of the mule with turbos (not finished)....and then they say: you saw it first in HotRod

Not if you visit this site

Martin
71RS .....Pro-touring in progress outside the USA http://surf.to/camaro

trapin
(6/3/04 6:09 am)
Reply Springs...
Charley....not sure if you know this but they sell low tension springs for that fiberglass hood. I had some once on an old Harwood hood I used about 14 years ago. Although with the filler that was added underneath during painting, I'm not sure if the weight has been increased which would negate both the low tension and stock tension springs.

Is this why Mark opted to use a piece of cable to hold it up?

Edited by: trapin at: 6/3/04 6:16 am

clill
Unregistered User
(6/3/04 7:15 am)
Reply Intercooler

clill
Unregistered User
(6/3/04 11:20 am)
Reply Mule
The Tie wraps on the hood hinges is something that Mark has been doing on his Camaro's as they are simple and work. When I bought the Red Witch someone else had added springs and I have just left them on. The cannisters on the firewall are Power Steering and radiator overflow.

James D
(6/3/04 12:01 pm)
so did they rebuild the engine? change cams? i saw earlier that they kept the block and heads, did they change compression, stroke anything else?
http://www.z28camaro.20m.com

jay web
(6/3/04 12:49 pm)
Charley - 2 things - (1) It must really suck to be you and (2) you mean somebody else other than you and Stielow?

clill
Unregistered User
(6/3/04 1:00 pm)
Reply Red Witch
Jay Web... Years ago I tried to buy the Red Witch when Mark had it in Hemmings but he had alreay sold it. I later bought it off of Ebay from the guy Mark sold it to. The guy had added hood pins, springs and a front bumper. No it don't suck to be me right now, I'm pretty excited about the car. I start getting pretty hyped up when Power tour time comes around.

XcYZ
(6/3/04 1:21 pm)
Charley, when do you expect the Mule to be back to your place after the HRPT?
Scott
My 69
Lateral-g.net

jay web
(6/3/04 1:22 pm)
Reply Re: Red Witch
COOL. You are probably tired of hearing it by now, but you have an incredible collection. Be careful with it on power tour, b/c there are a lot of people here and on camaros.net that would probably kill you if you messed that thing up

camcojb
(6/3/04 1:59 pm)
Re: Red Witch
Scott,

It won't be there when you're there. It turns out they have more things they want to do at Wheel to Wheel after the tour, plus I think he's taking it to a show back east directly from the Tour.

Sorry!

Jody
MY CARS

Steve2000SS
(6/3/04 2:04 pm)
Reply :)
Where is that "drool" icon???

Very nice.. the turbo setup goes very well with the look of the car..

Hope to see it someday!!

clill
Unregistered User
(6/3/04 5:10 pm)
Reply Some Mule Specs

Charley Lillard’s Twin Turbo 1969 Camaro
1021 Horsepower at 16 psi

The following components were used to complete the “new” Mule:

· Engine displacement – 389 cubic inches (4.135” bore x 3.625” stroke)
· GM aluminum race block
· Lunati 4340 crankshaft – 3.625” stroke
· JE Forged flat-top pistons (coated tops and skirts)
· Oliver 4340 billet steel connecting rods
· Clevite “H” series bearings
· Speed-Pro rings
· Cometic head gaskets
· Cam Motion custom grind solid roller camshaft
· Melling HV oil pump
· Fel-Pro gaskets
· ARP studs and bolts throughout engine
· MSD crank trigger
· 18 degree TFS aluminum cylinder heads – 2.150” titanium intake/ 1.600” exhaust
· Isky valve springs and retainers
· ATI dampner
· Kinsler independent intake runners
· Kinsler fuel regulator
· F.A.S.T. 65 lb per hour fuel injectors
· W2W custom fabricated dual intake plenums
· W2W custom billet throttle bodies
· W2W custom exhaust headers – 1 7/8” 321 stainless
· Precision Turbo 63mm ball bearing turbochargers
· W2W custom fabricated air to air intercooler system
· W2W custom stainless heat shields throughout engine compartment
· Matching power steering reservoir and overflow tank
· Lightweight Startlite hoses with AN fittings throughout vehicle
· Vintage Air air conditioning system
· W2W fabricated core support bar with hood pins
· F.A.S.T. engine management system
· Reworked front suspension and rack and pinion
· Aeromotive high pressure fuel pump

clill
Unregistered User
(6/3/04 5:43 pm)
Reply Dyno sheet

XcYZ
(6/3/04 7:50 pm)
No problem, Jody. I'm sure you and I can find plenty of other trouble to get into.
Scott
My 69
Lateral-g.net

camcojb
(6/3/04 8:43 pm)
Re: .
You bet!!!!!!!!!

Jody
MY CARS

yody
(6/3/04 10:37 pm)
the only negative thing i can see, is that it wans't done by steilow, he seems pretty ingenuitive, and probably would of come up with some really sweet ways of doing it all, also did they do everything to the high caliber like steilow? as in the suspensino coatings etc... when they changed stuff?
firebird website

68Protouring454
(6/4/04 5:03 am)
Reply Re: .
yody if you read the whole thread, you will see that W2W did this build up with steilow over seeing the project, thats why it is done the way it is done, even though from what i have seen from W2W they do not need any help at all
jake

I think hp was about 1025 at 16 lbs and about 815 ft lbs on 100 octane on the engine dyno. I will be able to dial it down for pump gas and run at we are guessing about 800hp. This is all being done at Wheel to Wheel Powertrain in Michigan under the guidance of Stielow. The truck is supposed to pick it up in the morning to take it to Texas for Power Tour. If all goes well it is having it's first test drive tonight. It's real test drive will be Power Tour. Stielow will be on at least the first part of Power Tour for GM so if there are glitches I know where to find help....Oh Boy...

by Clill , pg 1 of this topic

Edited by: 68Protouring454 at: 6/4/04 8:15 am

camaroboy69
(6/4/04 5:08 am)
I agree with 68protorouing454 there is nothing wrong with what they did at all!!! If it wasnt going to be tasteful or perfect then it wouldnt have been done at all. The Mule is definetly the best 69 Camaro and the poster car for Pro-Touring!!!!!!!!!!

StRacerDuke
(6/4/04 8:00 am)
Reply Pleasanton Tomorrow?
Charley,
Are you going to bring it out to Pleasanton GoodGuys tomorrow for a sneak peak?

~Ryan

camcojb
(6/4/04 8:06 am)
Re: Pleasanton Tomorrow?
Ryan,

It's on it's way to Texas for the Power Tour.

Jody
MY CARS

68Protouring454
(6/4/04 8:16 am)
Reply Re: Pleasanton Tomorrow?
jody, no power tour for you??? hows the car coming alone? any new pics?
jake

camcojb
(6/4/04 8:48 am)
Re: Pleasanton Tomorrow?
Not even close for mine. Have most of the parts here, but the car is being readied for paint right now. Then a final fitting before paint. I'm months away.

Jody
MY CARS

Stuart Adams
(6/4/04 10:19 am)
Reply We'll wait
Jody, the wait will be worth it!!

camcojb
(6/4/04 10:57 am)
Re: We'll wait
I hope you're right Stuart! And you would know, huh?!!!! At least you're only a month or so out with yours.

Jody
MY CARS

trapin
(6/4/04 11:30 am)
Re: We'll wait
Cool...if it's headed back to Detroit I can get a peak at it on my lunch hour. Wheel To Wheel is just down the road from the Tech Center.

Would you have any apprehensions about that Charley? I promise to keep a safe distance while drooling.
www.infamouscamaro.com
Man feed machine. Machine feed man.

Stuart Adams
(6/4/04 12:25 pm)
Reply Orange
Jody, that orange color in the picture of your car is fantastic. I love that color- that's funny, huh!!!

camcojb
(6/4/04 2:02 pm)
Re: Orange

Jody, that orange color in the picture of your car is fantastic. I love that color- that's funny, huh!!!

That is funny Stuart as orange was a color you were dead-set against (and I wasn't a huge fan of either). If I can get that exact color I'll go with it, but as of yet I haven't found it. That may make me jump back to my favorite color.......blue.

Jody
MY CARS

davidpozzi
(6/4/04 2:09 pm)
Jody, reminds me of McLaren orange!
David

streetfytr68
(6/4/04 2:44 pm)
Reply Re: Orange
Jody,
Jus' saw a brand new Audi TT yesterday on the road and I thought of you.

www.lateral-g.net

camcojb
(6/4/04 6:28 pm)
Thanks Steve and David, that gives me ideas. The closest thing I've found is in the pearls, but not too keen on doing that with this car, at least not the three stage stuff.

Jody
MY CARS

awr68
(6/4/04 6:41 pm)

the only negative thing i can see, is that it wans't done by steilow

yody if you read the whole thread, you will see that W2W did this build up with steilow

Come on guys at least you can spell Marks name right, it's Stielow.

I'm sorry, it's just one of those things....and I'm bored!!
Anthony
'68 PT Camaro

68Protouring454
(6/5/04 8:29 am)
hey thanks for the spell check anthony, my bad!! should have seen it in clills quote, if you look i mispell alot, me and the key board don't always agree, it was all yodys fault!!lol
jake

Ballistic69
(6/5/04 7:20 pm)
ezSupporter

Wasn't at the power tour today
The mule wasn't there today. i spoke to the people at Baer brakes and they said it was there Friday, but was having mechanical problems? It should be back tomorrow. i was disappointed that i didn't get to see it.

Kirt

camcojb
(6/5/04 7:55 pm)
Re: Wasn't at the power tour today
He had a solid roller lifter fail just a few minutes into the ride to the fairgrounds. Mark Stielow and Urban (flew in with the parts!) helped out and got it swapped but had another minor issue to work out. Charley went ahead and registered, and is planning on leaving in the morning with everyone else.

Jody
MY CARS

Nalarn
(6/6/04 2:26 am)
Reply I'd be..
While all these guys are fighting over who gets to sit shotgun, just want you to know i'd be happy to sit in the backseat .
BEAUTIFULL CAR!

camaroboy69
(6/7/04 6:13 am)
Re: I'd be..
ok that answers my question to why I havent seen any mule pics on the tour. Well i saw 1 pic.

ramz
Unregistered User
(6/7/04 5:26 pm)
Reply mule
i was standing at the tulsa stop when the mule pulled in,,,it went to the comp cams booth, i think,,,when the hood got popped,,,i could not believe the craftsmanship use to stick all that stuff into one little hole,,,and the heat from that damn thing burnt the hair off my head,,,no joke the heat could be felt from 10+ feet away,,,i don't think i want one now(i mean two),,but nice car

camcojb
(6/7/04 5:43 pm)
Re: mule
And his turbo's are water-cooled! Of course the exhaust temp is still about the same. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get the air out of the engine compartment on mine.

I'm also going to try the exhaust coatings and take my chances.

Jody
MY CARS

XcYZ
(6/7/04 5:57 pm)
Jody, since you're going to run an SS hood, you'll have to make the velocity stacks functional for air extraction from under the hood. But I'm sure you've already thought of that though.
Scott
My 69
Lateral-g.net

camcojb
(6/7/04 6:42 pm)
Actually I didn't, but that's a good idea Scott! Hadn't given it a lot of thought yet as I didn't think it was going to be a big deal. I do know the exhaust coatings (which the Mule does not have) drops temps a bunch. Also not running the rear cowl seal helps the air out also.

Jody
MY CARS

davidpozzi
(6/7/04 6:51 pm)
How do they keep the plug wires from frying???
David

Blown353
(6/8/04 9:14 pm)
Reply Re: Mule
Ate a lifter, eh? That really sucks, I hear it all too often lately.

Dare I ask if they used Comp Explode-X lifters?

With a motor of that caliber there are only 2 solid rollers I would consider using: Jesels and Isky Red Zones, in that order of preference.

Hope everything works out and no lifter debris frags the motor!

Troy
My Pro-Touring 1969 Chevelle - Procharged 353, GW Suspension, TKO 5-speed, Baers, and other stuff. FAST EFI and sheetmetal manifold on the way.

camcojb
(6/8/04 9:17 pm)
It's a solid roller Troy so it wouldn't be the famous "explode-X" lifters. LOL!!!!! And being that they're offset for the 18 degree heads, that's not a local parts store unit either!

Jody
MY CARS

Ballistic69
(6/9/04 6:51 am)
ezSupporter

I am going to leave the cowl opening on my car unsealed to vent the heat and coat the exhaust in an attempt to keep the temp down under the hood with my twin turbo set up.
I didn't get to see the Mule in Arlington unfortunately, apparently it was out for repair.

Kirt

camaroboy69
(6/9/04 6:59 am)
Dang, I hope it makes it tomorrow for the Chicago stop.
Adam
My Website 03-25-04

jon
Unregistered User
(6/9/04 7:18 am)
Reply x
if you leave off the cowl seal you'll get a lot of fumes in the cabin.been there.if you don't do freeway driving it will be ok.ask someone you trust.it's alittle like being stuck behind a bus all day.under hood is a high pressure area,your cowl vents are in a low pressure area.just that little seal keeping order.if you blow up you could suck in flames.

USAZR1
(6/9/04 11:21 am)
Reply Re: x
It was good meeting Charlie and Mark at the Tulsa stop. I was about 10-15 seconds behind the Mule after one fuel stop but despite running at 75-80mph for about 20 miles,we never did catch them.
FWIW,I sure am interested in a pair of hood latches like those on the Mule. Very trick!
Clint Hooper
Pro-Camino
Clint's 69 SS-427 El Camino protourer
Ultimate GT
Clint's 91 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1

camcojb
(6/9/04 11:23 am)
Re: x
Yeah, Charley said he was averaging 85-90 mph!

Jody
MY CARS

MarkM68
(6/9/04 12:02 pm)
Reply .
Clint, I saw your car in Springfield. I noticed the pro-touring.com sticker too.

Why didn't you have the big 365's on the car though?

clill
Unregistered User
(6/9/04 9:21 pm)
Reply Mule
Was fighting full pump overheating and spent a bunch of time under the car with ice. Pump is now changed and the voltage stepdown is reconnected to help save the pump. Did the first part of today with just freeway driving and got 20 mpg. The car loves to run 80-90. Power tour this year is one huge moving traffic jam so we are making our own route and so are many others.

camcojb
(6/9/04 9:25 pm)
Which pump are you running Charley? Wasn't it an Aeromotive?

Jody
MY CARS

clill
Unregistered User
(6/10/04 4:34 am)
Reply Mule
Aeromotive sized for 1100 hp turbo engine but we are crusin on pump gas at about 800 so it is bypassing alot of gas. Voltage stepdown should solve it.

Larry Callahan
Administrator
(6/10/04 6:41 am)
That worries me now. I am running the Aeromotive pump and won't have anywhere near the HP of the Mule. Hmmm.

https://www.pro-touring.com/larry/pump.jpg

https://www.pro-touring.com/larry/pump2.jpg

Larry Callahan

Edited by: Larry Callahan at: 6/10/04 6:45 am

derekf
08-20-2004, 03:34 AM
camcojb
(6/10/04 7:50 am)
Larry,

I ran the Aeromotive pump in my Cobra, the yellow car, my buddy's 700 rwhp 69, and I have another one for my new twin turbo. Never had an issue yet.

I have not used the one like yours though. The ones I've used have fins on the body and mount off four holes cast into the base, not with clamps like yours is.

Jody
MY CARS

Edited by: camcojb at: 6/10/04 7:51 am

B Schein
(6/10/04 8:04 am)
A friend of mine is run the same pump as Jody in his 64 Chevy II with a ls1 and has never had any problems with it over heating. He has had the car on the road for two years and drives it a lot.
Brian
My Car

parsonsj
(6/10/04 8:15 am)
Reply Fuel pump
I gots wunna dem pumps too.

Anybody got an opinion about how loud they are? Mine will be visible from the back of the car (it's even visible in my rendering ), so any noise it makes will be quite apparent.

jp

B Schein
(6/10/04 8:25 am)
Re: Fuel pump
John,The One on franks car Is noticeably loud when you turn the key on and don't start the car for a few seconds. His is mounted Right behind the rear bumper very close to where yours will be.
Brian
My Car

camcojb
(6/10/04 8:41 am)
Re: Fuel pump
I use the rubber bushing mounts for an MSD on mine. Quiets them down a lot. Barely noticeable when insulated like that.

Jody
MY CARS

USAZR1
(6/10/04 11:10 am)

Did the first part of today with just freeway driving and got 20 mpg. The car loves to run 80-90. Power tour this year is one huge moving traffic jam so we are making our own route and so are many others.

I'll bet the Chicago stop was really bad. It took us over an hour to move the last 1/4 mile into the park at Tulsa.
Clint Hooper
Pro-Camino
Ultimate GT

USAZR1
(6/10/04 11:20 am)

Clint, I saw your car in Springfield. I noticed the pro-touring.com sticker too.
Why didn't you have the big 365's on the car though?

Mark,I've been kicking the idea around about selling them and the 345 BFG's I have,to help pay for a Vintage Air FrontRunner or A/C system. Didn't want to mount the 365's up and run them until I make up my mind what I'm gonna do.
Clint Hooper
Pro-Camino
Ultimate GT

Jagarang
(6/11/04 5:32 am)
Reply Jody......
I found this while looking for a dash pad for my car......
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6420&item=2481252045&rd=1
I don't know how close it is to your "color" but I thought it was close enough to mention, and it has a black "bumblebee" stripe. The combo really works. Hope you can find just what your looking for for yours!

clill
Unregistered User
(6/11/04 5:55 am)
Reply pump
Jody..The pump in your pic with the fins is the same pump that I have on the Mule.

camcojb
(6/11/04 7:00 am)
Re: pump
Charley,

I was pretty sure it was. I've just never had to use any voltage step-downs or anything with that pump. Had one in the Cobra for a few years, plus the yellow car.

Stay dry!!!!!!!

Jody
MY CARS

Jagarang
(6/11/04 9:23 am)
Reply Confuseing post sorry
Jody check the ebay link in my prior reply. It's actually not a "dash pad" like it sounds. It a Firebird painted in a similar color combo that your looking for. The paint name is listed in the auction.

camcojb
(6/11/04 10:46 am)
Re: Confuseing post sorry
Thanks Jag, that is very close!

Jody
MY CARS

payton king
(6/11/04 10:53 am)
Reply fuel pump
I have the same A1000 fuel pump but mine is mounted inside the tank to keep it cool and cut down on the noise. I got the tank from Rick's Hot Rods. Very slick custom stainless piece. I will try and get some pics.

MarkM68
(6/11/04 11:30 am)
Re: fuel pump
Might as well make this even longer, .

Jody, did Comp stop making the Endur-X in solid version?

Comps Mustang used them,

www.popularhotrodding.com...hr_stable/ (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0210phr_stable/)
My Pro-Touring 68 camaro, 468, 700r-4
http://home.earthlink.net/~mutert23/

SHMOOV69
(6/11/04 6:07 pm)
Reply Hmm
I just looked in this topic for the first time too. Well, I am running the same A1000 pump that Jody has a pic of and have not had any trouble at all. Other than the fact that I need a better regulator. The Mallory can't keep up with the massive flow when I get under boost and it peggs the guage!(stops at 30spi) Can you say PIG RICH! The deal with the heat from the turbos is real! I had the HPC wonder coating put on the headers and downpipes and it has not helped out much. Other than the fact that it cools down a little quicker. I am actually amazed that the paint on my hood is still red and not a nice shade of brown! The EGT's running down the road at 80 (with 3.50 gears and no OD) is about 1400* and sometimes a little more! When you stop and idle, the temps get to about 1100-1200*. There is alot of tubing there to get hot and stay hot, and all up high in the engine compartment with no way to get out. The temps were climbing trying to get into Tulsa (about 235*) and while pulling in (idling) I popped the hood and the temps dropped within minutes to about 225*. So you MUST have a good fan and radiatior. I also toasted a power steering hose and had to change that, I wrapped it with aluminum tape and spark plug wire sheilding this time to keep it from hapening again. The plug wires are an issue too if there is a "stagnant" place in the engine compartment. I have spontaniously combusted (litterlay) 2 wires 2 different times and am constantly having problems with them. I am now running the MSD wonder wires that have the heat sheilding on the whole thing with the huge sheilding on top of that on the lower 8" of the wire with the metal sheilded boots. They seem to be working the best of all I have tried. Turbo's are not just a "plug and play"!
Jimmy

Stuart Adams
(6/11/04 7:41 pm)
Reply Heat!!
Wow, I thought AZ was hot!! I also was wondering about the hood heat doing something to the paint over time. You would think all that heat would decrease the life of most of the underhood parts in general.