PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

trapin
02-04-2005, 08:19 AM
So I've been debating lately what color to paint my car and I'm coming down to the wire because I'm almost ready to put color on my undercarriage. The plan is to get color on it and then bolt the rear suspension back up to it to start work on the firewall. I'm at a cross-roads, I gotta pick a color. Several ideas have crossed my way. Viper Steel Grey, Viper Blue, Black. One that I've been giving a great deal of thought to lately is a color I know would give me a bit of originality in the Pro-Touring scene because no one has done it yet....Corvette Bronze. Ironically (or maybe not) this is the color my car came in from the factory. You don't see it all that often and when done right is (in my opinion) a very attractive color. Let's face it....there's about a thousand grey and black cars out there and Viper Blue has already found it's way onto several Pro-Touring cars as it is.

Right now it's neck and neck between an all black car or a Corvette Bronze one with black Z-28 stripes. Below is a picture of a '68 done in Corvette Bronze with the SS stripe (which my car also came with). I know some of you will be tempted to say, "do whatever you want...it's your car". And I appreciate that...but I'm looking for honest, unbiased opinions. Speak your mind, I'm anxious to hear it. I know that I will ultimately decide this for myself and I'm not suggesting I need my hand held in this matter, I'm just interested to hear what other people's takes are. Thanks.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Rick Dorion
02-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, I'll chime in. I like it. Given all the paint schemes done, I'm considering going with my original color - LeMans blue.

apex69
02-04-2005, 08:33 AM
I would agree with you Tony, that color is attractive. Live with it for a couple of weeks. Print out a color photo and keep it with you. Look at it, examine it, study the color, envision you car with this color on it. Know that you will have to love the color as much as you have loved the time spent in your efforts to build the car.

You originally were looking at black weren’t you? How long have you been considering this color? Anyway, it would fill the color void in the vast array of color choices. Would I do a car in this color…Yes.

astroracer
02-04-2005, 08:51 AM
I like the bronze also... You could do some experimenting with pearls and undercoats to change it from a totally stock color if you wanted too.
Mark

Flight396
02-04-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't know, that pic of the camaro in that bronze kinda looks like a really big penny. But, with the contrast of the black strips and some bigger wheels may offset the color. It would be definatly be something different. I dont think I've ever seen a car in that color, ever....lol. Goodluck.

JohnnyGMachine
02-04-2005, 09:36 AM
I like the Corvette Bronze. Just a thought, but maybe you could have the place that's gonna mix your paint slightly alter the color too - maybe make up your own color and give it a unique name...Bronzefire! I don't know maybe something like that. Pick up a house of colors book too and look at all the Kandy colors. There's lots to pick from. Another Idea is going to car dealerships, lots of times they have displays of large color chips right out on the dealer floor.

sunkistcamaro
02-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I like the bronze but really think you should Photoshop your rims in and drop it to get the full picture.

Drewhelm
02-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I think a custom Bronze color is in order.....something a little more copper colored maybe. Kinda like a cross between the vette bronze and the color used on Copperhead on Trucks.

JamesJ
02-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Since your car came with that color I think that makes it even better, more originality.

bnoon
02-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I think the factory Corvette bronze color is a bit... well... fairy. It needs to be quite a bit darker before I like bronze colors.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Tony,

I'd go with the a bronze color. It looks like a few people have voted for alterations to the color (vette bronze), so here's my suggestion. Paint your car either Sunset Orange Metallic (SOM) or the newer version that is found on the '05 Vettes. I believe it's called Daytona Orange Metallic (DOM?). Ironically enough, I saw a vette with this color in a parking lot yesterday, and I really liked it. I also saw an '02 SS that was SOM and I absolutely love that color more and more every time I see it.

MuscleRodz
02-04-2005, 02:33 PM
The bronze is kinda nice and definitley different. I think I would go stock or alter it a little bit to set it off even more. I definitely would not go more orange.

Mike

Steve Chryssos
02-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Corvette Bronze. It's gotta be! Do it!!

MickyT
02-04-2005, 03:04 PM
I had a 70 Vette in this color. I really debated when I was going to repaint, decided to go bronze again and was real glad I did. Its unique, understated and presents very well. Go for it!!

wickedmotorhead
02-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Corvette Bronze!! Will look sweet with drop and nice set of feet.

bnickel
02-04-2005, 03:26 PM
i like the bronze as well, but i personally would do a different color than black on the stripes, do another earthy tone like maybe that viper gray you wer talking about or some other kind of gray that is a little "browner"

Andrew McBride
02-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Tony,

"Do whatever you want it's your car" (j/k)
To be honest: I like the Corvette Bronze color just because it will seperate your PT car from everyone else's, and not too mention it will look great. Of course I believe black is the best looking color-when it is clean ( which is pretty much never). I agree, the silvers and grays are being used way too much. It sounds like you want your car to be different from the others out there, so I say go for it. Since your car is a family heirloom; how awesome would that be to keep it looking just like the old days, but with the new age suspension and style of wheels. That to me is what would seperate your car from the others and not to mention make a great article for a magazine one day. Good luck,

Andrew

Bill Howell
02-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Tony,
I guess after reading everyone's post that I am swimming upstream here. I faced the same paint color on a elcamino a few years back and convinced myself to go for it because it was different. Well, I hated it after about a month because it was too close to brown for me. I ended up selling a great ride just because of the color. So being brutually honest with you, I do not like it. It is unusual but there is a reason not many pick it as a color. Go look at the new Corvette colors this year, then tell me if you were spending $50,000 on a new one with all the different choices, you would actually buy one that color. If you say yes then problem solved, but if you are still questioning it, paint the car black.
But then everything I own at the moment is black,silver or red so what do I know?

Bill

DJ Mabe
02-04-2005, 04:27 PM
I like the bronze. If you are planning on driving the car, black will not hold up as well as this color. Good luck, picking a color is almost as hard as picking a set of wheels. Have you done that yet?

trapin
02-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Wow....thanks for the responses guys. I am surprised it got so much support, I was really prepared to see it slammed but boy was I wrong. My only reservation about the color is that it is hard to nail down. There are about 100 different variations of it due to different mixings, some of them come out too bronze and end up looking (as it was stated above) like a giant penny. The color in that picture has a bit more of an orange hue to it, which is how my car looked originally. That's really all I'd be worried about is the color not being mixed right, which is why altering it sounds like a good idea. And I don't trust my body work or painting skills enough to do black, besides it does seem like black cars are never clean. I will also check out some of those new colors that Ralph suggested.

Here is an example of Corvette Bronze gone wrong....yuck! (http://www.cookiescorvettes.com/classics/68camaross.html)

Thanks again guys...I really appreciate the input.

Fuelie Fan
02-04-2005, 08:38 PM
That's crazy how much different those two cars look, even with the "same" color"

I like the color of the first car you posted. THen again, I'm kind of on an OE color kick right now, I want to return my camaro to the original seafrost green.

THe only thing I'm afraid of is exactly what I said, is it really just a "kick", a phase? I've liked it for longer than the one month rule, but that's not five years.

zbugger
02-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Pee on it, and what ever color it is when it dries, go with it..... Ok, no. Don't do that. The Covette Bronze looks very original. I say go with it. Just make sure that it's done right.

MuscleRodz
02-05-2005, 08:39 AM
For some reason last night while driving around town, I saw two late 4th gens with almost that same copper or bronze on it. It was a very nice color. I think it is one that grows on you the longer you look at it.

Mike

Steve1968LS2
02-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Actually Bronze body color with a silver or better yet pewter accent stripe would look VERY good and be original.

Anyways, that's my vote for what it's worth :)

BRIAN
02-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I think the 2nd pic is more close to what a real Corvette Bronze looks like. If you talk to paint supplier you will realize that when mixing a color using factory numbers it gets pretty close and will not drastically change unless the guy mixing actually screws up. I hope you are not using pics to judge as that is why you are seeing so many shades. It is not as orange as in 1st picture. I would do spray out on fender to make sure you like it. There will be some shade variance with the newer materials but the factory Vette color is a darker copper brown color like the 2nd picture. Also note the first is in light and the 2nd in shade. There is no way to judge a color from a photo or old door jamb. Spray a fender the $50 will be well spent.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-05-2005, 04:25 PM
For some reason last night while driving around town, I saw two late 4th gens with almost that same copper or bronze on it. It was a very nice color. I think it is one that grows on you the longer you look at it.

Mike

The 4th gen color is called Sunset Orange Metallic. It's very similar to the corvette bronze. IMHO, it's probably the nicest color that was available on 4th gens. SOM looks amazing in the sun.

socalfandabodys
02-05-2005, 04:31 PM
the new box scions also come in a orange bronze type color go check it out. I have seen two around my town. The color is just a tad browner than som

gen3bu
02-05-2005, 06:46 PM
go for it! be original. make the statement that most people think about and go for something more main stream. we are all about making a staement and personalizing our cars. just do it. btw - basf has some interesting candy colors that you might like too.

Al Moreno
02-07-2005, 05:26 AM
I was at GNRS and came across and all out Pro-Touring Camaro. The car was channelled, engine set back in to the fire wall, full frame, 3 link rear, C4 fornt supension, full leather interior, etc,etc..... If I'm not mistaken, the color is the same or simular to the corvettes.

I took a bunch of pics but have no idea on who to inculed them with this message.

Martin71RS
02-07-2005, 07:25 AM
How about this:

Opel Astra Coupe Bertone (2000 model I think)
Capri Yellow

see pics.....

I really love it and have been thinking to paint mine like this... but I will stick to silvergrey myself....

I think your car would look great with this color....a lot better the the copper...too much brown in it...with the yellow it will stand out more.

Martin.

trapin
02-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Al...send them to me, I'll post them. [email protected]

I have asked this question over at camaros.net and someone gave me the name of a guy to contact that could help me get the correct color. When I e-mailed him, the guy had the audacity to ask me for money or parts in exchange for the info. Interesting how the guy can ask money for something that 'technically' is not his. I believe General Motors owns the rights to Corvette Bronze, not this ding-bat. Amazing how many a%&*holes there are in this world.

Anyway....it has occured to me that the original color does still exist on the factory hood I have sitting next to my garage outside. It is covered in a couple of coats of 'spray can' primer but I think if I use a fine grit sand paper I can slowly sand down to the Corvette Bronze, buff it out and then cut off a swatch with my die grinder. Those old standard hoods aren't worth anything anyways.

Rick Dorion
02-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Cut the section out of the center in case you ever need a flat hood for a blower install!

trapin
02-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Well....I think I'm all set. I went and did just what I said I was going to and it appears to have worked.

http://www.infamouscamaro.com/Camaro53.JPG

Al Moreno
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I sent the pics, let me know if you got them.

trapin
02-07-2005, 05:26 PM
It's been several hours Al....haven't got em yet.

Al Moreno
02-08-2005, 06:54 AM
I will send them in multiple e-mail since the pictures are in 6MP. E-mail might be to big.

JayBird
02-08-2005, 07:31 AM
I agree with Bill. I like the Corvette Bronze, but how would I like it after a couple months etc. Would I buy a new vette with this color? No. I would go traditional blue, red, black. Personally I thinks it a color fad that car manufacturers go through on colora. Remember the mid 90's Honda Teal and now the Copper color found on Honda Element's and Dodge PT Cruisers. Nice colors, but to me a fad color. My car is originally olympic gold and there is no way it will go back that color. I'm going Viper Red (even though everyother camaro and street rod is red). I like the color and dont care how many other cars are viper red. I SAY PAINT IT BLACK! However as you know, its your decision, $$$ and you have to live with it. My two cents

Al Moreno
02-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Tony you had gotten this time, I sent a total of 5 e-mail and they all went through.

Let me know.

Al Moreno
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
By the way, I thought the car was killer but, in stepping back and looking at it from far away, I would agree with JayBird and Bill. I would have like it meant more business in a traditional color. I like silver with charcoal gray strips or Black with silver strips.

However as you know, its your decision, $$$ and you have to live with it. My two cents

Ricoch3T
02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
I saw a car done with a bronze color one time, might have been a little darker than your picture, but its hard to tell.. Anyhow it was bronze with black stripes up the hood. That car looked AWESOME! I'm not a big fan of bronze but like i said this car was flawless when I saw it. Wished it was mine :jump:

HILROD
02-08-2005, 05:44 PM
My 68 was also Corvette Bronze. I just bit the bullet and bought some Sunfire Orange basecoat and I am amazed at how close it is to the few spots of original paint. As soon as I get a little farther along I'll do a test panel to see the finished color. :bananna2: FRANK

trapin
02-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Frank....do you have any pics you can share?

Who makes Sunfire Orange?

HILROD
02-09-2005, 07:45 PM
IT IS THE 2001-2002 Camaro color. I bought some of the darker bronze color used on the older cavaliers and corsicas but when I sprayed it out it was way to dark. I haven't sprayed this yet but as soon as I do I could send you a sample. FRANK

HILROD
02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I tried to take pics but they don't look right. As close as I can explain is my car was the more silver orange color. The gone wrong version. The sunfir color har less silver tone making it a shade or two darker. Exactly what I am looking for. It looks like your hood where it is wet but maybe a little more so if that makes sense. FRANK

Piet
02-11-2005, 08:16 AM
:pics2:

Conekiller13
02-11-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm partial to black. However I like to be different also. A unique color is a good thing unless it's unique because no one likes it. A custome blend of that color would be coolest :smoke: .

Milow68
02-11-2005, 08:51 AM
I got one question for Tony? Are you having a vinyl top or no vinyl top? I do like the bronze. I am a big fan of being a little different on the colors. Going back to an original style color is a good thing too.
I had a 72 442 in saturn gold and everybody told me not to paint it that color because I planned on selling it. It turned out great and sold because it was different! :smoke:
I would say do some test panels in different shades if you are worried about the mix! I think you got a big test panel (hint hint flat hood) that you could spray out a few different shades side by side.
Have fun and don't forget you are the one that has to live with it. :1st:
Brad

DJ Mabe
02-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I was told that this was Sunfire Orange. I am not for certain and didn't hear it from the owner but one of the crew members. BTW this car runs mid 7's on a 10.5W tire and it's driven by a lady! It's one of the most beautiful race cars I've ever seen. Love the color.

BRIAN
02-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Just to help you out the 68 PPG code is 22969 the 70 PPG code is 2264? I have some old books. By the way in I think 70 or 71 there was also a version for the Camaro and Chevelle. If you like that color also check out what is called by AMC Bittersweet Orange from I believe 1968 -1970. As for the newer color Sunset Orange there are a few different codes also. Just alone in the 2005 PPG books there is Sunset Orange 5677 and then there is Sunset Orange Mica 906328 the later is much lighter. The point I am getting at is buy a pint and spray it out and clear it. You will regret it otherwise. That paint under your hood is laquer and may not even be cleared. The newer version in a modern base coat clear coat with newer flake or pearl will differ but should be close from supplier to supplier if they are mixing properly.Good Luck

HILROD
02-11-2005, 08:45 PM
O.K. I haven't figured out how to post pics but I did upload some pics to my VB Garage. Pic one is the color I have as close as I have seen in a picture. Sunset Orange Metalic. The second pic is very close to what my car was new. :postpics: FRANK

trapin
02-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Milow68....no, there will be no vinyl top going on this car. It did come with one however.

HILROD....the color in that first picture I am in love with. It's killer. Who's car is that? You say it's called 'Sunset Orange Metallic' or it's 'Sunfire Orange'? This is indeed from the 2001-2002 Camaro? If that's so, I'll head up to the paint store tomorrow to look at some samples.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help. I will most definitely spray and clear a test coat on my old hood to make sure I like it.

HILROD
02-12-2005, 05:37 AM
The WA number is 71U Sunset Orange Metallic. The color is used on 2001 2002 Camaros and Firebirds. I don't remember where I got that picture but that is the color. It'll look better I think with the chrome and black accents! :bananna2: :kewlpics: FRANK

Steve Chryssos
02-12-2005, 06:40 AM

trapin
02-12-2005, 08:02 AM
That's it.....that's the color. I love it.

Thanks again.

woodman13
02-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Bronze looks awsome on that car, but just about any color would look good on that car......

Ralph LoGrasso
02-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Tony,

Check out Daytona Orange Metallic as well (DOM). It's a little bit darker than SOM from what I can tell. It's offered on the C6 Vettes.

RedAddiction
02-12-2005, 07:01 PM

Which color is this one ?

MuscleRodz
02-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Anybody know who's this isand the specs on it? It is awesome looking Camaro.

Mike

JamesD
02-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Anybody know who's this isand the specs on it? It is awesome looking Camaro.

Mike

yeah i'd love to see more pics/info on that camaro