PDA

View Full Version : watts link set-up

quadfather
02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
just wondering what everyones opinion was on watts link mounting. i have seen set-ups with the pivot on the rear end ,and others with the pivot on the chassis. is there any avantage to either, if packaging were not an issue.? also what height would be ideal for a base-line ,or should i build adjustable mounts for both the pivots and ends?

quadfather
02-04-2005, 03:29 PM
come on guys help!

zbugger
02-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Have you done a search on it? I know it's been mentioned a few times before. I'd help if I knew. Sorry.

quadfather
02-05-2005, 05:12 AM
yes i tried that but didn't really find any answers reguarding mounting or dimensions. hopefully someone does. thanks.

Mean 69
02-05-2005, 10:58 AM
To answer the first question, in theory, a fixed bellcrank relative to the chassis is preferable for most applications. In this configuration, the roll moment (which is the distance between the roll center height and effective center of gravity) is fixed. With the other configuration of the bellcrank being affixed to the differnetial, the roll center will move as a function of suspension travel, and the roll moment then becomes a variable. You've got enough variables to deal with, one more is not necessarily something you want to chase around. That said, both configurations work really well, you probably can't go wrong with either in practice. The type of rear suspension you use can sway one way or the other (for instance, a differential mounted bellcrank is the way to go to supplement a leaf sprung car, IMO).

To the second point, well, that is a pretty open ended question in that where you place the roll center really depends upon the rest of the suspension configuration. One way to work "around" the uncertaintly is to make it adjustable so you can use it as tuning tool. Be wary of anyone that proclaims they know exactly where the device should be located, like everything, it really "depends."

There is a great amount on info on this, and other forums regarding this, you can find it using the search functins with certain key words. Looks in the archive suspension posts, there is a ton of outstanding discussion there.

Mark

quadfather
02-05-2005, 01:20 PM
thanks mean 69 that was what i was wondering .the car will be a 3 link so i guess i'll mount the pivot on the chassis and give it some adj. and the other end will be centered on the axle tubes.

Opentracker
02-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I made my own Watts link with a chassis mounted pivot. Though it is on a pig of a early Mustang, I am willing to help if you decide to go that rout. I have more photos. This car is getting custom built rear leaf springs, Koni's, rear brake coolers, full tail pipes and an adjustable rear sway bar.

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2004_0715wattsmock0008.jpg

John

69injun
02-06-2005, 04:12 AM
John could you send me some more pics of you setup. I am thinking of going with a 3link in my firebird with a watts link. Your setup looks very cool.
[email protected]

Thanks.