PDA

View Full Version : Firstpost! New guy and new car.....

orphancars
02-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Hello fellow sufferers!

I'm new to the list here -- just found it while searching for info on my next car project.....

But a little about me. Guess I'm a typical car guy -- I subscribe to the ethic, "If I had all the money I spent on cars...........I'd spend it all on cars!" :)

Showing my current and first car project. Yeah, started out as as Fiero, still looks like a Fiero, but hopefully it all stops right there! Partial list of changes includes tubular front/rear suspension, coilovers at all corners, 12" Vette brake swap, limited slip differential. Oh yeah, and a 350 SBC topped with a TPIS intake! Just got it insured and ready for the street and done a few "test miles" around the block! So far, so good. Plans are to get the emissions inspection and re-licensing done in the next weeks and then start driving the thing!
Will also be using the car for local autocross events as well.

Here are a few pics of the car -- looking forward to meeting y'all on the forum!

-jeff d

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

qwik1320
02-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Welcome! Nice car (and nice garage too!)

Restomod
02-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Welcome! I always liked Fiero's ,been seeing a lot of the supercharged 3.8's in them lately. Hows yours feel so far?

Ralph LoGrasso
02-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the site, Jeff. Bitchin' Fiero!!

derekf
02-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Sweet ride, Jeff. Welcome to the site!

ViperBlue68
02-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Jeff,
Car looks sweet!! Motor Swap looks very clean...bet its a blast to drive! :bananna2:

orphancars
02-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome so far folks :)

......and thanks for the atypical Fiero reception! From the uninformed, I do get my share of "whut? Din't those catch fire a lot??" kind of comments. It's not a bad car and one that I'm surprised didn't get a lot more attention as a possible pro-touring platform. Parts aren't widely available to upgrade the suspension, but they are out there. And as the engine bay pic shows -- there is more than enough room out back to swallow up a V8! I even managed to do a retorque of all the head bolts after the engine was in the car! It really looks like a larger engine was planned for.

So far it's been great to drive......though I've only had it on the road in front of my house for test -n- tune drives. Got the insurance on it this week, then need to do a few things before I take it over for it's emissions inspection and re-licensing (it's been off the street for 7 years). More than enough power in any gear -- just push down on the loud pedal and it just goes forward.......fast! No squeal or spin, it just keeps going!

I am glad I upgraded the brakes though https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Getting to a chassis dyno is one of the things I really want to do. According to the folks at TPIS, using their intake/cam/chip on this motor, they estimate 380 HP. I know this for certain -- doesn't feel like the stock 2.8L V6 that used to be back there.

More reports as I get it out on the road.....

-jeff d

LowBuckX
02-03-2005, 09:22 PM
looks great Id drive it... but my thoughs would be constantly on the tranny/ transaxle... What kind of power can it take?

orphancars
02-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Shawn -- it's got the factory Getrag 5 speed transaxle, but upgraded w/ a Torsen LSD. Figuring the LSD will give the torque two paths out of the transaxle instead of one :)

Admittedly, torque is/can be an issue......it's why I decided _not_ to build a 383 stroker motor and instead built a motor that can rev to 6500+.

Hopefully, the weak link will be the Centerforce clutch :) Hoping that will slip/break before the transaxle is destroyed.

I'm hoping that the engineers did do a 3x safety factor when they designed the transaxle!

I plan on not doing 5000 RPM dumps continually -- want to get the trans in gear then pound on it! Time will tell if this was a good thing to do. Know of other folks out there with similar drivetrains, so I'm not totally travelling new ground.

Good point -- I'm hoping things last, too!

-jeff d

Piet
02-04-2005, 07:39 AM
IMHO, it was a mistake to drop the Fiero platform. They handled very well.

Welcome Jeff!

nitrovette
02-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Yeah i used to love our old fiero,i wanted to drop a small block in ours,but ended up divorced before i could.You got a sweet car,nice job.

bnoon
02-04-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't care for the color combo or wheel choice, but that is still one hell of a car! There's a guy in town here with a 406 in his '86 Fiero GT that has a better power to weight ratio than almost any supercar. He ran against a GSXR 1100 and a ZX11 on a highway out here and beat them both to 150+ MPH!!! I know, because I was on the GSXR!!!!

BTW, you need to find some better looking exhaust tips. The forth gen Camaro SS reproduction tips (the rectangle ones) would look awsome in there!

orphancars
02-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Bnoon - I was trying to go for the stealthy look with the paint scheme -- you don't think it'll work? :evil:

I wanted something simple and yet different.......decided on the paint scheme a few years ago. Fast forward to today and it seems that yellow is the popular color (along with metallic orange!)

You also hit on something with the exhaust tips! Want to change them, and I'd also like to get the rectangular Camaro tips out back. Only thing is that the off the shelf ones have the outlet centered in the tip, and I had to move the tailpipes to the outer edge of the openings in the fascia to get the flowmasters and the cats all packaged in there. Yet more fabrication! BTW -- it is a true dual exhaust out back -- dual cats/dual mufflers!

Was that 406 a smallblock?

thx!

-jeff d

68BNUT
02-04-2005, 12:06 PM
That thing looks great cant wait to see it around town!!!!!!

bnoon
02-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Bnoon - I was trying to go for the stealthy look with the paint scheme -- you don't think it'll work? :evil:

I wanted something simple and yet different.......decided on the paint scheme a few years ago. Fast forward to today and it seems that yellow is the popular color (along with metallic orange!)

You also hit on something with the exhaust tips! Want to change them, and I'd also like to get the rectangular Camaro tips out back. Only thing is that the off the shelf ones have the outlet centered in the tip, and I had to move the tailpipes to the outer edge of the openings in the fascia to get the flowmasters and the cats all packaged in there. Yet more fabrication! BTW -- it is a true dual exhaust out back -- dual cats/dual mufflers!

Was that 406 a smallblock?

thx!

-jeff d

There was a place that had offset rectangle tips that resembled fourth gen tips. I'll see if I can find them.

The yellow might be stealth if you're driving through a field of daisys, but outside of that I think you failed the stealth look! LOL!

Yes, the 406 was a small block with 6" rods, aluminum heads, and some type of circle track intake for high RPM breathing. He had a small hood scoop on to clear his air filter because the intake stuck it up so high... It also lowered the low RPM torque enough that the stock running gear survived...

Matt
02-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Welcome!
I always liked fieros too, it's nice to see one in good shape with a proper powerplant as opposed to the ones I see daily in disrepair. I'm not sure if it's the yellow but it reminds me of a Lotus.

orphancars
02-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks bnoon! PM me if you find out or remember where those exhaust tips come from.......and I'd'a thought that 406 would be a torque motor -- that's why I stayed away from putting a 383 in mine.........figured the transaxle wouldn't have lasted very long.

Matt -- thanks! Yeah, maybe I too see a bit of Lotus in there....always thought the GT's looked like little baby Ferrari's when they first came out.

68BNut - PM me if there are any good car shows/meets that happen on the weekends........the weather is finally looking up!

Thanks all -- more later,

-jeff d

skeevay
02-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Nicest Fiero I've seen. Looks to be a wickedly fun little car. Nice job!

Skip

MoeBawlz
02-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Nice Fiero... I live right by V8 Archie so i see a lot of his crazy cars out at local shows and stuff.

Zefhix
02-06-2005, 11:33 AM

-jeff d

Oh, you mean like these (http://216.178.81.107/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=EVT37%20%20%20%20%20%%20% 20%20%20%201?comp=ppe)? I only know because these are the ones we're using :)
Very cool car. I like the wheel/color/stripe choice..... :cool:

orphancars
02-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys!!

MoeBawlz -- Yup -- talked to Archie before attempting the conversion -- he's an interesting character! :) Heard he's moving his shop -- are you in the Barrington area? I used to live near there (Cary/FRG) about 10 years ago....

Zefhix -- That's it!!!!! https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/images/smilies/headbang.gif Thanks for the link. Just have to go out in the garage to check if that will fit........not sure if I have 11" of space back there, but the pipe diameter is right! Want to make sure that they fit just inside the notch in the rear bumper cover and aren't sticking out way past the backend of the car. Nice not r!ce.....

Just got back in from outside. Done for the weekend. Just started setting up the Fiero and the garage to do an alignment. Got ready to start adjusting the toe out back and had my small jack finally blow a seal :( It's either replace the seals or just get a new one......Probably just get a new one after work tomorrow..

Also spent a bunch of time working on the next project car. It's a '73 TVR 2500M. Think classic British engineering with a twist. Tube frame, fiberglass body, 1 pc tilt front end, but mechanicals from MG, Triumph, and other British marques unknown! I think I settled on a design for the front suspension that will be acceptable -- still working on a replacement for the factory IRS (thinking about Vette C3 IRS), and I think it'll be powered by a Ford smallblock with a Quality Roadsters EFI system. Shooting for a 1900 pound car with 350 HP.

At least no Lucas electrics anymore -- I cut out and threw away the wiring when I was taking the car down to the frame. I'll give away the gauges to someone more sentimental about British electronics than I am :)

Pics for the TVR coming next weekend in a separate post. That is significantly more in disarray than the Fiero -- it really just looks like a bunch of parts liberally distributed about my shop.

More later -- time for a little relaxation and an adult beverage or two....

-jeff "what is this Super Bowl thing? d

MoeBawlz
02-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I live in Palatine, no more than 10 minutes from Barrington and 15 from his shop. His shop isnt all that big, but its JAMMED with Fieros... Almost NO room to move in there. They have some interesting body kits out now. And do you know where they are moving to? I didnt know that they were even planning to do so. I havnt been there in a while.

Restomod
02-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I think the new Pontiac Gran Prix square aluminum tips would be cool and they are centered over the pipe I think.
YEP! just found these...cant beat the price!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7951904174&category=33633

bnoon
02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I think the new Pontiac Gran Prix square aluminum tips would be cool and they are centered over the pipe I think.
YEP! just found these...cant beat the price!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7951904174&category=33633

He needs the offset inlets, as he mentioned here:

The stock rectangle Camaro tips are offset, but both sides are offset to the left so can't be used. The ones restomod posted can't be used... Here's a set with left/right though... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33633&item=7952203625&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW I just can't find the L/R versions of the Camaro Lt1/LS1 rectangle tips though...

Restomod
02-07-2005, 05:34 PM
My bad read it wrong...

Steve1968LS2
02-07-2005, 06:02 PM
NICE CAR!! Must be a blast.. what does that thing weigh???

The best part is all the weight is right over the back wheels.. nice job!

Oh, and welcome to the site :)

orphancars
02-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Steve1969LS1 -- Thanks for the welcome :) Haven't had the chance to get the car over to my friend's house where the scales live, but I think/hope that the car should be between 2500 (wish!) to 2700 (probably) pounds. Really want to see what the weight distribution is...

Know a friend of mine that did a LT1 swap on his 88 Fiero -- his weight gain was only 10 pounds going from the factory 2.8 V6 to the V8.

-jeff d