PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from a land far far away

Pengvisor
04-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Long time reader, first time poster. I want to say hello to all you crazy pro-touring fans. This forum is amazing, filled with great info on building those cars. My name is Pawel Krzeminski, living in Poland. I'm a huge fan of real American muscle. I had few of them, 1979 Trans Am, 1982 TA, and 94 LT1 Z28. All sold at the moment. Now I'm gathering resources to do what I've always wanted. To make a pro-touring 1st gen camaro. Still long way ahead of me. If everything goes according to my plan i want to start in spring/summer 2009 with a base car.
The idea is to do it 100% in US since this is the place where people really know the stuff, and I value that quality.
My real question to you guys - since I cant get all the info, and there are people on this board that did it many times, will i squeeze the whole project in $50K in parts and assemble + the base car. Some basic info - the idea is to put 572 ( or 502 if it will kill my budget ) with Fuel Injection, put compeltelly new suspension, Ford 9" and good tranny that will handle those 600+ hp

I know this might sound weird. Some guy barging onto you're forum, trow some ideas and questions like crazy on his first post. One got to start somewhere. This is the best place to start talking about my project since my local fbody club got no clue about those kind of projects.

thanks in advance
Pawel Krzeminski

neki67
04-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Welcome Pawel.

What about buying a complete PT car? I've seen some killer deals for that price.

René
Holland

Pengvisor
04-09-2008, 03:16 AM
HI René,

One way or the other I will have to buy one, maybe some project that is not finished but the core job is already done, I don't know what will hurt the budget more - getting stock camaro in decent shape and rip it apart - put all new things in it. Or hunt for some pro-touring ( even with 350 ) then just switch tranny/engine for BB with some minor suspension and chassis mods. Main things that the final car should have.

- tuxedo stripes white on black - like http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3915/68z1.jpg ( this is the easiest part.

- 502 or 572 fuel injected - since its gonna be driven quite often in summer. I don't want any trailer queen. I dont want it to overheat in traffic etc.

- 3 point cage ( not sure about that )

but... 572 long block is 13K alone - I would have to salvage and get at least some $$$ back from the old engine then.

I can evaluate the price on big parts but for 1 big there is like 100 small that I dont even know I need + I have no clue regarding manhour in a shop and price for such project.

70bird
04-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Welcome to the site Pawel!
Yeah, 50K would get you a finished car here. You would spend at least that much building a high end PT car, but would have the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself. That's a great sense of accomplishment, and you will know exactly what was done to the car.

That said, after reading the posts on this forum from other folks in Europe, I understand that parts are much more difficult to come by, and shipping costs over-seas are high.
It may be more cost effective to find a project car here that has had much of the work done, (mechanically) and finish it yourself.

With our economy taking a nose dive here, I think you may find that you could buy someones unfinished project for pennies on the dollar. Even when you figure in shipping cost, you may still be way ahead compared to having to buy all the parts you will need.
Good luck

BTW, Off topic here but, I am 3rd generation Polish/American. My grandparents immigrated here in 1909 through Ellis island (New York)
I am in the process of recording our family history.
Have you ever heard of, or know of the last name Szychulda?
Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

neki67
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
That said, after reading the posts on this forum from other folks in Europe, I understand that parts are much more difficult to come by, and shipping costs over-seas are high.
It may be more cost effective to find a project car here that has had much of the work done, (mechanically) and finish it yourself.

My thoughts exactly, with the emphasis on the cost effective side of things. Believe me Pawel, you will pay way more when you want to do it all yourself and it will also consume a whole lot of time.

Don't forget you also have to pay for transport, import duties and sales tax. If things work approx. the same as here in the Netherlands you'll be paying the price in Euro's by the time you're done with the above. That means your turn key 572 will cost you 20-25k $ by the time you have it in front of you in Poland, which is about half your budget.

Now there are some ways of paying a bit less duties :smoke:, but you will be taking a risk. I'm no stranger to taking risks but also accept it when I get hurt . . . . . I'm into US (vintage) cars, as a hobby, since 1985 and gained more than I got hurt, but I would still recommend you to buy a car over there as complete as possible. Even then it will be timeconsuming but at least you will have (had) the joy of driving it.

Oh, almost forgot; yes it gives a whole lot of satisfaction when you did it all yourself!

Pengvisor
04-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes this is true -I have to add around 50-60% to the base price in US for every part I bring into EU. That's why I want to grab more or less finished project and finish it in US. I'm not a rookie with cars but I cant call myself a good mechanic, that's why I will look for a shop that can work on this project from start to finish. Depending on the completion level of the car i will get, from chassis work, suspension, some body modification, 3 point cage, new seat, engine, tranny, rearend, and paint. Maybe I will get lucky and find some decent ride next spring that will require just a bit of work.

Speaking of workshops - I am trying to evaluate my options, and since I'm not familiar with shops that specialize in such things - can you throw some links to such shops.

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-11-2008, 05:57 AM
dude.. 50K you can buy a whole NICE car for that.

The Rook
04-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Pawel,
Welcome to the site. I've been to Poland 10 times in the last three years. I spend most the days in Tychy/Katowice and as many nights as possible in Krakov. If only you had joined sooner, I could have delivered an entire car in pieces by now.

Pengvisor
04-11-2008, 11:36 PM
heh The Rook - nice, Krakov is the most attractive city in Poland for turists, so you were lucky to see hit it there.
70bird - I'm afraid I cant help you, don't know anyone with name Szychulda.

So now its time to squeeze those $$$ into my piggybank and save for that project. Its gonna be a loooong year of saving.

64Chevelle
04-12-2008, 06:08 AM
I also considered for/against selling my quite original Chevelle and buy a completed pro-touring car from the US (I'm in Norway). A very nice $25,000 2nd gen camaro, well balanced and well built. Nice paint too. But I finally decided to keep my Chevelle and build it myself, for 2 reasons... The satisfaction of doing it myself and that it was the only way I could get exactly what I wanted in the car.

Whatever you choice, good luck! Sorry I can't help you regarding the shop though.

Procharmo
04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi , I am from the UK and I have had my 1977 Camaro since 1993. I had a 1979 straight six since 1981 when I was 17. It got totaled in 93 and I bought a 77 Camaro Type LT and transfered the doors, boot bonnet and interior to my 77 305 V8. I then got it painted and 10 months later the body was wicked but the engine was shot. I installed a 355 from a Corvette. Forged crank, pistons etc. I added back in 94 I think the first Procharger P600B @ 9lbs boost in the UK. In 2000 I added an intercooer and saw 17lbs on the boost gauge at 6000 rpm with a 265 pulley.
I had fun on the street but never dragged it. I think back then I was Pro-touring inpsired even though the term didn't exist. A bunny boiler for a girlfriend smashed the T-tops all windows, sratched every panel poured oil all over the interior. Oh and she also stabbed me in the back 3 times (and 5 times in the chest when I turned round)with a 12" kitchen knife before I could disarm her.

Now I'm planning to get the body straight, install a Procharger F1C. 4 inch intercooling pipes and have some fun. This car has been with me in one form or another all my adult life.
Don't sell yours. Make it better, Stronger, Faster.

And then get buried in it!!!!!!!:cool: