PDA

View Full Version : Z06, pro-tour, or streetrod?

michael6372
04-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Hello everyone! I sold my Nova last fall and I am really missing not having a car. I was able to pay off 90% of my debt when I sold the Nova. My question is this. If you where going to get/build another car, what would you do? Here are the choices I am looking at.

1. New Z06 Corvette. All the luxuries of a new car and is basically a race car for the street. But, Anyone can buy one and you don't have the individuality or satisfaction of building it.

2. Pro-touring car. Best of both worlds. Old car styling with performance of today.

3. Streetrod. Probably not a good option on this site but, I love streetrods as much as the 2 listed above. Not as performance oriented as the Vette or Pro-tour car but, has alot of style and relatively good performance (depending on how you build it).

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the input!!:cheers:

Michael.

bigvegan
04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, what are your goals/desires for a car?

For me, the Z06 would be pretty appealing. Airbags, 196mph, and a factory warranty.

If you're mechanically inclined, a pro-touring car or streetrod would probably be far more rewarding, as there's not a lot of wrenching you could do on a Z06 without a good deal of training and equipment.

If you want speed and reliability (or at least a warranty), the Z06 would be the way to go.

If you want something unique that's going to reflect you and your style and won't ever be something someone can just cut a check for at the dealership, then the streetrod or the pro-tourer would be a good choice.

Here's my suggestion. Split the difference and buy a regular new Corvette (430hp and 186mph should be almost enough to satisfy your performance craving), and then use the $25k or so difference to buy a streetrod or pro-tourer (or one of each if you buy a budget version).

Yelcamino
04-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Here's my suggestion. Split the difference and buy a regular new Corvette (430hp and 186mph should be almost enough to satisfy your performance craving), and then use the $25k or so difference to buy a streetrod or pro-tourer (or one of each if you buy a budget version).

X2!

MarkM66
04-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Wait until you pay off your other 10% of dept.

Then save enough to buy something outright.

NOT A TA
04-07-2008, 05:08 AM

I agree unless that debt is a mortgage on your home. Then just start saving for or building a car without accruing new debt.

Mr. B
04-07-2008, 05:26 AM
I went through a similar thought pattern not long ago between a new Vette, an 03 Z06, or keeping my Camaro. What I ended up deciding was to keep my Camaro and do it full on pro touring. I love the new Vette, but it's just another Vette. You will get TONS more looks and praises on a pro tour car. People see Vettes every day, rarely do you see a tricked out muscle car that will perform with a Vette. Now that's cool.

Yelcamino
04-07-2008, 06:16 AM
I went through a similar thought pattern not long ago between a new Vette, an 03 Z06, or keeping my Camaro. What I ended up deciding was to keep my Camaro and do it full on pro touring. I love the new Vette, but it's just another Vette. You will get TONS more looks and praises on a pro tour car. People see Vettes every day, rarely do you see a tricked out muscle car that will perform with a Vette. Now that's cool.

I agree with everything you say, however, there's one point a new Vette can do better than the old car, and that would be drive it everyday. I know you can build old cars that are daily drivers and/or are dependable enough to drive every day. The problem is the insurance.

I have Grundy on my two cars and even though they're reliable enough for daily transportation, my coverage doesn't allow it. I've put way too much money in these cars to rely on standard insurance just so I can drive them all the time. At least with a new Vette (or any new car for that matter) if it gets totaled or stolen you're only out a new car, which is replacable. If a custom one-off PT car gets totaled or stolen, you're back to square one. If you don't have the right kind of insurance you're screwed even more.

The ideal situation (IMO) would be to have a new Vette (or whatever turns you on) for daily use and also have a cool PT car for fun.

scogin918
04-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Take a look at the Nissan GT-R if you decide to go the ZO6 route. Quicker, Faster, Cheaper and it has a backseat.

va72mlibu
04-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Take a look at the Nissan GT-R if you decide to go the ZO6 route. Quicker, Faster, Cheaper and it has a backseat.

It may sticker cheaper, but I anticipate substantial "market adjustment" price increases when it actually hits the street.

Mr. B
04-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Yelcamino, I agree the creature comforts are better in the Vette. But do we really daily drive our cars? I had a brand new Vette in 95, after the fun, newness wore off, I didn't drive it anymore than I drive my Camaro now. And to be honest, I prefer hearing the motor, etc, on an older car. It feels more like I'm in a racer, that's all part of the fun for me. :)

6'9"Witha69
04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Need to guess what I chose? PT baby! I love the older styling.

Yelcamino
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Yelcamino, I agree the creature comforts are better in the Vette. But do we really daily drive our cars? I had a brand new Vette in 95, after the fun, newness wore off, I didn't drive it anymore than I drive my Camaro now. And to be honest, I prefer hearing the motor, etc, on an older car. It feels more like I'm in a racer, that's all part of the fun for me. :)

I hear ya. I'm in the process of trying to sell my Harley and my F150 because I want a new Vette (non-Z06) for daily transportation. As much as I'd love to drive my El or Chevelle every day I can't as I stated above. Besides, even if I could I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving either of those cars alone in a parking lot or at the park & ride all day. I could handle leaving a new Vette in those places.

ITLBTU
04-07-2008, 09:03 AM
That's a tough call. I have on older Z06('02) and a '69 Camaro that I'm Pro-Touring,that will be more track oriented than street oriented. That way my wife and I can do a long drive in comfort, or short fun hops in the Camaro.:bananna2:

Nine Ball
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
If you get a Z06, buy a slightly used one to avoid the huge depreciation curve. That is the bad thing about newer cars, they drop in value while our classics hold or increase in value over time.

If you have the funds and skill to build a badass pro-touring car, it will get more attention and be more fun than a Z06. Now, if this is something you might want to daily drive, the Z06 is awesome for that.

68/CamaroFL
04-07-2008, 10:58 AM
If you get a Z06, buy a slightly used one to avoid the huge depreciation curve. That is the bad thing about newer cars, they drop in value while our classics hold or increase in value over time.

If you have the funds and skill to build a badass pro-touring car, it will get more attention and be more fun than a Z06. Now, if this is something you might want to daily drive, the Z06 is awesome for that.
I Agree with Nine Ball build a badass pro-touring car!
it will get more attention than a Z06!

twosaturns
04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
you forgot uglier, more complicated, and, um, it's not a vette!
I don't think everyone buys a corvette just on specifications. there is so much more to a car: emotion, heritage, sound, feel, all hard to quatify items. which is why so many guys here prefer an older, modded car; doesn't always perform better, or handle better, or as reliable, but an older car scores high on heritage and emotion, very valuable things.
I can't get emotional about a GT-R.

ssx
04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd opt for the protour car or streetrod. Just build it to be driveable everyday. LS/OD trans/AC/etc.

WayneE
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing :) If you had to sell your other project/fun car to pay off bills, you should probably not buy anything and just wait until you're out of debt and have cash in hand to purchase.

That said, what other cars do you currently own? Are you looking for something you can drive every day?

The comment about a new Z06 being difficult to mod is incorrect, IMO. It's really easy, just not inexpensive, to get a TON of power out of them - reliably even.

rocketman
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Street Rod

michael6372
04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! They are greatly appreciated! My only debt is my house payment. I had to sell my car because of a medical problem(surgery, all better now) and missing 3 months of work. I was fortunate enough to sell it for enough $$ to cover my bills while I was off and pay off most of my bills.

My daily car is a 2004 Monte Carlo.

As far as the GT-R goes, it's sounds like a mean car, but I think it's one of the ugliest I have seen(just my opinion). I have always been the type to buy cars that are American made. The only way I would consider a foreign car is if it's a Lambo, Ferrari or possibly an Audi R8(just looks soooo cool to me).

Thanks again for all the input and keep the replies coming!!!

Michael.

bwhinnen
04-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Depends what you want to do with it.

A daily driver, the Z06.
A weekend fun car, the pro-tourer.

I'm not a street rod fan per say so if what you want to do fits with that go that route.

Personally I'd get something that is nice to drive in everyday and get something special for the weekends and when you feel like having a little fun... Kinda the best of both worlds.

dhutton
04-07-2008, 02:24 PM
I like the suggestion to get a base model Corvette and a protouring car. The base model is no slouch (especially if you get the Z51 suspension) and it gives you some things that are worthwhile in a daily driver: antilock brakes, traction control, air bags to name a few. A warranty is also a plus. It's also handy not to depend on your PT car for daily use when you are doing upgrades and you find yourself missing a part with no way to get to work on Monday.

I have a C6 daily driver and I'm building a 69 Firebird. When it's all done I think I should have less than the price of a new Z06 invested because I am doing all the work on the Firebird.

Don

Patrick
04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Just curious--

How long of a commute do have? What's the traffic like?

Are you parked at work all day?

cheapthrillz
04-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I would say get a base vette also maybe even a used one with an extended waranty (higher miles if possible). Throw on a procharger and you will have fast enough car that will be reliable and get looks and not have to worry about if somebody in the parkinglot opens their door into the side of your car. Then you can just drive the piss out of it and still have $30k to put into a PT-car.

GTOnate
04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Maybe everyone should not be concerned about his debt... I have debt, should I sell everything I own to pay it off? lol Heck no! His money, his life, don't make suggestions on finances that aren't requested, It is very insulting.

twosaturns
04-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Maybe everyone should not be concerned about his debt... I have debt, should I sell everything I own to pay it off? lol Heck no! His money, his life, don't make suggestions on finances that aren't requested, It is very insulting.
good point. not everyone here is a self made millionaire. many people, MOST poeple have debt, but find the money to support their hobby regardless. living debt free is a pie in the sky dream for most people.

WayneE
04-08-2008, 05:05 AM

- he didn't seem insulted in his reply
- he brought up his debt on a public forum, expect comments
- people are just 'looking out' for a fellow enthusiast with good advice
- maybe you should lighten up a bit if you're insulted by good natured, well-meaning advice about debt

Michael6372, glad you have your medical problems whipped. If you have a Z06 budget, I also like the idea of a base model C6 and a pro-touring car. A guy on another board I read just picked up a 2008 C6 new for less than $40k.

compos mentis
04-08-2008, 06:23 AM
My daughter really needed a car and left it up to me as to what to do. She owns a '95 Subura Legacy wagon that wasn't running and needed about $800-$1000 worth of work, which is what she had for a downpayment. As much as I wanted to see her drive a nice looking and strong running late model used car, I know that "The borrower is servant to the lender". I could not in all good conscience advise her to borrow money.

That's the best advice I can give.

When you get the money, after driving someone's streetrod and protouring cars that are for sale vs. the Vette, you'll know whether to build or buy-:)

Skip

michael6372
04-08-2008, 06:31 AM
- he didn't seem insulted in his reply
- he brought up his debt on a public forum, expect comments
- people are just 'looking out' for a fellow enthusiast with good advice
- maybe you should lighten up a bit if you're insulted by good natured, well-meaning advice about debt

Michael6372, glad you have your medical problems whipped. If you have a Z06 budget, I also like the idea of a base model C6 and a pro-touring car. A guy on another board I read just picked up a 2008 C6 new for less than $40k.

Hello everyone!! Thanks for all the replies and advice!! It's greatly appreciated!! Just to clear the air, I didn't want this to turn into any type of arguments about debt or finances or ........

I am not insulted by anything said or anyone here.
I asked for everyone's input, I am very appreciative for everyone's comments and advice, whether it's about which car to choose or about finances or anything else.

I think it's great to have a site like this where everyone has a passion and love for cars and you can talk and ask questions and people you don't know and have never met are more than willing to help you. Like I said earlier, I am very thankful for all the replies and input and did not want this to turn into an argument of any kind. Have a great day!!:cheers:

Michael.

Yelcamino
04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
A guy on another board I read just picked up a 2008 C6 new for less than $40k.

Where? Would you be able to find out the dealer's name/location?

Sorry, I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread, I just had to ask!

WayneE
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Herb, I don't have the name of the dealer, but I'll ask him. Fairly local to us (I've driven a friend here to pick up his new C6) is Kerbeck in NJ.

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.nsf/corvette_special_offers

matty b
04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
hey about the gt-r, I recently bought a G37s from Infinity and got talking to the finance guy about the fact that Nissan got the car instead of Infinity and the conversation ended at the price that they would sell them for and it ended up being estimated at around $150k. He said they are so popular that a bidding war for them was already taking place and that they were sold out of them for at least 2 years. Im with the guy that said buy a standard c6 and get a Pt car with the balance that you saved on the z06 model. Granted you would have to be financing the PT car as well otherwise you would obviously need to come out of pocket for the total cost of the old car. OR wait for the zr1 to come out and buy that, they will definitely be a collectors car.

bret
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
If you have to ask...buy the Z06. It will be easier to sell when your heart is really into a Pro Tour car or a Street Rod. I think building any hotrod is a labor of love...if your heart is not 110% into it...why bother?
BTW...why not a Pro Tour Street Rod? Don't laugh...I know of a couple going together right now.

JV69z/28
04-08-2008, 08:09 PM
How about a '68-'82 C3 pro-touring Corvette (68-72 are more desirable and therefore have a more expensive buy in)? Some of these cars are around real reasonable. The NCRS type guys run away when the cars are not matching numbers and the late C3 rubber bumper cars can be found cheap by todays standards (way less than 10K). The aftermarket for these cars is tremendous. You can buy just about anything you could possibly need. I bet you could do something real nice that would be about 9/10ths of a new ZO6 for 1/2 the price. As far as street rods go if you want something real nice that has performance and handling by the time your done you'll be into ZO6 money and then some. Just trying to throw another idea out there. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Young Gun
04-09-2008, 06:54 PM
why dont you build something like the 3g vette...use the full z06 driveline...or just wait a bit till the zr1 comes out and use the ls9 setup...could make a really cool car!

Yelcamino
04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Herb, I don't have the name of the dealer, but I'll ask him. Fairly local to us (I've driven a friend here to pick up his new C6) is Kerbeck in NJ.

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.nsf/corvette_special_offers

Ok thanks. I'm familiar with Kerbeck and that's the place I've been watching the recent web specials.

KILLER06MUSTANG
04-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Go for the Z06, Its just over 3100 lbs makes 505 peak HP has a killer powerband. It will out handle almost all pro tour cars and beat most any of them straight line. You will also have a radio, an AC and heat system that will actually keep the cabin cool not just whatever body part you put infront of the vent.

Not to mention a warranty for whenever something breaks.

Marty G Cars
04-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Out of those choices I'd get the Z06. I just looked at a new black on black, very impressive but it'll cost a nickle or two.

Not that I'm biased or anything but have you considered a Viper? They get more looks than a Vet, it's American muscle and if you shop around you can get a great deal.

jackfrost
04-11-2008, 09:04 AM
if it were me, I'd buy a C5 Z06, and immediately drop it off for a blower, exhaust, etc. a quick check of eBay (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___z06_W0QQ_kwZz06QQ_catZ6001QQ_flZl2QQ_fxdZ 1QQ_pcatsZ6000QQ_verZ4?ModelYearf0c65f14=20041774c 2&ModelYearf0c65f14=20031774c1&ModelYearf0c65f14=20021774c0&ModelYearf0c65f14=20011774bf&ModelYearf0c65f14=20001774be&ModelYearf0c65f14=1999172348&ModelYearf0c65f14=1998172347)and there are several with low miles in the $25-30K range. add another $10k in mods (generous), and you're up to 40k. then you still have 40k+ to build an incredible pro-touring and/or a street rod.

of course, i'm pretty biased against new cars. I just can't justify the depreciation, especially when there are so many barely used cars out for half the price.

Neil B
04-12-2008, 05:38 PM
if it were me, I'd buy a C5 Z06, and immediately drop it off for a blower, exhaust, etc. a quick check of eBay (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___z06_W0QQ_kwZz06QQ_catZ6001QQ_flZl2QQ_fxdZ 1QQ_pcatsZ6000QQ_verZ4?ModelYearf0c65f14=20041774c 2&ModelYearf0c65f14=20031774c1&ModelYearf0c65f14=20021774c0&ModelYearf0c65f14=20011774bf&ModelYearf0c65f14=20001774be&ModelYearf0c65f14=1999172348&ModelYearf0c65f14=1998172347)and there are several with low miles in the $25-30K range. add another $10k in mods (generous), and you're up to 40k. then you still have 40k+ to build an incredible pro-touring and/or a street rod.

of course, i'm pretty biased against new cars. I just can't justify the depreciation, especially when there are so many barely used cars out for half the price.

Yup, I agree. The C5 ZO6s are becoming a great value as they continue to depreciate.