PDA

View Full Version : T-56 flywheel questions.

MarkM66
02-03-2005, 08:52 AM
I have an LT1 style T56. Going into a '70 Nova using Tylers kit.

I'm going to build a sbc 383, using an '86 up one piece rear main block. I can either have it neutrally balanced, or externally balanced. My orininal plans were to use all the stock T56 parts, flywheel, clutch, pressureplate, etc.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not a stock LT1-T56's flywheel is neutrally/zero balanced or not (I don't have the parts at my place right now, or I'd just go look for a weight on the flywheel).

If it's zero balanced, I can just have the engine internally balanced, and be good to go. If it's not, I'm assuming I'll need to have weight taken off of it to zero balance it. Or buy a new zero balanced flywheel.

Are the T56 flywheels, 153 tooth or 168 tooth?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

68protouring454
02-06-2005, 10:05 AM
hey nark, i did the same research, but i am mating a t-56 to a 454, ext balance, however, the lt 1 t-56 are 153 tooth, as the bell housing is very small, as far as the stock flywheels being zero balance, i would say they are the same as a reg old chevy flywheel just in a 153 tooth deal
while doing research for mine, guys said to use the centerforce flywheel, then either centerforce clutch or mcloed, at summit i founf the mcloed flywheel for my ext balance 454 was cheaper than the centeforce and the clutches were the same money for the pull off style, hopefully tyler or someone will speak up and let us know on a stock l t-1 flywheel
goodluck
jake

RatMalibu
02-06-2005, 12:15 PM
the one piece rear main SBC is external balance in the rear....when they cut the counterweight off the crank they had to put it someplace.....it is not the same balance as a 2 piece rear main flywheel from what i understand though....

hth...btw I'm going T-56 with a Weir bellhousing so I can run a big flywheel on my int balance 489 BBC :)

MarkM66
02-07-2005, 10:02 AM
the one piece rear main SBC is external balance in the rear....when they cut the counterweight off the crank they had to put it someplace.....it is not the same balance as a 2 piece rear main flywheel from what i understand though..

Yes, I have found this statement to be correct. The stock flywheel is not zero balanced.

Thanks, Mark.

zuess4u
02-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Just to let everyone know, we are still working on a quality, cheaper alternative, for mating the T-56 to a 2 piece. We will be using a flywheel from an early 80s 350-153 tooth, and 10.5 clutch disc set up.

With the holidays done we are back in school and the people at Quater master are back from vacations.

They are supplying us with a hydraulic throw out bearing that measures 1.7 when static. We are also trying to get them to reduce the size of the retainer bearing to 1.31 to fit the T-56 shaft. With the 1.7 and this thinner flywheel, we think this will work. I will keep you posted. If anyone has any input, or thinks Im out of my mind please let me know. :screwy:

EFI69Cam
02-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Just to let everyone know, we are still working on a quality, cheaper alternative, for mating the T-56 to a 2 piece. We will be using a flywheel from an early 80s 350-153 tooth, and 10.5 clutch disc set up.

With the holidays done we are back in school and the people at Quater master are back from vacations.

They are supplying us with a hydraulic throw out bearing that measures 1.7 when static. We are also trying to get them to reduce the size of the retainer bearing to 1.31 to fit the T-56 shaft. With the 1.7 and this thinner flywheel, we think this will work. I will keep you posted. If anyone has any input, or thinks Im out of my mind please let me know. :screwy:

It should work. Keisler does this, the Viper t56 I just got from them is mated to a LT1 bell. I think they use the aftermarket t56 front piece though, I don't think the Viper one will bolt to the LT1 bell.
I have not been able to figure out whose slave they are using though.

80z28s6
02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
It should work. Keisler does this, the Viper t56 I just got from them is mated to a LT1 bell. I think they use the aftermarket t56 front piece though, I don't think the Viper one will bolt to the LT1 bell.
I have not been able to figure out whose slave they are using though.

Yes please keep us informed!! Many thanks!!