PDA

View Full Version : HID/Xenon upgrades?

streetk14
04-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I've been looking into doing a HID conversion on my '67 RS and was hoping some of you have been there could give me some info. There are a lot of kits available, but my main confusion is about choosing a headlight housing that will work well and make a nice beam pattern like a new car with HIDs. The car currently has DSE bright driver headlight conversion with Silverstar bulbs (not sure of wattage). I have not yet installed relays, which is something that should really help but I just love the look (and output) of HID lights.

Sylvania makes their Xenarc kits, but I have heard they are not that bright. They look to be a nice kit, but are fairly expensive. There is a picture below of the kit they offer. http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=214

Another option is to use my existing DSE headlight lens and just do a Bi-Xenon conversion that will work with a my headlights or something like a Hella E-code. I have heard the Hella headlight lenses are very good and the price is very reasonable.

There are also those cheap, "projecter" style 7" headlights on ebay that look cool, but will these provide a good beam pattern with a HID system? I'm really converned with function over looks, since my car is an RS and the headlights are hidden except when in use.

I did find one other offering from Xenarc, which is a Bi-xenon HID upgrade that is designed for Jeeps, Hummers, etc. It is also supposed to fit anything with an old-style 7" headlight. The headlights look to be a true projector style and look like they would work better than the other stuff out there. They are kind of funny looking, but like I said, I have an RS car so that really doesn't matter. What do you guys think of this system, and will these headlights fit behind the RS headlight doors? They appear to stick out, but maybe that is just an illusion. http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=255

What do you guys think I should do?

Andy

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (javascript:;)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/04/done3-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/04/wow-1.jpg

MrQuick
04-05-2008, 05:33 PM
We use this guy at work for upgrades. Prices are decent.
http://f1spec.com/hilobeam.html
Glass lenses a must. Get the relay kit if you need it.

Them bubble eyes look funky, don't think they would fit behind the shutters.

DarkoNova
04-05-2008, 07:40 PM
It's really a pretty straightforward conversion. I can't tell from the pics on DSE's site if the lines/texture are in the glass or in the reflector housing itself, but it does look like it's in the housing, which is good. You want a clear glass lens, the reflector doesn't matter. The projector has its own reflector so it doesn't even use the reflector you have now.

Anyway, get some projectors from an Acura TL. They're bi-xenon and they're just about the best bi-xenon projectors out there at the moment.

After that, all you have to do is cut the housing to fit the projectors. And just remember when you're putting them in that the shield goes towards the bottom. I know it sounds wrong because it looks like all the light would go up instead of down towards the ground, but if you look through a projector, everything is upside down because of the curvature. So basically putting it at the bottom, the curvature of the lens creates a mirror image upside down, so the shield blocks off all the light above the shield. Dunno if that makes sense but that's it in a nutshell.

Also, be prepared to cut a LOT of metal out of the core support to be able to fit the projector through it.

Oh, and you can use RTV to seal the projector to the housing, but I opted to use zip ties. It sounds cheap and/or flimsy, but it's actually pretty sturdy.

Oh, and unfortunately, we're never going to be able to get a super wide beam spread/pattern like newer cars since the lights are so far back on older cars. Novas for example, have the little "grills" on the sides of the headlights, so that keeps the light from shining out to the sides of the car. Same thing with Camaros. Still, I put BMW projectors and 6000k 55 watt HID's on the Nova and I get a nice white light that's spread evenly and has a nice cut off. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow.

Matt

streetk14
04-06-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks Vince, I feel better about buying a kit from a real company vs. some guy on ebay. The ignitors and parts in that kit look to be of OEM quality, so I'll give it a shot.

I just need to find a good headlight housing. The DSE lights I have are plastic of some type, not glass. I had heard that Hella E-code lights were very good. There are also those cheapies on ebay that are listed as "projector" lights, and I think they have a smooth glass lens. I just want something that is going to function as good as possible, but don't really want to mess around with retrofitting in an OEM projector if it involves cutting up the core support, etc.

I do have an extra E46 BMW Xenon headlight, so maybe I'll take it apart and look at using those projectors in my car. I was going to throw it away, but it could prove to be useful.

Here are those ebay lights, I thought I could maybe use those with that HID kit you suggested.

Andy

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

streetk14
04-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention this. I checked voltage at the back of my headlight connector with the engine idling and the headlights on. I'm only getting about 12.5 volts, so it seems as if a Painless relay kit would be a good investment first.

Now, aren't HIDs supposed to pull less amps than a high powered halogen bulb? My OEM wiring seems to be doing an ok job of getting voltage to the headlights, but I'd rather see 13.5 volts or more. Think I need the relays with the HIDs?

Andy

MrQuick
04-06-2008, 09:51 AM
The kit shown uses the headlamp high and low beam circuits as a on sense so you should be good. I like to run relays but its not always needed. You can give them a call, numbers on the site...oh and they sell on ebay too. LOL

streetk14
04-06-2008, 10:40 AM
The kit shown uses the headlamp high and low beam circuits as a on sense so you should be good. I like to run relays but its not always needed. You can give them a call, numbers on the site...oh and they sell on ebay too. LOL

Ok, so the kit is wired up like a relay system already. I'm assuming you need a B+ and ground connection that provides the real power for the ignitor and then the factory headlight switch power is just a signal wire? If that's the case, then I'll pass on the relays.

Those kits are Bi-Xenon, right? Do they have the "sheild" that moves to adjust the beam? Also, since you have installed some, what is required for the wiring install. I'm trying to keep this clean looking.

Andy

DarkoNova
04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok, so the kit is wired up like a relay system already. I'm assuming you need a B+ and ground connection that provides the real power for the ignitor and then the factory headlight switch power is just a signal wire? If that's the case, then I'll pass on the relays.

Those kits are Bi-Xenon, right? Do they have the "sheild" that moves to adjust the beam? Also, since you have installed some, what is required for the wiring install. I'm trying to keep this clean looking.

Andy

The F1 Spec kits are just the bulbs and ballasts, you still need projectors to use them.

Matt

MrQuick
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM

Andy yep no projecter lenses. These work in factory turn in lenses.

yes, the kits we use on the chargers are plug and play. But due to CA laws only the low beam is HID, the high beam is halogen, 2 bulbs in one.
They do offer a bi-Xenon unit for $289. No shields but it has a small actuater that moves the bulb into position. Most popular bulb sizes in stock.

Easy hook up. Un plug the stock bulb,chuck, mount the ballast, plug in the stock connecter to jumper unit, instal new HID Xenon bulb and plug in connector.

The ballast are included and the wiring is high quality. Give them a call for info.

streetk14
04-07-2008, 04:18 PM
The F1 Spec kits are just the bulbs and ballasts, you still need projectors to use them.

Matt

Hey, you get those M3 wheels on yet?

I guess what I meant was that I have seen some kits on ebay that instead of flipping the bulb up and down like Vince said, they have a motor that moves a sheild to block the light (like of like an OEM Bi-xenon setup).

I had an extra E46 Bi-xenon headlight that I took apart today. I took the projector out and I also have a bulb, module and ignitor. Basically I'd just have to retrofit the projector into a 7" headlight, then give the Module a power and ground front my original headlight wiring and everything should work. Getting the projector in will be the hardest part. I might get a cheapy headlight to mess around with.

Andy

DarkoNova
04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately no. I wrecked my daily driver so I'm driving the Nova daily now. I still need to put the disc brakes on and measure for the adapters, and I can't do that cuz I have school every day. :banghead:

Yeah the hardest part is cutting up the lens housing to put the projector in. I thought I measured right on the first one but I went a little too far so it's pretty ghetto compared to the second one.

Measure twice, cut once.

Matt

EFI69Cam
04-08-2008, 04:43 AM

Why are the glass lenses a must. I was thinking about a 9007 bi-zenon kit to use with the DSE headlights.

MrQuick
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
we had problems with the poly stuff turning color after a short period of time. You can try it. Im sure the stuff they use isn't hotter than this set up.

EFI69Cam
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
we had problems with the poly stuff turning color after a short period of time. You can try it. Im sure the stuff they use isn't hotter than this set up.

OK that makes sense considering what I have read about the increased UV output from the zenon bulbs.

Maybe I'll just use silverstars and install relays.

zbugger
04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
OK that makes sense considering what I have read about the increased UV output from the zenon bulbs.

Maybe I'll just use silverstars and install relays.

Probably the best investment you can make is installing those relays. I did on my Camaro and it made a world of difference. The SilverStar headlights make a difference too. I have a set of much brighter headlights for it, and when the car was running, it really lit up the road. I loved them.

Balance_Point
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I have done many sets of HID on my vehicles. It didn't matter if it was a Motorcycle or car the real criticle factors were the light (4500k works best for performance to 6000k for looks) and the reflector. I have 200+ hrs. on several sets of polycarbonate lenses without discoloration. There was actually a temp reduction of approximately 15*f with the HID lights. Plain lenses and quality ballasts are other purchasing factors to consider.

Tom Vogel
04-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Has anyone tryed the kits from Focuz Tech?