PDA

View Full Version : Looking for CBB for corvair

David Sloan
02-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Does any body have any info on some disc. brake converision for a 64 corvair? Front an rear?
Thanks!

indyjps
02-06-2005, 12:12 PM
why why why, just kidding, no experience with corvairs sounds like a good project. there should be some kind of info out there with the road racing poeople did with them.

David Pozzi
02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Yes, I'd check on what the Yenco Corvairs used.
Then check for similarities between Camaro, Nova, and Corvair spindles, you may be able to use some of the Camaro/Nova parts to convert your car.

You also need to limit rear suspension droop travel, if you haven't heard of that racer's trick yet.

TonyL
02-07-2005, 01:21 PM
heh. Clark's corvair has everything you need.

basicly the rear disks are caddy units, on a modified plate. we had to custom make a mounting braket and used all 93 chevy camaro stuff. (since baer stuff will bolt up to that.) on project provair. it's not tested yet but when it is, we'll offer it in kit form.

its an ongoing search.

But. GOvair (http://www.corvairunderground.com/govair/index.htm) is the spot for performance or race parts. they are owned by "corvair underground" and are awsome at customer service.

the govair struff https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/02/disc1-1.jpg

Since your's is a 64 or early stile vair, its harder but govair will know what to do for you. You need to call them.

David Sloan
02-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks guys for the info!!
This is for a good freind of mine !! He wants to take this car on the power tour this year.

pdq67
02-12-2005, 06:45 PM
I have an old mag somewhere that has a writeup about putting disc brakes on an old 'Vair front axle subframe/cross member.

The article went on to say that years ago, they were quite popular with rodders wanting a real IFS and of course, it is a bolt-on unit!!

If I recall right they had to use something like a small Olds car rotor such as off the Trofero or whatever it was called. Might have even been a rear rotor??

I think the deal was that there flat isn't enough room to use a big rotor or one with a lot of hat b/c the spindle itself is short in bearing length.

They made cold rolled plate caliper adapters that were two-piece such that they moved the caliper in closer to the frame b/c of the short rotor hat spacing. I think they used the later metric big single piston calipers but may be off here.

It would probably take me at least two hours to find the mag in all my boxes???

pdq67