PDA

View Full Version : Hagerty v/s Grundy

jvest
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm ready to get my 68 Camaro on the road and trying to decide which insurance company to use. Who do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

JustinB
03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
I went with Grundy. I have never filed a claim with them but when I wanted to double my coverage on a agreed value policy all they wanted was a couple pics and it was taken care of. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either as long as its an "agreed value" policy.

2yellow69
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
We just renewed with Grundy. They are a little more flexible with the use and milage. They're also a little less expensive. They even called after receiving the pics of our car to say it was very nice.

Matt

clay johnson
04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm sure they are both excellent, but I went with Haggerty, and here's my experience with them. A few years ago I was coming back from the Goodguys event in Indy. On the way home, I hit a pot-hole going through Nashville that felt like it was knee-deep. Needless to say, I bent my rim bigtime, and subsequently had a blow out. Long story short, but I called Haggerty road assistance and within 30 minutes, a roll-back showed up and took me to the nearest tire store.

When I got home, I took a picture of the bent rim, as well as a receipt for a new Torque-Thrust II, emailed it to them, and within days I had a check. I think they even picked up the tab for the roll-back.

I have renewed my policy ever since.

Tony_SS
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
I've had a couple service calls with Hagerty and they've always came through. I've been very happy with them as well.

clay johnson
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Just for reference, my premium is $492.00 / year on a replacement value on the car for $30,000 (appraised value). Full coverage, including the roadside assistance thing. I also think there is not a mileage cap, but I'd have to look.

2yellow69
04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I'll give you a reference also. $201.00/year for $26,000. no mileage cap.

You'll just have to check with both companies to see if they have what you want at a price you are willing to pay. Location might also be a determining factor on price. It sounds like Hagerty takes good care of Clay. Isn't it nice to not have to argue with an insurance company?

Matt

clay johnson
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Matt, that sounds like a good deal. The one I have is the Hagerty Plus plan, which is why they picked up the tab on the flatbed (first 10 miles is on them). My deductable on full coverage is $210. And yes, it is nice not having to argue with them!

John McIntire
04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
i have Hagerty also. Been insured through them for roughly 6 years. I never had to file a claim, but it's nice to hear your stories.

BonzoHansen
04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Hagerty - 20k ag val, increased l-o-l to match my daily driver ~$360 ann. Like most cars here it falls into the 'modified' class.

No mileage limit, only use limit is no coverage on racetrack - but they do cover going to & from the track, the lot, bascially everything but track time itself.

jvest
04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Guys thanks for the advise. I talk to both and have currently decided to go with Hagerty. Since I've not got it painted yet I went with the 3000 mile restriction and 20K agreed value until I get it finished. I wanted to put a few miles on it before I painted it incase issues arise. I'll look into it a little closer once I get it finished. I really hope I don't need any insurance. This has been a 5 year restoration and I'd hate to see all that time go to waste. It's funny how age changes a person. Back in my teens and twenties I wouldn't think twice to raise he!! in an old hot rod, but now I'm a nervous wreck driving this car. Has anyone else felt the same.

Jim

gearheadtx
06-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I went with Hagarty but its the first time I hear about no mileage cap. They told me no more than 3K per year otherwise I will have to go with a regular insurance company.

Mark

chopshopcustoms
08-03-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm ready to get my 68 Camaro on the road and trying to decide which insurance company to use. Who do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

I use Grundy myself and reccommend it to everyone who asks and especially clients woho are in the process of buildign their cars- EVERY classic should be insured.

DO NOT use MARKEL insurance- they just came out with a classic car insurance and it isnt worth the paper it is written on.

I beleive Hagerty has a mileage restriction too dont they for most of their insurance?

Ive spoken with Grundy several times- great people and stand behind their insurance.

Just use them:cool:

Rick Dorion
08-03-2008, 02:59 AM
I have Hagerty with the 100 mile tow program (covers all family vehicles up to three times a year). Had a breakdown and the tow service was terrific - right to my garage door. I think they're advertising says no mileage - maybe they have different tiers. And, I'm in the modified category due to my rollbar.

Happyfunballs
09-02-2008, 06:14 AM
I just had Hagerty quote and agreed value of $40K(not "modified") and it was roughly $360 per year, no milage restriction and first 50 miles towing at no charge. If I remember correctly, the deductible is zero.

marinablueSS
06-12-2009, 06:07 AM
I was told by most to go with Haggerty, but I think I'm going to give Grundy a try, just because the price I got from Haggerty didn't Jive with what every one else told me they were paying for similar cars.

Chevy Kid
06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Guys thanks for the advise. I talk to both and have currently decided to go with Hagerty. Since I've not got it painted yet I went with the 3000 mile restriction and 20K agreed value until I get it finished. I wanted to put a few miles on it before I painted it incase issues arise. I'll look into it a little closer once I get it finished. I really hope I don't need any insurance. This has been a 5 year restoration and I'd hate to see all that time go to waste. It's funny how age changes a person. Back in my teens and twenties I wouldn't think twice to raise he!! in an old hot rod, but now I'm a nervous wreck driving this car. Has anyone else felt the same.

Jim

That's too funny! I agree! My Camaro won't leave my sight now. 25 years ago in high school, I didn't think twice about leaving it any where!

I have Hagerty. My dad has the same, his 36 Ford street rod included. A lady pulled out of a Mini mart and took off the front end right after the car was finished. He called Hagerty, they told him to get a qoute. The qoute was for $11K. They said they wanted to send an adjuster to look at it and take pics, and to not touch the car. (The car was back at his house) A couple of days after, they called and said a check was on it's way. Absolutely no hassles.

Tim

BRIAN
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I had Haggerty on a Rambler I had. Car was fairly nice and was in a few mags. Converter let go on a way to a cruise night. I waited 3 hrs for a truck.

When the driver showed up he was clueless. The car was a rotisserie build with a detailed undercarriage. I was joking around with my buddy when I heard this guy take out about 5 chains He explained he was going to chain the car down over the rear axle and front crossmember. The underside was as nice as the top. I asked him if he was crazy. He then said well we only have about 10 miles so how about I just go slow and don't tie it down.

Luckily I had my straps from my trailer in the trunk. When we got to my place I had lost all trust in the clown and told my buddy to tell me when the car was 1/2 off so I could check clearance. While I was checking under the car this guys lifts the front of the bed slamming the rear of the car into the street and the cable up into the front valance.

After they paid for the repairs I dropped them as the claim process was worse than the damages. The worst!!!

71CamaroSS
06-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Try Larry Strunk with Elite Insurance in Knoxville TN. I have an agreed 25k with 0 deductibles. 1000 miles per year for only $114 annually. You can get more miles if needed and they roll over. You can also start with 1000 and then call in and add more when you start to run over with no hassle!

GetMore
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Brian, the experience you had with the towing company really has nothing to do with the insurance company. As a matter of fact, the towing company has almost nothing to do with the insurance company, either.
IIRC, Haggerty uses GE Financial for their service providers. So, the company that responds is getting paid the same amount to take care of your special car or to take care of the beat up old clunker some old guy is driving. If you want to be sure your car will be handled properly call the towing company yourself and interview them. You'll have to foot the bill, and maybe the insurance company will reimburse you, maybe not.

Of course, this has nothing to do with your experience with the claims service.

1969CamaroRS
06-16-2009, 05:43 AM
Hagerty here, so far very happy with them.

Steve1968LS2
06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm in the process of changing my insurance on Penny over to Heacock Classic.

I like thier driving stipulations better than the others.

$110,000 in coverage with Uninsured motorist and such for $1300 a year.

BossaNova
06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Did either insurance co. give you any grief for having a roll cage in your car?

I'm in the process of changing my insurance on Penny over to Heacock Classic.

I like thier driving stipulations better than the others.

$110,000 in coverage with Uninsured motorist and such for $1300 a year.

John McIntire
06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I have Hagerty, for about 7 years and never had a problem. I replied to this post a year ago with the same response. I just wanted people to know that if you have a car insured through them and its currently torn apart and will be for awhile you can actually have the collision dropped from it for a pretty substantial decrease. I had them do that for me, since my chevelle is in peices and will be for awhile, but is still insured against damage for the full agreed amount.

They also wanted me to know that it's really for cars that are being built or under restoration, and you can't call up every winter to take collision off your ride to save a few bucks.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure that other Insurance companies might do the same thing, but basically just wanted the people insured with Hagert to know and maybe save them a few bucks!

John McIntire
06-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh, and about the rollcage question, Hagerty didn't have a problem with it, they just have the car as modified, or custom, I forget.

If my memmory serves me right, I do believe they had a problem with cars that have nitrous oxide. Don't quote me on that, thats going back 7 years, it may have changed.

NovaPwr
06-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I have the Heacock Classic policy. 30k agreed value, 0 deductible for $263 per year. Took a little time aligning all the coverages here in PA to match the business ins on my work vehicles. Saved almost 200 a year over my old Hagerty policy.

Morgan
06-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Benefits to both companies depending on your situation. Collector car (along with track coverage) is my business and I represent both Hagerty and Grundy and I write i most states. Both have excellent reputations and have small differences that fit different situations. I have had clients who have had claims and both companies respond approriately. Biggest thing to stay away from is a Stated Value policy which many of the major carriers offer. The legal wording behind that lets the company decide what they will pay you and they can choose between the Stated Amount or ACV (guess which is better for them). If anyone has any specific questions feel free to email me and for those of you who still have regular insurance be sure to read Steve Rupp's article in the Sept '07 PHR called Worst-Case Scenario.

thedodgeboys
06-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Benefits to both companies depending on your situation. Collector car (along with track coverage) is my business and I represent both Hagerty and Grundy and I write i most states. Both have excellent reputations and have small differences that fit different situations. I have had clients who have had claims and both companies respond approriately. Biggest thing to stay away from is a Stated Value policy which many of the major carriers offer. The legal wording behind that lets the company decide what they will pay you and they can choose between the Stated Amount or ACV (guess which is better for them). If anyone has any specific questions feel free to email me and for those of you who still have regular insurance be sure to read Steve Rupp's article in the Sept '07 PHR called Worst-Case Scenario.

Thanks for the info I am getting ready to call one of them :enguard: is that 07 artical on line?

68sixspeed
06-18-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm with Grundy for a few years now, had Hagerty for years and no problems either, but at $560 vs 980 just for the 68 that's on the road, Grundy won hands down.

daves57
12-17-2009, 10:51 AM
have had hagerty for 15 years , great company, 100 mile towing, 1 claim for 1500 paid without seeing the damage. but will compare prices with grundy this year for economical reasons, currently pay 490 for 45,000 coverage dave

rob07002
12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
$458 for $60k agreed value with Grundy. No issues with the roll bar and/or any of the other mods. It's been insured with them since I bought it when it was a stocker. After I did all the mods and increased the coverage, all they asked for were new pics. No milage limits and they said, "nice car"

No claims though, knock wood!

Taman
12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I had Hagerty for 4 years. I had one claim. The appraiser they sent out was a idiot. First thing out of his mouth was," I know a shop that can fix my $5000 in damages for $1200" They cut me a check for $3800. When I repainted my TA, a $35k stated value, was 15k, was going to double from $220 a year to $475 and they had a mileage restriction. I have been with Grundy for 2 years now. No claims filed. $250 FOR 35K stated value no mileage restrictions. Did a lot of research before choosing Grundy. Everyone I talked to liked Grundy. Several people switched from Hagerty. Both good companies.

stmeljes
05-28-2010, 05:38 PM
My 69 was stolen in Sept. last year and had 45k from Hagerty...the whole process with Hagerty was very good. All the crap I went through with everyone else...Hagerty was the BEST!!!

sn75
05-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Grundy coverage here. Several of my buddies vehicles have been covered by them (some of you might recall one of his cars, Malitude, lol!). He's the one that steered me toward Grundy (no regrets) :twothumbs

70455HOVert
12-17-2010, 04:53 AM
I've had Hagerty since 2000. I had one claim in about 2002 on my convertible top. A cold snap caused the tempered glass in the rear window to shatter while in the garage. Local shops in WA wanted 1800-2400 to replace the top, which Hagerty balked at. They only wanted to replace the rear curtain of the two piece top, which contains the back glass. Obviously that's a little tough to do on a 5 year old top that's stretched and formed itself to the frame. The shops told me this wasn't possible either. Eventually I got lucky and a friend of the father of the girl I was dating at the time owned musclecars and was a retired autoglass guy. He installed the new top for $1300, which Hagerty paid, but only after I did the legwork for them. Maybe I should check into Grundy.

brianchevy
03-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to put my car on the road and I have been getting some quotes from Haggerty and Grundy. I read that Grundy has a problem with "high speed events", and I'm sure Pro-Touring events would qualify. I'm going to go thru the applications process, i don't really need a HUGE coverage policy, but I want to get liability coverage so I can get plates.

Has anybody been hassled / rejected by Haggerty or Grundy because you run Pro-Touring events?

CampbellshotrodsAZ
03-04-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty sure no insurance covers accidents at ANY race events. I know the Hagerty rep I talked to confirmed this. But they were okay with a rollbar, so I'm going to give them a chance on giving me a quote. I currently use State Farm collector car insurance.

camrat68
03-04-2015, 06:27 PM
When I went to insure my 68, neither company would insure you for any competition "timed" event in 2001. I went with Grundy over Hagerty specifically due to the mileage restrictions. I built the car with the intention of doing the Hot Rod Power Tour and Grundy didn't limit me based on mileage. No claims so far.

-Jim

BonzoHansen
03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
You would need track day coverage for issues occurring on the track. My hagerty policy covers me on the way to the track, in the pits and return road, but not the track itself. I'm not sure if paced parade laps are a gray area or not, I'd have to review my policy.

vintageracer
03-05-2015, 09:29 AM
I think we can ALL agree that both are fine companies therefore it boils down to READING THE POLICY ENTIRELY to make sure the coverage's match YOUR Needs and Expectations!

As they are different companies they do have different "Terms and Conditions" in their STANDARD policies as outlined by several posters above. This alone makes choosing between these two companies a VERY IMPORTANT decision!

Now since virtually NOBODY reads their the "Terms and Conditions" in their insurance policy CONTRACT (Yes this is a legal document that outlines the responsibility of each party who entered into the contract) pick Hagerty or Grundy and get on with your life!

Having said all this if you have NOT READ and CANNOT EXPLAIN to another person or understand yourself the "Terms & Conditions" of ANY insurance policy you have purchased you should not have bought that policy. ALWAYS understand the insurance coverage YOU are purchasing and Do Not depend upon the "Herd's" OPINION for your insurance advice and recommendations. If you are not knowledgeable about the legal "Terms & Conditions" as outlined in your policy find some who is that can explain these "Terms & Conditions" to you in a manner in which you can ultimately do the same for someone else.

EVERYBODY's insurance needs are different. Buying the WRONG insurance coverage that does not meet your needs and requirements is just as good as NOT HAVING any insurance coverage at all!

BMR Sales
03-05-2015, 10:20 AM
I use Heacock Classic

dbackse350
03-06-2015, 07:36 PM
I use MK

TBART70
03-08-2015, 06:23 AM
$458 for $60k agreed value with Grundy. No issues with the roll bar and/or any of the other mods. It's been insured with them since I bought it when it was a stocker. After I did all the mods and increased the coverage, all they asked for were new pics. No milage limits and they said, "nice car"

No claims though, knock wood!

same with me 60k agreed value for about the same premium with Grundy.

69LSX
04-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I have Hagerty, but wanted to give Grundy a shot at quoting. Went on their site, typed in my info (live in the New Orleans area), and got a message stating they are currently NOT providing coverage in Louisiana. So I called for an explanation which they provided, saying that their underwriters are not covering because of the theft to vehicle ratio here. So yes, while I live in a nice area of N.O. (gated community w/ enclosed garage), I pay the price for the bad areas. Looks like I will be sticking with Hagerty. Mainly wanted to put this out there for other Louisiana classic car owners.

minendrews68
04-09-2015, 06:21 PM
I have Hagerty, (It's a subsidiary of Nationwide) which I have all my other vehicles as well as my home. haven't had to use it yet but it does have mileage restrictions of 1000 per year.

Barrrf
04-10-2015, 05:05 AM
Hagerty is a privately owned insurance company. It is not a subsidiary of Nationwide. Hagerty is actually an LLC still. They are working with Nationwide to try to get more people to insure through them using Nationwides broad reach. Having said all that, Im a Hagerty insurance holder - I had to make a claim last year for a door and fender. The process was absolutely seamless.

I just chatted with the online help - my policy does not have any mileage restrictions but I cannot use the car for transportation to and from work or for day to day. Technically, only to and from car shows, cruise-ins, meets, ect.

hookemdevils22
04-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Hagerty is way too overpriced. I switched to Chubb Collector Car... much easier, no hard mileage restrictions, and they're awesome to work with.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
04-13-2015, 09:11 AM
I just chatted with the online help - my policy does not have any mileage restrictions but I cannot use the car for transportation to and from work or for day to day. Technically, only to and from car shows, cruise-ins, meets, ect.

I don't know if this matters from state to state, but I talked with a Hagerty rep at our weekly Scottsdale Pavillions cruise night (one of the largest in the nation), and they were highly touting the ability to drive your car to work 20 times a year (how do they know the #), and carport parking. Might be worth checking. But I need to call them and ask what's up. I want to use them, but my quote for my project 71 Firebird was like $33 a month for $10k coverage. My 66 Mustang insured for $30k through State Farm was about $40 a month. Need to talk to someone and ask what gives? I'd like to drive to work once in awhile, but not at that price. But I work in a gated complex anyways, so not like that's stopped me before.

Barrrf
04-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Im surprised at some guys claiming $400/yr for $20k coverage is a lot. Think about how much we pay for our daily drivers? Hagerty/Chubbs/ect are all taking risk by letting us drive around our classics with a guaranteed value. I have no problems paying $400 a year.

WallaceMFG
04-13-2015, 12:38 PM
We looked into both of those companies, but ran into various issues with both. The worst one was one of the companies had a minimum age of 25 to drive the car. I'm only 22, so that isn't gonna work at my house.

We found out that Country insurance that we have our daily drivers on offers collector vehicle coverage. The only requirement was the value of the car, which you can choose up to $30-40k if you want to go higher you have to get it appraised. One bonus is that in AZ having historic insurance gets your car exempt from emissions testing. But there's no mileage limit, no age limit, and the premium is pretty cheap.

chpr1972
12-23-2015, 08:50 PM
For those of you who are insured with regular car insurance companies, you more than likely have a stated value policy. As one person asked is why is my mustang and other car insured for the same price but the collector car insurance more? Cause if it is totaled or stolen the regular car insurance company looks in a book and says you car is only worth say $20,000 so that is what they pay you. The collector car insurance company knows you have more money in the car so they pay you the value you and they agreed on, say $30,000.
My car has well over $40,000 dollars, including purchase price, and I have submitted to they a list of parts for over that amount. I have not replaced the top or interior or repainted the car. It has a ok repaint job and interior is in nice shape and top is ok. I will be doing that work as I can. I have it insured for $40,000 with Hagerty. It is hard to believe how fast and how much money can be put in a car and not see the result like a shiny new paint job.