PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Paint?

SSTuner
03-31-2008, 04:08 AM
I have a 1996 Impala SS frame that can not be powdercoated, due to GM dipped these frames in "Black Paraffin Wax" during production for rust proofing. The frame has been completely sandblasted but I was unable to get into the boxed areas of the frame to remove this wax and the powdercoater says this wax will melt as the frame is brought up to tempature during powdercoating and ruin the job.

So, now I would like to paint this frame. What are some paint recommendations to have a result of semi-flat black.

Thanks in advance
Ray

derekf
03-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Ray, I don't have any useful suggestions on the paint, but couldn't the powdercoater heat the frame first to melt out the wax before doing the coating?

comp-spec
03-31-2008, 05:27 AM
ppg dp 90 It's a semi gloss 2part epoxy

SSTuner
03-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Ray, I don't have any useful suggestions on the paint, but couldn't the powdercoater heat the frame first to melt out the wax before doing the coating?

I brought that same idea up to him also. He said he could not be held responsible if any residue wax remained and ruined the coating.

cheapthrillz
03-31-2008, 06:32 AM

x2

or find something from the por-15 website.... they might have some other paints made for subframes and underbodies...

SSTuner
03-31-2008, 06:39 AM

Would I top coat it with clear or leave it as is? I'm concerned about the UV factor of PPG DP90 since this car will be in car shows with the hood open and frame exposed to the sun.

dharrod
03-31-2008, 06:44 AM
I brought that same idea up to him also. He said he could not be held responsible if any residue wax remained and ruined the coating.

Find a different powder coater .. the preheat is meant for exactly this purpose. But the paints are pretty durible anymore.

comp-spec
03-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Would I top coat it with clear or leave it as is? I'm concerned about the UV factor of PPG DP90 since this car will be in car shows with the hood open and frame exposed to the sun. I would leave it as is.
I don't think the sun is going to hert it.We have cars that have bin done for along time with no problems and its definitly one of the most durable for a chassie

Happyfunballs
03-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Eastwoods Chassis Black works pretty well.

JcGc
03-31-2008, 08:29 AM
The powdercoater should place the parts in the oven first, to burn off any contaminates before they powdercoat the parts. Ask your powdercoater if they do that first. They should not just coat your parts, then cook them. I've had just about every part on my Camaro coated, and every part has been cooked first to get contaminates out before they coat them. Just my .2

minendrews68
03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Heating the parts prior to powder coating is a process that isn't to get rid of contaminents, but because the powder "melts" onto whatever is being coated. Most powder coating is done at a relatively high temperature. What your powder coater is saying, if I'm correct, is that when he brings your frame up to temp, the wax is going to run out of different places and run down onto the places that will receive the wax. I don't think the temperature is going to be high enough to completely burn the wax off the surface of the frame, and if it is, the residue left behind will probably cause adhesion problems. He just doesn't want to be held responsible, IMO...

jackfrost
03-31-2008, 10:40 AM
you could stand it up on end in your yard, and hit it with the torch for awhile. flip it over, and do it again... ?