PDA

View Full Version : Water pumps, short, long???

Rileys68Camaro
02-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Okay, I admit, I know just enough to be dangerous.

I think I have a long water pump, on my 350 crate motor. It's the newer centerbolt valve cover style motor, but not a Vortec.

So two questions:
How do I tell for sure if it's the long or short?

And what one is easier to work with as far as accesories?

I'm finding lots of alternator and other brackets for engines with short pumps, but...I don't know.

I'm running an electric fan so the fan distance to radiator is taken care of without having a certain pump.

Trying to get my car running inexpesiveley for now, and need accesory brackets and they all seem to hinge on what style water pump.

myclone
02-02-2005, 08:32 PM
If you look at the back of the water pump the short pump will be right up against the timing cover. With a long water pump you will have a gap of ~1.25 inches between the back of the pump and the timing cover.

Which ones easier to work with? Personally they are about the same IMO and it boils down to how you want the accessories packaged using stock type brackets. Short pumps usually require the accessories to be well outside the engine and can present a prob in cramped engine bays where as the long pump allows the accessories to be tucked in closer to the engine. Just my opinion though.

69HuggrrrPT
02-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Long pumps are 7" deep. Hope this helps

Dean