PDA

View Full Version : Peolpe from the SC area

68Formula
03-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi Folks,

There may be an opportunity for me to go the the South Carolina coast. Looking for feedback on the area. General pluses and minuses. Wife and I have always hated cold weather, and we both have bad knees, and find that overcast whether makes us depressed especially in winter.

Also like to gage car related stuff such as:

I hear there are crazy taxes on vehicles every year. What is this based on value of vehicle or original purchase price?
What does it take to bring a car in from out of state (classic and non-classic).
Since my Year plates are a one time permanent registration (no renwal required) in my current State, can I get away with not re-registering the car? Is there a program for historical or year plates in South Carolina? I need these to keep my insurance down as well has hopefully taxes.
Any good speed shops in the area (places to get things welded, and mandrel-bent exhausts made).
Thanks for all the info.

scogin918
06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
What part of SC are you moving to?

No crazy taxes here on vehicles, just your normal garden variety. I'll have to look at mine later and tell how much they are on my cars. We do have antique plates and the best of all, no emissions testing or annual inspections. That could change in 2012 though.

68Formula
06-27-2008, 01:09 PM
I'll be on the coast. I found a pair of year plates on eBay. Hopefully I can actually use them. If not, I guess they'll go on the garage.

cheapthrillz
06-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Weather is great in every part of SC.... Not sure about the taxes, but the Myrtle Beach area is packed during the summer (hope you don't want to live anywhere close to that).

Scottem
06-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Charleston area traffic is always bustling!

There is a utility tax on pick-up's, one year I got a bill for $375

Yearly vehicle taxes are based on vehicle value. You can receive a discount if your over age 65, or if your vehicle is a "high mileage" vehicle and there are many other discounts and fee's.
http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/default.aspx?n=fees

Some good info for aspiring new SC residents.. http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/default.aspx?n=movingsc

Just received a bill for the yearly registration for my 03 SVT Cobra in the amount of $289

The military in SC don't have to pay any of those fee's.

If you can stay out of the major cities and suburbs, your doing good. The country side is beautiful and there's always something to do.

68Formula
06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'll be in the Charleston area. Looks like I won't be driving a pickup!

matdean
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Any vehicle in my county (Abbeville) that is over 15 yrs old is $25 a year in taxes. If you can stay out of the city of Charleston you should be good. You shouldnt have to worry about cold weather. I bet it hasnt snowed and stuck in charleston in over 20 yrs. SC is a good area b/c we are central to a lot of different things. Keep us posted when you get down here.

burnoutbruce
11-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Charleston is NICE !!!

68Formula
11-26-2008, 09:32 AM
So I should give a quick update.

First off, Charleston is nice. Love it so far.

Second, year plates can be registered, but you have to be careful about plate numbers - some cannot - check the DMV website before you buy.

Third, year plates are nearly as cost saving as they are in other states. Still have to be renewed same as regular plates, and it's an extra fee up front to use them even though you supply the plate.

Finally, yearly taxes on classics are darn cheap, so it's not a big deal. On the other hand, new cars are pricey (at least to someone who didn't even have yearly taxes on cars before).

Still haven't found all the speed shops yet, so if anyone has some hints (like for paint, base engine work, mandrel bent exhaust, leaf spring de-arching, or driveshaft modification) please let me know.

trex1270
12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
isn't there a hot rod shop on Dorchester rd......I started to move there a couple years ago, so I checked that out, it was pretty neat....not sure if they do work though.......the only reason I did not move there was couldn't agree where to live, she wanted to live in "Charleston proper", and I was thinking Summerville....she is a Charlestonian. I was like, geez....I am willing to move from Texas to there, but you wont give in on were to live...made me rethink the whole scenerio......