PDA

View Full Version : MY67 Mustang Project

DJ Mabe
02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
My dad bought this car when it was three years old for $600. He gave me the car when I was 14 and we basically built a pretty good street car out of it for the money that I had (not much). I started really restoring the car a couple of years ago. The suspension is Global West, w/Flaming Rivers Rack and Pinion set up. I also have 4 wheel Wilwood disc. The motor is a 408 stroker with a 250hp shot of NOS. The trans is a built C4 with reverse manual valve body and a gear vendor. The rear is a 35 spline 9" Detroit Locker. All the electrical has been replaced, chrome and stainless has been refinished. Interior is complete (not in the car) with factory seats, Shelby style console with white face gauges, JME instrument Bezel with Phantom gauges. Body work is almost completed. It needs a little more attention before they throw some paint on the car. The car is almost ready to go mechanically, just needs to have the nitrous plumed and then I'm ready. I'm expecting to have it on the road in March or April at the latest. Very cool site you guys have. I am almost embarrassed to post about my junk. I thought my car was going to be pretty damn nice until I saw all the Camaro's on this site. Wow!!!

Derrick

DJ Mabe
02-02-2005, 05:56 PM
I've tried posting pictures but I'm a complete idiot!!. I cannot figure out how to resize these pictures for nothing. If anyone can help let me know.

Thanks
Derrick

DJ Mabe
02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
I think I finally figured out how to resize my pictures.

bnickel
02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
have you driven it with the FR rack yet? if not isugest you get rid of it before you even try to drive the car with it in there. those things are major junk, FR should and probably will be sued for selling those crappy things. i'm actually kind of surprised you even got the thing to bolt up at all, almost everyone i know of who has tried one has either not been able to make it work or have to do so much extra fab work that it was ridiculous. some things FR doesn't tell you about these racks is that you lose a lot of turning radius and bumpsteer is absolutely horrible the stock setup can be adjusted to have almost no bumpsteer whatsoever with nothing more than a baer bumpsteer kit but no amount of anything is going to get rid of the bumpsteer in the FR rack. for a much better designed rack kit that is still a helluva lot cheaper than a TCP rack check out www.randallsrack.com, my personal choice, or www.speeddirect.com. both of these kits are bolt in and are far better engineered than the FR junk. sorry if i screwed up your plans or anything but i think you should be prepared especially with a PT car and the bumpsteer issue the FR racks have. if you want more info on what i'm talking about check out www.vintage-mustang.com or www.stangnet.com and do a search for "flaming river"

kmcanally
02-03-2005, 04:58 AM
I like your car alot! Mustangs are a little rare on this site...and yours is pretty serious. I too have the full GW in my 68 coupe, but also with the GW rebuilt PS box...I did not know about the FR issues posted.

DJ Mabe
02-03-2005, 08:06 AM
bnickel,

Thanks for the input. I have the rack on the car and have driven it. I didn't know about their issues until after I bought the kit (typical). I didn't have as bad of problems as some of the guys. My main issue was with the headers. I had to modify one tube and that was it. Everything else was pretty much straight forward with smaller issues that were easy fixes. As for the driving of the car, it drives ten times better than it did with the stock set up, but I haven't tracked the car so who knows how capable it will be. I am happy with its street ability, though I can't compare to the other kits because I haven't seen them or ridden in a car with one. I'm sure they are better from what some of the others have told me. At least mine is in the car and driving down the road now(almost, still have to finish the body). Thanks for the heads up. kmcanally, I did notice that Mustangs do seem real rare on this site. It always shocks me at how many are still on the road but none of the Mustang guys make their cars super nice (like most of the Camaros on this site).

kmcanally
02-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I think the majority of Mustang owners are still into the chalk mark resto stuff...

colt zantop
02-03-2005, 02:21 PM
very nice!

Restomod
02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Looks killer ,cant wait to see the finished ride!!

fvike
02-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Wow, that's a sweet car you got there. As for rack & pinion, I've ordered one from a swede. Look at his website www.vikingmustang.com/Rack&pinion.asp (http://www.vikingmustang.com).
An roadtest on that rack & pinion can be found here (http://www.vikingmustang.com/News_02.asp)

I don't know about aveilability in the US, but he has plans to get it on the market there too. More info in this Stangnet forum post (http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=469722).
Anyway, he made me an preproduction one, and I should recive it shortly. It might be a good alternative to the troubled Flaming River, and the expencive Total Control Products.

DJ Mabe
02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks for your feedback guys. I appreciate your kind words. It's always good to hear that someone other than you thinks your car look pretty good.

DJ

kmcanally
02-07-2005, 04:02 AM
what size are the front wheels and what is the backspacing and tire size?

DJ Mabe
02-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Right now I have TTII's on the car that are 17x7 with 4 1/2 of backspacing. The rears are 17x9.5 with 5 3/4 of backspacing and I still have about 1/2 inside and 3/4 outside. I want to go with a 10" rim on the rears.

Derrick