PDA

View Full Version : Heat/ AC Bulkhead Which One?

Motown 454
03-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone, I need to pick up a bulkhead to use for a gen 4 Vintage Air system on my 69 Camaro. I am putting the bulkhead under the passenger fender where the fan used to be. I was wondering if the 4 port square or the 4 port offset ( sort of diamond shape)work out better? I didn't know if it makes a difference under the dash in making the hoses fit easier connecting from the inside unit. I would appreciate any advise or pictures anyone has or links to install info. Thank you in advance .
Wayne

ProdigyCustoms
03-30-2008, 07:45 AM
I have a way to skip the bulkhead and run the hoses through the old heater blower motor hole. It is a better deal, prevents having to make those PIA little hoses under the dash, and also is less likely to leak (less connections), and cost $10 instead of $150 for bulhead and fitting kit.

01somta
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I have a way to skip the bulkhead and run the hoses through the old heater blower motor hole. It is a better deal, prevents having to make those PIA little hoses under the dash, and also is less likely to leak (less connections), and cost $10 instead of $150 for bulhead and fitting kit.

Do you have any pictures of this?

ProdigyCustoms
03-31-2008, 03:38 AM
Here is a picture of Lisa's EmptyNest with the hose provisions installed

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Ad a picture of her hoses

01somta
03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow that looks great Frank!! Are those just grommets that you can get at a local parts store?

Motown 454
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks Frank, I'm trying to get everything ready for the AC. I will be calling you later this summer for the unit, but wanted to get the fire wall ready. What size holes do I need to drill, are they different sizes and should I get them from you now or wait until I order the AC from you? Thank you for your help Wayne

MarkM66
04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Wow that looks great Frank!! Are those just grommets that you can get at a local parts store?

The ones I've seen are basically threaded aluminum grommits. One side goes through the firewall, then the other side screws on.

Works great, nice an clean.

But would be a hassle if you ever had to remove the system.

01somta
04-05-2008, 05:54 AM
The ones I've seen are basically threaded aluminum grommits. One side goes through the firewall, then the other side screws on.

Works great, nice an clean.

But would be a hassle if you ever had to remove the system.

Very true.

70bird
04-05-2008, 07:33 AM
This is an in-line 4 port bulkhead from VA. Sorry for the bad pic, but the 4th port is up under the fender (pass. side) Allows a little better access to the hoses (except the top one)without having to remove the inner fender.

ProdigyCustoms
04-05-2008, 08:37 AM
These are just rubber through hull grommets. Just drill (4) 1" holes with a hole saw, you can get the rubbers later with the system. I just like to try and avoid to many extra connections, especially in hard to reach areas like under dash

Rileys68Camaro
07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I've seen where someone, I think it was shannon67, used a piece from the Sure Fit VA kit that had the four holes in it, and mounted that piece in the blower motor hole. Looked nice, not as nice as the Prodigy way, but that's probably how I'll do mine for cost and time reasons.

Thanks for the tip Frank!

Modo Innovations
08-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Yes, it was me who used the VA unit. The plastic piece is from the Sure Fit kit. It has been a while since this pic was taken. If I remember correctly the VA instruction show to cut a hole in the firewall for the plastic piece to fit thru (factory a/c car). Just stuck it in the blower hole backwards.

Chevy Kid
08-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I did mine like Frank's. I just used grommets. I am using a VA Compac II unit. My car is cuurently blown apart for paint, but it worked great wnen the car was together.

I agree with Frank, the less connections the better. Those bulkheads have lots of o-rings to leak. My Dad just removed a bulkhead from a 54 Merc he was working on because of leaks. He made new hoses, with grommets, and all is well now. Something to think about.

No matter whick way you go, it will be a PITA if you have a hose go bad. For what we use these cars for, it's not likely to happen for a long time. How often does a hose go bad in you new daily driver?

Tim

parsonsj
08-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Frank,

Very nice! I was wondering the same thing myself... it's time for me to order my setup from you.

The Gen IV mockup unit really really helps with packaging decisions!

thanks again.

jp

67 caprice
09-03-2008, 04:58 AM
I now have A/C that works. I used Billet Aluminumn A/C Firewall Rings.
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/firewall-rings-billet-aluminum-166.php

Rhino
09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I hate to help bring a thread back from the dead, but have a related question.

I've been planning on running my A/C under the fender, just as shown, although have been wondering about drainage problems and where to pass into the passenger compartment from the vent area.
How have any of you gotten over this? Depending on where they pass from the vent area, was there anything special done to seal off the passenger compartment?

ProdigyCustoms
09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
We run them over the kick panel and use a trim plate to close the cowl vent hole. You can also use sticky Dynamat to cover that opening. There is no water leakage issues as the water drains away from the opening anyway. but you want to seal that area off to keep outside air from entering the cabin