PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make this master cylinder?

Dan W
03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Whats up guys, first post here. I've got an 88 Trans Am that I need to rework the master cylinder / booster on to make room for my turbo down pipe. I'm running Baer Track setup with the PBR calipers and 13" rotors on front and 12" rotors in the rear.

I'm going to run a hydraboost unit to take care of the brake booster problem but I still need to choose a new master cylinder. Because the 3rd gen fbody doesnt have alot of room between the master cylinder and the strut tower, I'd like to use a master cylinder that has downward facing ports for the brake lines. Does anyone know of a master cylinder that will work for this? If I need to, i could probably run the S-10 unit but would need to run a banjo fitting or some other type of 90 degree fitting out of the master to clear the strut tower.

In case your interested, the car has a t56 with a street twin and a ford 9", should fit in well here.

Randy67
03-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Dan,
My 03 Mustang GT has the brake lines going straight down. It is also hydroboosted as well. It has a slightly larger bore than the Cobra master does. The Cobra may be a better match for your calipers, as my calipers are 43 mm dual pistons. The Cobra has 38mm I believe (or close to that), which should be the same as the Baer ones.

Dan W
03-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Sweet, another ford part for my car to tick off the hard core gm guys!

Did you buy an aftermarket hydroboost setup or do a DIY setup?

Dan,
My 03 Mustang GT has the brake lines going straight down. It is also hydroboosted as well. It has a slightly larger bore than the Cobra master does. The Cobra may be a better match for your calipers, as my calipers are 43 mm dual pistons. The Cobra has 38mm I believe (or close to that), which should be the same as the Baer ones.

Randy67
03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Actually it is factory installed. The 4.6L is so wide that traditional boosters won't fit, so they all have hydroboost (GT, Cobra, Mach 1) from Ford. So they are easily found at the local parts store or your favorite pull-a-part. You can see it in the picture below, sorry not the greatest picture.

Dan W
03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I just stopped by advanced auto. The good news is that they showed the same part number for master cylinder for both the cobra and the GT. They had two part numbers, one for with traction control and one without. Bad news is they didnt have one on hand that I could look at.

What you just told me makes it really simple for me... I'll pull both the hydraboost and the master cylinder from the same car. Voila, no compatibility issues.

Many Thanks,
-Dan