PDA

View Full Version : Caprice/Impala gas tank in 1st gen Camaro?

69Myway
08-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Does anybody know if a late model caprice/impala gas tank will fit a 1st gen camaro?

I am pretty sure the fuel intake is in the back behind the tag just like the camaro. The cool thing is these tanks are baffled and already have electric pumps installed. That last gen caprice had plastic tanks.

This would be soooo cool for many reasons, but mostly to ease the fuel delivery system for my EFI.

Any input on this swap would be appreciated.

Q ship
08-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Chris, I really kind of doubt it. The earlier cars tanks bolt on place of the later plastic tanks, and my tank is 38x25x7, 22 gallons. I think the plastic tank dimensions are close to that, as I am pretty sure they interchange both ways. FWIW, my tank is an '85 up metal tank and it is baffled for an internal pump. I swapped the TBI pump for a Walbro MPI pump. Back to the point, I'm pretty sure a first gen tank is not that big? HTH.

69Myway
08-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Chris, I really kind of doubt it. The earlier cars tanks bolt on place of the later plastic tanks, and my tank is 38x25x7, 22 gallons. I think the plastic tank dimensions are close to that, as I am pretty sure they interchange both ways. FWIW, my tank is an '85 up metal tank and it is baffled for an internal pump. I swapped the TBI pump for a Walbro MPI pump. Back to the point, I'm pretty sure a first gen tank is not that big? HTH.

Thanks for the measurments. I will bounce that off my tank and see. At 22 gallons though, I do agree it is going to be larger.

130fe
08-20-2004, 05:08 PM
If you are talking about the plastic tanks from the 93- and up they will not fit. I tried with one in my 68 and it is too long (front to rear). The front (with the fuel lines) hits the rear end. The width is really close for the stock leaf spring locations (approx 1/2 inch free space on each side). I considered this but abandoned it. Would have been cool and cheaper (than my Rock Valley tank.) Hope this helps you.

69Myway
08-21-2004, 03:37 AM
If you are talking about the plastic tanks from the 93- and up they will not fit. I tried with one in my 68 and it is too long (front to rear). The front (with the fuel lines) hits the rear end. The width is really close for the stock leaf spring locations (approx 1/2 inch free space on each side). I considered this but abandoned it. Would have been cool and cheaper (than my Rock Valley tank.) Hope this helps you.
Yes, that is the info I was looking for. I saw a 93'ish Impala ss yesterday. Yep....climbed right under it to get a view. The tank is a nice looking unit.

Hmmm, considering I am running a ford 9", I assume I will have even less room front to rear.

So you actually had a tank and tried to cram it in there.

In retrospect, was there anyway to modify the rear lower body panel or other aspect of the car to make it work?

JL8Jeff
08-24-2004, 09:11 AM
I talked to a guy who put a newer LT1 into a 70 Z28 and he said he used the tank from a Cadillac. I've searched all over for any Cadillac tank that would work, but I couldn't find anything that looked like it would fit.

130fe
08-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Chris, from what I can tell (about modifying the car), the tank is too big. Maybe someone else might have more feedback on this. Hope this helps.

69Myway
06-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Just FYI, I was able to pull off this mod.

1. I used a heat gun and gently curved in the tank right at the differential. It was an easy and smooth process by applying some heat and then pressure to curve it in.

2. I cut the floor pan out of the Caprice that humps up to clear the fuel pump/sender location. I cut the Camaro trunk and made it to where the Caprice panel could be removed for quick access.

3. I used the Caprice straps hooked into the stock camaro location in the rear and dropped new carrage bolts down from plates in the floor for the front.

4. I cut the metal part of the caprice neck shorter and made a simple quick bracket to get the filler neck in the right spot.

5. Running a Walbro 255 pump and using the stock Caprice sending unit on the autometer gauge.

It is a tight fit but works great.

Looks great from behind.

My total cost was $0. I had a caprice parts car that I took the parts from. Was able to sell the LT1 and trans, etc. from the caprice to cover the cost of buying the car. I also used the power windows and many different wire harness parts from the donor car.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/06/fuelcell2JPG-1.jpg

Chevy
08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
That looks incredible. It took a little time, but you did something new and it looks great and was cheap too! Awesome.

Karch
06-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I am planning to do this as well, and I thought it is such a nice install, that it's worthy of a bump.

rohrt
06-20-2007, 06:01 AM
I would sure like to see an aftermark plastic tank like that come out for our cars. Something that didn't require modification, that would fit a mini tubbed car, had all the baffles, could use a stock or EFI sending unit and that a person can afford. I like the swap Idea but not the cutting out of my trunk floor.

John Wright
06-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Just FYI, I was able to pull off this mod.

Quick question.....I don't see any exhaust in the pic...were you able to sneak some exhaust pipe through by the tank?

PhillipM
06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I picked up one of these tanks for our Studebaker project. I think we paid 100 bucks for the tank/pump module/staps.

69Myway
06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Quick question.....I don't see any exhaust in the pic...were you able to sneak some exhaust pipe through by the tank?

Yes

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/camaro_tank_complete-1.jpg

neki67
06-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Would this tank fit when you have a (Fays) Watts link installed? Or is this tank longer than the original?

69Myway
06-25-2010, 02:17 AM
This tank is bigger all the way around, so it is doubtful. I do love the extra capacity. When road running - it goes forever compared to the stock quantity tank.

XLexusTech
06-25-2010, 02:42 AM
This tank is bigger all the way around, so it is doubtful. I do love the extra capacity. When road running - it goes forever compared to the stock quantity tank.

I dig it.... any pics of the trunk Mod?

John Wright
06-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Yes

Shoot Chris, that is exactly where my exhaust exits now(well, mine might turn down a little bit further back)...but anyway....cool deal! Thanks for the pic.<pondering this tank vs modifying a stock 2 gen tank for baffles and internal EFI fuel pump>