PDA

View Full Version : Odd 68 Camaro?

justasquid
03-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I have a 68 camaro. I was lucky enough to recieve the protecto plate with the car along with the owners manual and various other items which helped me decode the car.

According to the information I have with the car. Its a base model v-8 camaro. 327 with a 2 speed powerglide.

the strange part is the paint code comes back as a blue with white stripe. Did they offer a stripe for a non SS or RS car? Also it has front power disc brakes, power steering, 4 leafs in the rear. Items that usually do not come on a base car.

The car had been repainted white over its original blue paint. After sanding on the car, There is in fact a bubble bee stripe across the front just as the numbers decode. there is also two holes on the front end of the fender in between the stipes... I'm assuming where there were probably 327 emblems.

I know the car is not an ss or rs. But its weird that someone would basically order all of the options that came on a ss (aside from the powertrain) on a base car. It seems as if they ordered an SS, it probably would have been cheaper than to oder all the exta options on a base car... I dunno..

anyone ever hear of this? I really didnt think you could get a stripe from the factory without a ss or rs package.

Damn True
03-21-2008, 01:01 PM
You could order darn near anything. It just didn't happen very often because the turn around time was often 2-3mos.

MrQuick
03-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Does it have the nose stripe (bumble bee) or full length Z28 type? Kinda confusing.

You can get the nose stripe on any V8 car.

Steve68
03-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Does it have the nose stripe (bumble bee) or full length Z28 type? Kinda confusing.

You can get the nose stripe on any V8 car.

Ya what he said, but it would be the SS stripe down the side, which I think it had to be a SS to get that, you could get the nose stripe,

justasquid
03-21-2008, 07:42 PM
It is the front end bumble bee stripe.

I just thought it was weird that it has all of the options that it does and being a base model car.

thanks for the information. It cleared up the confusion on my part. I am just getting into researching 1st gen camaros. I can't believe how hard it is to decode a 68 camaro..

thanks again.

MuscleRodz
03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
It is the front end bumble bee stripe.

I just thought it was weird that it has all of the options that it does and being a base model car.

thanks for the information. It cleared up the confusion on my part. I am just getting into researching 1st gen camaros. I can't believe how hard it is to decode a 68 camaro..

thanks again.Bumble bee stripe is not uncommon. My mom had a 68 327/pg car with bumble bee stripe and white vinyl top, ps, pb, console, etc.

justasquid
03-22-2008, 05:05 PM
thanks,

I am still learning about 1st gen camaros.

Not that any of it matters as its not going to be original anyway. I was just curious. I still have plans on an ls1 with a 6 speed. It will be a little down the road. I just want to get the body work done. Man I hate body work...:banghead:

thanks again,

stewy
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Did your car have a vinyl top? I have seen 327 cars with the bumble bee stripe. In fact I have a picture of an original paint one. I have never seen the stripe color on a 68 trim tag, could it have been a vinyl top?

73z-6sp
05-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I have a 68 I bought in 1992. It had the original paint on it then. 327/PG car. Plane Jane but it too had an SS stripe. (Full stripe down the sides of car) It looked to be as original as the paint. I suspect it was applied by the dealer though I don't know. It was vinyl sticker from the wheel opening back and was painted on the header panel and forward fender. It looked good white and black. Black vinyl roof too.

Steve68
05-08-2008, 12:23 PM
odd, could have been dealer,

justasquid
05-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Stewy,

The paint code I pulled was from the protoplate. But, upon a little more investigation, it looks like you are correct. It was a black vinyl top originally, code of F2. Apparently I was mistaken. I'm not sure where I got that previous information now. I could have sworn I found the color with the stripe somewhere during my research of the car. I have been to so many websites, I can't remember which one is which..

Thanks,

BonzoHansen
05-17-2008, 09:31 AM
This might help you with the trim tag and such: http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml