PDA

View Full Version : Help from the classic stang crowd

zachatola
02-01-2005, 06:15 PM
K guys i dont plan on running road courses or anything just want a nice front suspension that is strong and works well. This is all for a 65 stang coupe. Ive been looking at a heidts front end and i was wondering what you guys think about how they are designed and quality of construction? I dont know what the plans hold in store for the rear but im looking at 18x8 front and 18x10s rear. What do you guys think?? Any comments or ideas? Also anyone seen a 64-66 coupe with 18s? Even better anyone got any pics? Ive never seen or heard of one, there has to be some out there.

Opentracker
02-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Check out this site - http://www.dodgestang.com/mustang.htm - he has 17's on his car and a great wheel and tire chart. You can make these cars drive nice with a modified stock suspension.

John

Marcus SC&C
02-02-2005, 05:24 PM
We do quite a bit of Mustang work at our shop. I`ve used a lot of products from Total Control and Mustangs Plus in the past. They`re a step in the right direction. We`ve done a lot of one off custom parts and mods on them too. I haven`t done the Heidts front end swap on a Stang yet but I have used their Chevy II setup which is almost identical. IMO it`s absolutely the way to go.
As a rule their parts bolt right in (they actually fit...properly!) and work quite well. Quality is top shelf,welds are textbook. I`d suggest a nice brake upgrade as part of the package. The 11" upgrade is okay, Baer or Wilwoods are better.
Get the tubular control arm option. Not so much for the arms (although they`re cool and well made) but because they use different ball joints with taller studs that improve the geometry over stock. The geometry isn`t "road racer ideal" to be sure but it`s pretty darn good for a street car and a quantum leap ahead of stock Mustang! The bumpsteer is minimal too and the R&B works and has much better road feel than the TC Mustang R&P conversion. It also opens up a huge amount of room in the engine compartment by getting rid of the shock towers. Nice setup IMO.
18"s sound good to me. It introduces an asthetic (and to a lesser extent performance) incentive for larger dia. brakes though. Anything smaller than 13" brakes looks pretty small behind 18"s...if you`re concerned about such things. Marcus SC&C