PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Optima batteries?

novaman_68
02-01-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't get it, why is everybody running Optima batts.? I know they resist shock and vibration better than old lead plate batts. but a conventional batt. will last 6 or 7 years at least, and I can buy 3 conventional batteries for the price of an Optima. Is it just because they are prettier? Please somebody let me in the loop. :attn:

Larry Callahan
02-01-2005, 05:23 PM
I have 2 in my trunk. I discharge them and charge them all the time. I've not driven my car in years except for one weekend. One battery lasted over 6 years and the other is still holding a charge. Another nice thing is there is no acid or the normal corrosion to deal with. I've even pulled them out and used them temorarally in other cars and they work great for me.

I'm hooked.

Just my two cents.

rockdogz
02-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Although I haven't tried it, you're supposed to be able to mount them in any orientation.

ZZ430
02-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I've been using them for many years. They were actually developed across the street from our old shop.

Here's some good info:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/technology/faq.html

myclone
02-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Optimas are one of the best deals going IMO. I have 5 of them between my vehicles and they have yet to let me down. The batt in my syclone is 5+yrs old and sits for months on end and Ive only managed to run it down one time by leaving the dome light on for several weeks. After a quick charge it fired the truck right off and accepted a full charge in no time and hasnt given me a minutes trouble since. The one thats mounted in my car trailer for the winch and hydraulic tilt function gets used even less not to mention it takes quite a beating when the trailer is empty while being dragged down the freeway at ~75mph and it has never failed.

Not only can you mount them in any position you want (I ran one in an old car mounted on its side) you dont have to worry about the corrosive gasses affecting surrounding components or that nasty white trash that builds up on the terminals of lead acid batteries thats a real pleasure to clean.

I dont see the cost effectiveness of lead acids myself since advanced auto sells red top optimas for 109.00 compared to the price of a decent quality lead acid battery. Sure you can buy several cheapy lead acids or a couple quality lead acids in the time it would take to wear out an optima but whats the point if you still have to put up with the corrosive gasses and corroded components that surround it? No thanks, Ill buy an optima and forget it for 6 or 7 years.

novaman_68
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Wow $109, that's a lot cheaper than $160 at Autozone. Unfortunately I don't know of any Advance Auto stores in my area. After a little looking I did find a red top in Summit for $119. I originally found the group 31 yellow top for $189 in summit and thats what scared me. Thanks for the info guys. :cool:

MrQuick
02-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Also try your local Honda dealer, or stereo supply house. Usually pretty cheap there too...I get em for $96. They are nice for the reasons above,no corrosion is my plus. They do go bad and when they do you will know it. The one I had fail on me did not wat to charge at all.

DB Z28
02-02-2005, 04:41 AM
Nothing worse than a lead acid battery leaking acid on your new paint job no fumes also.The only way to go. I had it Happen in the trunk what a mess. They also they last a lot longer. Will never go back to old batteries

68protouring454
02-02-2005, 05:26 AM
i got my napa style dry cell battery for my 68 for 96 bucks too, forget who makes the napa batteries but is works awesome and has both style posts on it
jake

Midwest Performance
02-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I had a boat that I used an Optima in. I took it to the lake cranked on the boat for 15 min to get it started for the first time of the season(very cold blooded). It started and we warmed up the boat and took off and after joy riding for another 15 min I noticed that I only had 9 volts. I headed for the ramp(which took another 15 min). and loaded the boat up. I checked the alternator and the brushes had poped out of their holders and was charging little to none.
So I cranked the boat started it and drove it for 30 minutes with little to no charging.
I'm sold on it being a very good battery. I'll use it in any vehicle that needs a battery replaced from now on.
Even better is the battery was used by the Arizona police for 1 year before I bought it for 60 bucks. They use batteries for a year and get new ones due to the electrical demands of the cars.

Kevin

Kenova
02-02-2005, 08:58 AM
This question has been burning a hole in my head for some time. In regards to an NHRA Tech inspection; does a trunk mounted Optima batt need to be boxed and vented if you do not have a firewall for your trunk?
I've read that they are fume-less, but was wondering if NHRA tach inspectors accept this.
Ken

Stu Seitz
02-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Costco has them for $96 also.

Steve1968LS2
02-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Costco has them for $96 also.

keep in mind these are slightly different than the nomal ones.

Although im running a different type of gel-cell battery in my 69 I must say that Optima (and batts like them) are great.

They are safer in a collision (no acid). they can be mounted in any position, they hold charge longer and respond to re-charging better and they have zero chance of screwing up your paint.

Cheap insurance for $100 IMO.. :)

sporter
02-12-2005, 01:25 PM
My wife's old SSEi had a short to ground in the primary positive battery cable and literally melted the positive side post off the battery. I pulled the battery and put it in another car that used the top posts and it worked for several more years. The Optimas are plenty tough.